Reconstructing a Lima locomotive

petertg

Hello all!
As mentioned in other parts of the web, I have two old Lima H0 electric locomotives that I need to keep, because scrapping them would mean scrapping 80% of my passenger and goods stock, which is also old and incompatible with more modern locomotives.
For one of them, I am wondering whether it would be possible to remove the pancake motor and remodel the bogie to allow a more modern motor to be installed. I assume that, in theory, it would be possible, but would like to know opinions on the feasibility of such a project and, also, ideas on how to set about it.
I would also be interested in replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs and upgrading to show reds at the opposite end to the whites. Currently the lights are on only at one end at a time.
Thanking you in advance for any help and advice that can be given.

Hello all!

As mentioned in other parts of the web, I have two old Lima H0 electric locomotives that I need to keep, because scrapping them would mean scrapping 80% of my passenger and goods stock, which is also old and incompatible with more modern locomotives.

For one of them, I am wondering whether it would be possible to remove the pancake motor and remodel the bogie to allow a more modern motor to be installed. I assume that, in theory, it would be possible, but would like to know opinions on the feasibility of such a project and, also, ideas on how to set about it.

I would also be interested in replacing the incandescent bulbs with LEDs and upgrading to show reds at the opposite end to the whites. Currently the lights are on only at one end at a time.

Thanking you in advance for any help and advice that can be given.

There's an excellent thread here,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92209-lima-final-drive-gears/

which has lots of useful info about Lima power bogies, both remotoring and gear issues.

Well worth a read. Hope this helps.

Scalextric drive pinions fit most of these computer motors and mesh with the Lima gear train, I have at least 3 Lima class 37s and a 33 converted to a 26 with these motors.   The wider motors fit the 2 axle chassis but the 3 axle version only takes the narrower versions, though I have ground away the lower edge on one motor to give clearance for the middle wheels  My chassis use 2X AA batteries as power suitable resistors will be needed if you use 12 volt track power.

I have read through the material suggested, but that is not what I am thinking about. My idea is to have, only gears, or a gearbox, in the bogie and a separate motor in the body, driving with a prop shaft or a worm, keeping only the outer frame of the present bogie. Is this feasable?

I have read through the material suggested, but that is not what I am thinking about. My idea is to have, only gears, or a gearbox, in the bogie and a separate motor in the body, driving with a prop shaft or a worm, keeping only the outer frame of the present bogie. Is this feasable?

Yes; provided someone does a loco with suitable wheelbase bogies as a donor. Some Co-Cos might be covered by items in the Hornby range; Bo-Bos are more limited, though perhaps the bogie from the Limby Class 20 could be used. All the items are usually available from Peter's Models or East Kent Models. To work out which bits might be of use look at the Service Sheet PDFs on the Hornby site.

Hi,

It is also possible to rebuild a Lima pancake bogie to eliminate the armature and brushgear, replacing those with a bevel gearset fitted to the stripped motor shaft and arranging a drive through a universal joint to a flywheel equiped motor mounted in the centre of the chassis.

This rebuild does require some work to mount the bevel drive set but can be made to work perfectly.

A good few years ago I did just this with a Lima 'Western'.

This interests me. Can you give more details and tell me where I can get the necessary parts, bearing in mind that I live abroad and would probably have to order them from the U.K.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

TheWeatheringMan, where did you get to?

Petertg,

I'm sorry to inform you that it appears 'The WeatheringMan'  may have left this forum. I'd thought he'd only ceased to contribute to the 'Great British Locomotives' thread where his knowledge and reviews of the models in that series were greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately he took umbrage over a couple of recent postings by others and not only stated he would not contribute further , but also seems to have removed all of his previous postings on that thread.

Many regular contributors to the GBL thread are unclear as to what seems to have upset him so much, but he has stated that he will post no more on there.

Having said that, it is worthwhile noting that when he did actively contribute, there were periods when ill health prevented him from posting when he would have wanted to and it is possible that this is the case here.

RMWebbers on the GBL thread were always sympathetic and supportive when ill health prevented The WeatheringMan's participation and it has only been this recent 'incident' which has caused some consternation and questioning of attitude.

I trust you will understand I am not expressing an opinion about the individual or the above matter, just relating to you possible reasons why you have not received your anticipated response.

Regards,

John

• 1 month later...

Hadn't spotted this thread before, and would suggest something I have done: select the drive train that is the best match in a current model, and use the old model's exterior parts to reclad the new drive entirely. Just what is available that would be a decent match for your HO models will need research. It may well be that many drives for OO simply will not fit inside an HO body shell, and it will be HO drives you have to look at.

It can be 'tight' in OO. I remotored a Hornby NBL BoBo with a Bachmann class 25 mechanism, and had to file a taper into the sides of the chassis block to enable this to fit inside the (correctly) tapering body of the Hornby model. Worth it as the running is now to the best standard available in low cost RTR.

Archived