Bachmann Blue Pullman

BobM

• RMweb Gold

Here's my converted Triang one as well, during construction:

blogentry-6720-0-90350000-1479057515.jpg

Mine uses Chris Leigh bogies, Genesis ends, Southern Pride window etches and black beetle bogies (two in one of the power cars, which is ample for an eight-unit set). I've been waiting

to source transfers, but someone has started selling suitable decals now so I can crack on with final finishing.

• Like 14

Incidentally, anyone who wants to model a grey/blue 8-car WR formation and has lots and lots of money can do so with the forthcoming Bachmann one, without making any bodily alterations other than renumbering. On 24/12/71 a hybrid set worked a special from London to Plymouth, returning on 28/12/71. In between, the ECS went to/from Bristol. The set was formed entirely of cars from the two 6-car sets, so it had four parlour firsts in the middle. I have some photos of the train in my collection but they do not show the full set. I believe there is an unpublished photo showing the full formation passing Laira on 28/12/71, taken by Bernard Mills. The workings were piloted over the South Devon banks. Six Bells Junction gives the cars used as "60092, 60732/742/743/733/740/741, 60093" but they cannot have been in that exact order as 60732 and 60733 were the motor kitchen firsts coupled to the power cars.

8682972275_e245805a5b_z.jpg52_Blue-Pull_Plymouth by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

8776492139_2f0a96f6f6_z.jpgBlue-Pull-rear_Plymouth_1971 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

8520527281_942e311efe_z.jpgBlue-Pull_Plymouth1 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

8534295303_c0fcabf766_z.jpgBlue-Pull_Plymouth2 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

I have no idea whether the set was formed specially for this working or whether it was simply the stand-by set at the time, with the three normal 8-car sets covering the three regular diagrams.

Edited by robertcwp
  • Like 12

Mmm have Bachmann not heard of market research, as much that I would like the blue grey pullman and I guess some others...the best part of 1k is a lot of dosh.

Perhaps they have and are pitching this towards 50- or 60-something year old 'returners' to the hobby with spare cash rather than those who are already established? 

As it happens, the livery I would like is nanking blue with yellow ends and jumpers, reflecting the period 1967-69 but I would not pay £100s extra for DCC control and sound, neither of which I need or want.

Guest Q663389

Thanks for this, but I'm fine with just the one.

John.

Thanks for the reply John.

The comment was intended for others, badly worded on my part. I did doubt you would want two, unless you had the second issue with different numbers and are running Up & Down trains passing one another. My set is new and unused and available at the original Hattons price less VAT if anyone's interested. Delivery would however BR mid May, as I would have to bring it back to the UK. A nostalgic purchase on my part as I am an O gauge modeller.

Regards

Alan

My set is new and unused and available at the original Hattons price less VAT if anyone's interested. Delivery would however BR mid May, as I would have to bring it back to the UK.

If it was purchased VAT-free for export, surely it'll be subject to VAT if re-imported?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Just seen in the latest BRM that this revised tooling means that they won't be producing any of the previous versions again?  Does anyone know why this update affects the original Bachmann Blue Pullman?

Edited by GWR8700

Just seen in the latest BRM that this revised tooling means that they won't be producing any of the previous versions again?  Does anyone know why this update affects the original Bachmann Blue Pullman?

It may be that the tooling itself has had to be modified to accommodate for the later changes, rather than the tooling having alternative parts than can be inserted to allow the different versions. As far as I'm aware, the only physical changes are likely to be to the ends of the power cars, with a coupling cutaway instead of the cover, and jumper cables. I guess some of the new detail will be moulded on, with maybe just the cables fitted as separate parts.   

• 3 weeks later...

Hi  Has anyone got a decent picture of the destination blind on the Western power cars.  Got a bit of a project going on here......  thank

Best I can find so far Ian is this Derek Everson shot taken in the Pullman Shed at Old Oak...

post-7638-0-34491400-1519057556_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

It may be that the tooling itself has had to be modified to accommodate for the later changes, rather than the tooling having alternative parts than can be inserted to allow the different versions. As far as I'm aware, the only physical changes are likely to be to the ends of the power cars, with a coupling cutaway instead of the cover, and jumper cables. I guess some of the new detail will be moulded on, with maybe just the cables fitted as separate parts.   

I understand that the tooling has indeed been modified so they can't simply change back to the original end without modifying the tooling again.

• RMweb Gold

I understand that the tooling has indeed been modified so they can't simply change back to the original end without modifying the tooling again.

Its possible, at a cost.

Given they have done 3 already (2x Blue + 1 Yellow ends) its market is well catered for already.

Indeed there isnt anything stopping them pressing out a few hundred driving car shells (unpainted/undecorated etc) and saving them in a box in the warehouse somewhere for the future before they retool either.

