Bachmann Blue Pullman

BobM

• RMweb Premium

if anyone wants a 4 car unit that comprises of two power cars and two Kitchen Cars on parlour undersides then do let me know :)

Could you respray one side of the coaches and one set of power cars to have two different liveried units?!

Just wait till ten years or so in the future and there will be lots of second hand power cars and coaches will be thin on the ground as per the Triang ones when I tried thirty years ago!

I gave up and gave them to one of my friends at work so he could run a half decent length train!

Mark Saunders

• 2 weeks later...

Could you respray one side of the coaches and one set of power cars to have two different liveried units?!

if you left the full yellow end as per the Bachman model I guess you could but my understanding is that this was very short lived and almost certainly not by a blue / grey set.  If you went for the smaller end then the cab roof and buffer beam would not work as would need to be either grey or nankin blue dependant on what version you were modelling.  nice idea though. 

if you left the full yellow end as per the Bachman model I guess you could but my understanding is that this was very short lived and almost certainly not by a blue / grey set.  

The blue/grey sets had full yellow ends for a time. I just don't think there are many photos. 

post-4474-0-26872800-1521902774_thumb.png

• Like 3

The blue/grey sets had full yellow ends for a time. I just don't think there are many photos. 

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-03-24 at 14.43.56.png

Indeed but with that version the front end the roof and buffer bean is either blue (nankin blue livery) or grey (blue and grey) so if you wanted a different livery on each side this would thwart the idea.  The Bachman model in Nakin Blue had a fuller yellow end covering roof and buffer beam which I know was carried by a Nankin Blue set for a while.  So in theory you could do it if you have a grey roof but only with the fuller yellow end.....

Sorry, yes. I see what you mean. 

I don't think I have ever seen a photo of one in that livery. I wonder why they would pick the most obscure version (in a photo sense) for a model?

I don't think I have ever seen a photo of one in that livery. I wonder why they would pick the most obscure version (in a photo sense) for a model?

I think there is one somewhere on this thread but apparently it was very short lived (and looked awful!).

The "custard dip" version of the livery was probably chosen because it was the only other livery that the 6-car sets wore before they received the MU modifications.

As far as this thread was able to determine, only one end was painted in this livery and the other end had a different variation with a minimal warning panel (which looked OK IMO).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

That code is out of date now, worked for a weekend back in March but invalid now, shame as I tried it on the s-stock they are selling!

EDIT: Nope I’m taking through my bum, it is valid on the blue Pullman but not the s-stock, dammit!

Edited by big jim

That code is out of date now, worked for a weekend back in March but invalid now, shame as I tried it on the s-stock they are selling!

EDIT: Nope I’m taking through my bum, it is valid on the blue Pullman but not the s-stock, dammit!

Can you try a different email address when filling in the form? That's what I did for the BP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Western Pullman Prototype was on display on the Bachmann Roadshow stand at the Bristol Model Exhibition, Thornbury over the weekend.

Managed to get a fit of footage of it, as well as some of the other models on display. 

Hope it's of interest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKM-LBeloeU

Very interesting, but will it happen?

If I had 1 of these units in 6 or 8 car formation I would be tempted to replace the isolated coupling in the middle of the set and replace it with a live coupling.

Then next stage would be to get the lights in the extra coaches working and the 2 motors connected via the new live coupling so that the entire unit is connected electrically from 1 end to the other.

I  know there will be a lot if objecting comments in reply to this but when I get a new model be it steam, diesel or elecy outline my 1st thought is right now how can I improve it.  This often begins with adding more pickups  ( self made ) wherever possible ( on the other cars if its a unit ) and wiring them through to the motor to give as much power collecting ability as possible.

I think your '1st thought' should be 'does it require improvement'?. This would require an investigation of the facilities provided by the manufacturer and an understanding of why those provisions were decided upon during the design phase.

If you had one of these units you would know that all the cars have pick-ups on all wheels, already connected throughout and with the motor (per half set) so given the length of the set and therefore the physical spread of electrical pick up, I'm not sure that your suggestions would provide any enhancement at all.

These sets are electrically split to allow two decoders each to control a separate motor. The isolated coupling is therefore an absolutely required feature of this model.

An obvious suggestion would be to remove the decoders and run on DC only. But that would not 'improve' the model at all, indeed, it would detract by removing existing features and denying the installation of other useful compnents. It is already capable of running successfully on DC if required, including the ability to keep the lights on, both marker and coach lighting whilst the model is stationary.

If good electrical continuity is your highest priority requirement, the decoders can easily and reliably support so called 'stay alive capacitors', a feature difficult to achieve with DC power. Lights can remain 'on' when power is cut, and the model will not be adversely affected by occassional dirty spots on the track.

From my own experience, and I have both the N gauge and 00 gauge versions, the model as supplied by Bachmann is one of the smoothest and most reliable of runners without the need for tinkering.

Best regards,

Paul

• 1 month later...

Just remembered. For those looking for photos that were unearthed of the various livery variations, many of them are in the original thread that started back in 2011.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47862-Bachmann-midland-pullman

Goodness me, that thread is 56 pages... 

I can't trawl through all that to find if this livery is included, 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tiptree-jon/6337677630/in/pool-bluepullman/

One variation that I have not seen before. 

• Like 1

Goodness me, that thread is 56 pages... 

I can't trawl through all that to find if this livery is included, 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tiptree-jon/6337677630/in/pool-bluepullman/

One variation that I have not seen before. 

Yes, that variation cropped up in the thread. The consensus was that it was applied to one of the MR sets for a short time after their transfer to the WR but before the MU modifications were made. Also it only seems to have been applied to one power car. The car at the other end had the "custard dip" yellow applied.

• RMweb Gold

Just came across an interesting photo on another thread apparently showing an 8-car WR Blue Pullman at Coventry en-route to Euston.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrcov218.htm

I wonder if the Birmingham service was diverted into Euston due to engineering works on the line to Paddington?

Coventry - West Hartlepool Rugby Union special 13th March 1965

Other possible contenders:

Walsall Footex from Norwich 12th Feb 1966

Bristol - Leeds 9th March 1968

The last ever railtour in 1973 went via Coventry, though that would be grey.

Unrelated but odd ball pullman railtours include:

railtour to Woking/Surbiton & South Wales with a Blue Pullman !!!

and Walsall to Bury Bolton Street

Must have been some good money around Walsall those days.

more details of oddball routes here..

http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/blue-pullman/wr-operations

Edited by adb968008

Six Bells Junction has it the other way around, Walsall to Bury football excursion. 

Edited to add that a bit of archival rummaging finds that 6BJ is correct. This was an FA Cup weekend (Walsall and Bury were in different divisions for a league match). 

On that day, Bury beat Walsall 2-0 at home. 

Edited by jonny777