Bachmann 40 - conversion to EM

• RMweb Premium

Over the last 2-3 days I've been giving thought about how to convert the new Bachmann Class 40 to EM gauge. As you will all know, the model is one of the newer "split axle" ones from Bachmann which makes conversion far from straightforward.

Ultrascale have confirmed to me that they are not going ahead with any replacement wheelsets due to perceived lack of demand to cover development costs.

There was an article in the most recent EMGS newsletter (#203, January 2015) by Phil Tattershall who had used Branchlines replacement wheels (14mm on half axles) to re-wheel his LMS 10001, which has the same split-axle design as the 40 and indeed, Phil mentions that he may adopt a similar approach to a Class 40, albeit the 40 having the scale equivalent of 15mm wheels.

My question is, has anyone else looked at this or better still, actually carried out a successful conversion?

I have looked at just drifting the wheels out on the axle as I know some people do this, but I've never been a fan of this. I always think it likely to affect the running tolerances of the wheel and decrease the "fit" of the axle on the wheel.

I did get some helpful feedback from Lee "Blueeighties" of this parish which I gratefully acknowledge.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this matter would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Douglas

• RMweb Premium

You could try conductive paint between the tyre and the axle to provide pick ups?  You could then use whatever wheels you choose with axles cut to appropriate length.  As a general rule I tend to use Keen Maygib 14.5mm coach disc wheels for locos with 3'9" wheels and their 12mm disc for the pony wheels on my Peaks and the Hornby Railroad 40 that I might finish one day.  [edit] I'm assuming here that the half axle is 2mm diameter I've not had one to bits to have a look

The approach of drifting the wheel out on the existing axle does work, I've run a number of Bachmann locos which were converted in this way and had no reliability issues (although these do not rely on the axle for pick ups), I've gradually replaced these with "proper" EM wheels now though.

Thanks for being understanding!

I'm not all sure that this would work for the 40, but it does work for the Bachmann 108 dmu which is also a split axle design in its as bought condition. I have converted two 108s to P4 using this webpage as a guide, perhaps it might help you too.

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/project_class108.html

I'd be interested to know how you get on, as I shall be buying a Bachmann 40 as soon as the company get round to issuing an all green fronted non DCC variant.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I'm going to have a fiddle with it toward the end of the week when I've got a bit more time to spare.

Really hope I can sort this as I heard Legomanbiffo's new Class 40 sound chip at Stafford earlier today and was mightily impressed.

Douglas

• 2 months later...

Because the gear is moulded integral with the central plastic muff that splits the two wheel and stub axle castings. I'd be thinking a pair of spacers to bump the wheel and stub axle castings out to EM, and secure with Araldite for a solid job. Add packing for side to side control and wiper pick ups of whatever design you favour as required.

The split axle principle is a very sound one, and as Bachmann have applied it on light vehicles collecting through axle ends - pinpoints wherever possible -  much to be welcomed. Just compare the rollability of their Mk1 Pullmans with Hornbys axle wiper solution - no contest.

But for heavy locos, I feel insulated wheelsets on a steel axle with wheelback wipers are the solid winner. Rather glad I have all the diesels I need obtained while Bachmann were still using this well proven scheme.

Archived