Edited by adb968008

Can't imagine its likely but they might if enough people ask. The other option is to look out here or on eBay for people selling excess coaches who don't have room for a 6-car set. That is how I got a couple extra for my N gauge set.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Any chance of Bachmann selling a pack of two coaches so that I can make up an eight car set. Yes I am aware of the detail differences but don't mind. Same as the extra APT-E coaches sold by Rapido/Locomotion.

The addition of two more coaches to the existing set is a bit more complicated than might seem at first glance. If two additional parlour cars are used, in the current six-car Bachmann set these happen to be the ones with an electrically dead coupling at one end. (The six car set consists of two electrically independent 3-car units, joined together with an electrically dead coupler). Using the two extra parlour cars as is, would result in the two centre coaches of the new 8-car set being electrically isolated from the rest of the unit.

So you would need to use the PCB’s from the kitchen cars, swopped over into the parlour cars together with their couplers to create two parlour cars with through wiring. These could then be inserted between the existing parlour cars and kitchen units... ie as the third and sixth coaches in the 8-car set. Thus the new configuration would be an 8 car set, the four centre coaches being parlour cars, with through wiring between the four cars at each end and just the one electrically dead coupler in the middle.

Edited by Chamby

It'll be interesting to see if they release the modified tooling in the Nanking Blue with yellow ends in which they ran in service for a few years. Hopefully they won't be put off by the sluggish response to the original custard dip version which was a very niche representation, they did operate for a couple of years in Nanking blue with multiple working jumpers, and it's probably the only other legit variant they can do from the modified tooling.

Much as I like the Grey Pullman, for some odd reason I actually prefer it to the original Nanking Blue, I could find a use for the yellow bib MU fitted Nanking Blue livery as they were used occasionally on weekend footy charters from the Midlands in 1968.

Can't imagine its likely but they might if enough people ask. The other option is to look out here or on eBay for people selling excess coaches who don't have room for a 6-car set. That is how I got a couple extra for my N gauge set.

Or attempt to broker a deal to split a set; Hattons and presumably other retailers still have new BP's on sale.

• 2 weeks later...

The addition of two more coaches to the existing set is a bit more complicated than might seem at first glance. If two additional parlour cars are used, in the current six-car Bachmann set these happen to be the ones with an electrically dead coupling at one end. (The six car set consists of two electrically independent 3-car units, joined together with an electrically dead coupler). Using the two extra parlour cars as is, would result in the two centre coaches of the new 8-car set being electrically isolated from the rest of the unit.

So you would need to use the PCB’s from the kitchen cars, swopped over into the parlour cars together with their couplers to create two parlour cars with through wiring. These could then be inserted between the existing parlour cars and kitchen units... ie as the third and sixth coaches in the 8-car set. Thus the new configuration would be an 8 car set, the four centre coaches being parlour cars, with through wiring between the four cars at each end and just the one electrically dead coupler in the middle.

Or the bodies are relatively easily swapped.  I bought a second unit (an expensive way to go but fixed the problem) and then dropped the Parlour Car bodies onto Kitchen underside.  These then fit neatly between power car and Kitchen with all the underside gubbins where it should be on the new parlour car.  I then removed the underside gubbins from the kitchen and there you have it.  8 car set in right formation and yes, the windows aren't quite right but still looks the business.  Actually the lack of destination blind annoys me more but I'm sure that will be fixed at some stage.  For an encore you then need to reverse the Kitchen cars as they are actually the other way round in the 8 cars sets.  Not as easy as it sounds.  Basically, take the body off and turn it around but..... you need to swap the light fitting in the roof round (two screws, pretty easy) and then cut the internal body work of the Kitchen to allow the connections that run from the floor to the roof to pass through.   There are a few halves of the carriages without table lamps but other than that a proper job.  Next up.... remove the Midlands, adjust the yellow ends and renumber....  simples.....  if anyone wants a 4 car unit that comprises of two power cars and two Kitchen Cars on parlour undersides then do let me know :) 

• Like 1

Another option would be to contact the Bachmann Service Centre and ask if they have any coaches from returned sets they could sell you.

Edit-

After reading the other posts it might be worth asking for kitchen car chassis and parlour car body but make sure you get the Parlour car bogies because the Kitchen card have powered bogies at the driving car end.

This is all getting a bit complicated/expensive now.

Edited by royaloak

Another option would be to contact the Bachmann Service Centre and ask if they have any coaches from returned sets they could sell you.

Edit-

After reading the other posts it might be worth asking for kitchen car chassis and parlour car body but make sure you get the Parlour car bogies because the Kitchen card have powered bogies at the driving car end.

This is all getting a bit complicated/expensive now.

oh yes, forgot that bit.... I swapped the bogies on one end of the kitchen cars also so that they were correct!