Bachmann Blue Pullman

BobM

• RMweb Gold

Six Bells Junction has it the other way around, Walsall to Bury football excursion. 

Edited to add that a bit of archival rummaging finds that 6BJ is correct. This was an FA Cup weekend (Walsall and Bury were in different divisions for a league match). 

On that day, Bury beat Walsall 2-0 at home. 

Correct, caught me mid-edit (bad habit of mine).

however i doubt it was that trip (walsall isnt coventry), but Coventry - Hartlepool looks the best contender.

Looking at the people in the pictures, they all look to be there to see the Pullman, (Dads with Kid, and a couple that look like they have cameras too) so it must have been planned than an accidental diversion, all looks relaxed about the station, rather than ready to depart.

Its a bit fuzzy but zooming in makes the clock look around 8.30, I assume am.

incidentally Six Bells lists two Rugby trips to Hartlepool that day.. the Pullman and another trip hauled by 70020 Mercury. For some reason theres quite a lot more pictures of 70020 Mercury in the North east... I guess enthusiasts didn't have Pullman salaries in 1965.

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/60s/650313wh.html

Edited by adb968008

• 2 weeks later...

The Western Pullman Prototype was on display on the Bachmann Roadshow stand at the Bristol Model Exhibition, Thornbury over the weekend.

Managed to get a fit of footage of it, as well as some of the other models on display.

Hope it's of interest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKM-LBeloeU

Does anyone know what the set number of this will be?

• 3 months later...

Hi, does anyone know whether the Kevin Robertson ‘An Illustrated Journey’ book contained in the collectors edition contains entirely new material or does this just contain the same information as in the previous three books? Jim

• 1 year later...

I think I know the answer to my own question but (in hope more than anything) - does anyone know if there is a prospect of a reissue of the Blue Pullman by Bachmann/Farish? 

26 minutes ago, 9FEd said:

I think I know the answer to my own question but (in hope more than anything) - does anyone know if there is a prospect of a reissue of the Blue Pullman by Bachmann/Farish? 

30-425 set is still available is some shops - John Dutfield in Chelmsford, Essex has one in stock.

Bachmann stated elsewhere that they amended their 00 tooling to create the reverse livery versions (buffer beam exposed), this precluded them from producing any further Blue original versions.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Deltic said:

30-425 set is still available is some shops - John Dutfield in Chelmsford, Essex has one in stock.

Bachmann stated elsewhere that they amended their 00 tooling to create the reverse livery versions (buffer beam exposed), this precluded them from producing any further Blue original versions.

Many thanks - my scale is N but I would assume that the same applies and so there is no prospect of a repeat of original nanking Blue given the most recent April 2019 release of the Western Pullman livery variant. 

Does a blue with yellow ends Midland Pullman also have an exposed bufferbeam or is the only prototypical version with the amended buffebeam the  Western Pullman livery variant and so that is the only prospective reissue? 

Edited by 9FEd

On 26/10/2018 at 09:14, Jim76 said:

Hi, does anyone know whether the Kevin Robertson ‘An Illustrated Journey’ book contained in the collectors edition contains entirely new material or does this just contain the same information as in the previous three books? Jim

Don't know about that but there is a much-expanded edition of his book coming out later this year. It's been held up by the current situation though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 9FEd said:

2 hours ago, Deltic said:

2 hours ago, 9FEd said:

Many thanks - my scale is N but I would assume that the same applies and so there is no prospect of a repeat of original nanking Blue given the most recent April 2019 release of the Western Pullman livery variant. 

