Mk2 coaching question

jamessolomon

Got some BR Inter-city mk2 second coaches (R724) on hold at the local model shop and was wondering did BR ever run them as complete mk2 rake or mixed it with mk1s but i guess there must be some sort of compatibility issue between the mk1 and mk2 or something similar. What was the purpose of the center door when it had doors at either end of the coach seemed a little weird to me considering they tried the gangway doors on the ends of the coach but got rid of them as they proved troublesome. Where mk1s confined to urban routes when BR introduced the Mk2 meaning that it replaced them on express services to upgrade services, quality for passengers and the company image

• Like 1

This is an early Mark 2 or Mark 2A coach
Basically it is just an updated Mark 1 coach, hence why it retained the centre door

Later versions of the Mark 2 coach saw an end to the centre door in order to increase seating and storage space and improve air conditioning suitability

It would have been possible to see Mark 1 coaches mixed with Mark 2 coaches, but it would depend on the braking systems fitted to each coach and to a small degree the heating system

In order to simplify this issue many Mark 1 coaches were converted from Vacuum braking to Dual Braking, whilst others from Vacuum to Air Braking

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

There was no compatability issue between BR Mk1 and Mk2 coaches other than brakes (early Mk1 were vacuum brake only, later Mk2s were air-brake only) and heating (steam vs electric).

When introduced, the Mk2s would have been used on the

All through the BR period and into privatisation Mk1 and Mk2 coaches ran together - there were no Mk2 catering or full brake vehicles built. Trains needing restaurant or extra parcels space would have had Mk1 coaches.

Mk1, Mk2 and loco-haulled Mk3s could also be found in the same train.

Many of today's charter/steam special rakes are made from a mix of Mk1 and Mk2 coaches.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

When new the first mk2 the LMR used them on the newly completed electrified WL services (ignoring the early FKs), the 2As where mainly used on the ER first, it was the BFKs from this batch that the WR had converted from air brake to vacuum brake.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

There was no compatability issue between BR Mk1 and Mk2 coaches other than brakes (early Mk1 were vacuum brake only, later Mk2s were air-brake only) and heating (steam vs electric).

When introduced, the Mk2s would have been used on the

All through the BR period and into privatisation Mk1 and Mk2 coaches ran together - there were no Mk2 catering or full brake vehicles built. Trains needing restaurant or extra parcels space would have had Mk1 coaches.

Mk1, Mk2 and loco-haulled Mk3s could also be found in the same train.

You mean like this?

post-4474-0-11985200-1425654424_thumb.jpg

47523 heads north out of Stirling, bound for Inverness.  31st July 1985

• Like 8

Well, maybe you can work it out from this blown up image of the right hand door that is visible?

post-4474-0-69059300-1425672367_thumb.jpg

Looks like another Mk2 of some description, but I'm no expert.

Edited by jonny777

Iv got them running atm as 2nd - 2nd - mk1 buffet - 2nd but am thinking of adding a baggage car if i see one to make it a 5 car rake. Did they ever include brake coaches into a rake depending on the loco that hauled it or was it a route based thing also thinking of a 1st class coach to complete the rake. Have assigned my class 27 to haul it as it looks the part hauling the rake

Iv got them running atm as 2nd - 2nd - mk1 buffet - 2nd but am thinking of adding a baggage car if i see one to make it a 5 car rake. Did they ever include brake coaches into a rake depending on the loco that hauled it or was it a route based thing also thinking of a 1st class coach to complete the rake. Have assigned my class 27 to haul it as it looks the part hauling the rake

All loco hauled trains had to have at least one brake coach to accomodate the guard and provide a parking brake. Whether this was just accomodation for the guard plus luggage/parcels space or also contained passenger seating depended on the capacity required. Thus you could have a brake first (BFK) or brake second (BSO or BSK) with a BG (brake gangwayed)used for greater capacity.

Most long distance trains also contained 1st class seating, only some rural and commuter trains were second class only.

Edited by giz
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 years later...