Hornby CLASS 40 TTS NOW IN STOCK

brittannia

Was in Arcadia , Shaw today, chap buying new Hornby class green small yellow panel 40 TTS locomotive, sounds were quite good, body finish similar to the class 37 not too much decoration and paintwork seemed a little "flat" in my opinion, but a cheap price, not sure of price but discounted to other sellers prices

There's a video on Youtube

It seems to be a noisy beast - this may be an artefact of the recording, but it appears that the overall volume can be reduced by fiddling with CV182.  Dropping it a notch might be a good idea...  Overall, it sounds good!

(I just wanted to post a link, but its pulled in the video window...  soweeeee!)

That's a great vid , great loco, and nice sounds, what's not to like :)

A stupid question! Can I run this (and the Class 37TTS,47TTS) on DC without damage to the sound unit? {I know I wont get ant sound} Or should I disconnect the chip and put a blanking plug in the socket? Anybody know where I can get spare blanking plugs? Thanks

Following a very nice chat with someone at the above mentioned Arcadia this morning I've ordered the TTS Class 40 (which will have a body swap and lights fitted), along with a bargain Javelin and a decoder plus first class postage for £200.  A very good deal from an independant retailer.  It just goes to show!  They also appear to be having the new Hornby models before the box shifters and Hornby online which has to be good for them.

I've been guilty of using Hornby's Black Friday and the Amazon Sale Sunday but my most recent new release purchases have been through the Independants and I have to say all power to the independants with service like this. 

Well done guys!

Following a very nice chat with someone at the above mentioned Arcadia this morning I've ordered the TTS Class 40 (which will have a body swap and lights fitted), along with a bargain Javelin and a decoder plus first class postage for £200.  A very good deal from an independant retailer.  It just goes to show!  They also appear to be having the new Hornby models before the box shifters and Hornby online which has to be good for them.

I've been guilty of using Hornby's Black Friday and the Amazon Sale Sunday but my most recent new release purchases have been through the Independants and I have to say all power to the independants with service like this. 

Well done guys!

Glad you appear to have had a good experience with Arcadia.

I'm a regular there and have been for many years.

Tim runs the shop on his own with some help by his wife on paperwork and dispatching orders but she does not do any selling in the shop. He works damned hard to make it a good experience and keep customers happy. 

It's a shame he is being let down by manufacturers of British outline. The shelves are much depleted compared to a couple of years ago. When I was in on Monday he was saying what he really needs are what were always regular and good sellers like Black 5's, Britannia's , A4's, 8F's etc.

For people who do continental railways he still has a good selection.

• RMweb Premium

The sound seems very impressive from the video, thank you for posting. Whilst the ex-Lima class 40 is not in the same class as the Bachmann model it isn't a bad model and to get it with what seems to be a very good sound system and DCC for an SRP is remarkable value for money. Hornby really deserve to do well out of their TTS idea, it is a properly great innovation.

A stupid question! Can I run this (and the Class 37TTS,47TTS) on DC without damage to the sound unit? {I know I wont get ant sound} Or should I disconnect the chip and put a blanking plug in the socket? Anybody know where I can get spare blanking plugs? Thanks

I believe the TTS locos will work on straight DC and the basic sound WILL work , but not the ancillaries like horns or brake sounds???? 

I believe the TTS locos will work on straight DC and the basic sound WILL work , but not the ancillaries like horns or brake sounds???? 

All sound/s can only be played when DCC powered, although the loco will run on DC, probably best to remove the 8pin plug and replace it with a DC blanking plate.

A TTS loco will run on DC but no sounds are made unlike a normal DCC sound loco which will switch to a generic sound.

However me personally, I am wary of running DCC locos in DC mode.

• RMweb Gold

I had one of these on long-term back order with Amazon. They've advised this week that it cannot be sourced by them, so sounds like Hornby have backed out of the deal, it was very cheap as well, so a bit disappointed.

Neil

Its odd to see Railroad models generating this level of interest! 

Odd in a feel-good way. As others have said, the ex-Lima 40 is not a bad model. A few details here and there and I think it would make a very respectable addition to anyone's fleet. Compare the price with the cost of a new Bachmann 40 and quality sound chip/speaker and look at the money left over... I could have a nice weekend away with the wife. Come to think of it, for just a little more, I could have a nice weekend away without the wife...

• RMweb Gold

Right then 2 ordered from Hereford Model Centre - am planning to remove the sound chips and fit them to Bachmann Class 40s ...

Looking forward to this - does the sound chip and speaker just come straight out or is there soldering involved ??

Ben

Archived