• RMweb Premium

I am trying to finish and refurbish some old MAJ/Colin Ashby (not always sure which) wagon kits for which I no longer have all the instructions and those I do have do not answer my question.

The question is this. Which LYR wagons had the distinctive curved brake lever? As far as I can see it was confined to the 10ft 6in and 12ft wheel base wagons, and probably not the latter. I have volume 1 of the LYR wagons book but there are very few photos with the curved lever and I have not yet spotted a drawing.

And a secondary question is whether all these 10ft 6in and 12ft wagons had brakes both sides. Again the book   doesn't seem to be clear. 

As you will gather the LYR is not my special subject and I only have a few wagons as visitors, mainly because the kits were available at the time - and I rather liked the curved levers.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

I am trying to finish and refurbish some old MAJ/Colin Ashby (not always sure which) wagon kits for which I no longer have all the instructions and those I do have do not answer my question.

The question is this. Which LYR wagons had the distinctive curved brake lever? As far as I can see it was confined to the 10ft 6in and 12ft wheel base wagons, and probably not the latter. I have volume 1 of the LYR wagons book but there are very few photos with the curved lever and I have not yet spotted a drawing.

And a secondary question is whether all these 10ft 6in and 12ft wagons had brakes both sides. Again the book   doesn't seem to be clear. 

As you will gather the LYR is not my special subject and I only have a few wagons as visitors, mainly because the kits were available at the time - and I rather liked the curved levers.

Jonathan

I will be able to have a look in my pile of instructions later and respond tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

Not much help at all ....

But, in a letter from John Hodgson I had in 1978, the 10' 6" w/b Vans had straight levers..
On page 120 of L&Y Miscelany Vol. 2, there's 2 what look to be 10' 6" w/b trucks (single planker and double end door) and they have straight levers too.
I know somewhere !!!! I have the kits and their instructions to, but where? 

Sod's Law is that 3 weeks ago I donated a mass of material to relavent bodies or friends, including an original L&Y diagram book and some wagon GA's - "After some 40 years and failing eye sight, I don't think I need these anymore" ?????? :stinker:

• RMweb Premium

i opened a MAJ kit and the instructions say for the short wheelbase wagon unfitted use the curved brake lever long wheelbase the straight lever, for a fitted wagon the lever is more complex in shape. If you want to PM me an email address I will scan the instructions for you. Sorry about the delay but wife's birthday takes precedence over railways....

I've just found some of the kits chassis mouldings, the curved levers are on the 10' 6" sprue, the straight levers are on the 12' sprue.

Perhaps the 10' 6" vans were different

They've been in a box for 20+ years... Some other interesting bits in there too - Ooops, must not be distracted.

• 1 year later...

I've just found some of the kits chassis mouldings, the curved levers are on the 10' 6" sprue, the straight levers are on the 12' sprue.

Perhaps the 10' 6" vans were different

They've been in a box for 20+ years... Some other interesting bits in there too - Ooops, must not be distracted.

The wagons I have seen with curved brake levers are D91 - which has "conventional" Morton brake gear with a single V hanger per side, and D93, which has the L&Y style brakegear with twin V hangers on one side. Both of these are 10"6" wheelbase.

But there could be others.

Striaght levers can be seen on both 10'6" and 12' wagons.

Drawings of a lot of wagon diagrams can be found here: http://www.lyrs.org.uk/PDFs-of-Scanned-Drawings

Chris

I remember my first MAJ kit. I fell in love with the L&Y's weird braking systems, and ended up practically every wagon in the range. All gone from me a long time ago, but I hope they're still trundling round someone's layout. 

Archived