The Bachmann (00) one is still available from stock so there's no need for a reissue, a dealer can still order in 30-425. The Graham Farish one is now sold out from the warehouse but TMC at least still seem to have 3 in stock:

https://www.themodelcentre.com/catalog/product/view/id/89142/s/370-425-graham-farish-n-gauge-midland-pullman-train-pack/category/988/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

The Bachmann (00) one is still available from stock so there's no need for a reissue, a dealer can still order in 30-425. The Graham Farish one is now sold out from the warehouse but TMC at least still seem to have 3 in stock:

https://www.themodelcentre.com/catalog/product/view/id/89142/s/370-425-graham-farish-n-gauge-midland-pullman-train-pack/category/988/

Thanks - TMC used to have 4 but I just bought one! :yahoo_mini:  £320 seems good value for the 'collectors'  pack that gets me  the nanking blue with limited prospect of a rerun; I nearly spent £270 on a yellow end version from Hatton's a few years ago but decided against it. 

Edited by 9FEd
  • Like 1

On 23/05/2020 at 13:06, andyman7 said:

370-425 is still availabe in some shops - again John Dutfield has at least one left

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/05/2020 at 12:55, robertcwp said:

Don't know about that but there is a much-expanded edition of his book coming out later this year. It's been held up by the current situation though.

It's co-authored by Mike Smith, who has a very active Facebook group regarding the class.  I can confirm that the book contains a wealth of new information and images; my name is down for a copy!

• 3 years later...

Hi, reviving the thread from the archives but i have just bought a Midland Pullman that seems to have a strange problem. Its the nankin blue dcc fitted version. 

the unit is mint and has seen little to no use at all. 

the power car A, 60090. Interior lights work. As do cab & head and tail lights. The table lamps however are a different matter. When F1 is selected nothing happens, when F1 is off they come on, but very very dim. There seems to be not enough power to them as the table lights in Cars B and C do not work, even though the interior ones do. 

i have done a CV 8 to 8 programme but no effect.  Other than the table lamp problem it runs and works as it should. 

The other half of the unit works exactly as it should. 

any advice? Or do i need a new pcb, which i can obtain from Bachmann. 

thanks

dan

13 hours ago, Dan Griffin said:

Hi, reviving the thread from the archives but i have just bought a Midland Pullman that seems to have a strange problem. Its the nankin blue dcc fitted version. 

the power car A, 60090. Interior lights work. As do cab & head and tail lights. The table lamps however are a different matter. When F1 is selected nothing happens, when F1 is off they come on, but very very dim. There seems to be not enough power to them as the table lights in Cars B and C do not work, even though the interior ones do. 

i have done a CV 8 to 8 programme but no effect.  Other than the table lamp problem it runs and works as it should. 

thanks

dan

Is there a CV setting somewhere for light brightness?

I don't think this is the answer to your problem, but I mention it just in case. When i first put my set together (on DC) one set of coach lights was not working. Then I read somewhere in this thread that the coaches need to be assembled in the correct order. Problem solved. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 17/01/2024 at 20:11, Dan Griffin said:

thanks

dan

Personally, my table lamps are on a separate function from the general lighting. My F0 does the head lights, tail light and coach lighting and I have F9 for the table lamps on their own. I'm guessing you are on the Bachmann supplied DCC chips?

Neil.

On 21/01/2024 at 17:52, zoomer1979 said:

Personally, my table lamps are on a separate function from the general lighting. My F0 does the head lights, tail light and coach lighting and I have F9 for the table lamps on their own. I'm guessing you are on the Bachmann supplied DCC chips?

Neil.

Yes Bachmann chips as supplied in the unit. I have a feeling its the pcb. The coaches all work properly when connected to one power car, but the other 60090 seems faulty. I have had the decoders tested and its fine. I have ordered a pcb so will swap it over and see what happens. They are £18 from Bachmann so i’m not spending a fortune. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly Blue Pullman owners out there with the factory fitted chips might be able to answer me this…

The instructions say F1 for table lamps and F2 for cab lights. Coach lights are on all the time. Is there a way to turn coach lighting off? Or does that require an upgraded chip/s from those supplied by Bachmann?

Just picked up a set off eBay like new, but reading in the thread that the original cost was £280 means someone made a cool 50% markup (if that was what they paid!). In any case, I am very happy to have acquired it (thank you eBay credit!)

There was a  set for sale on eBay a few days ago at a reduced price of £375 (or best offer); it appeared literally minutes after I’d made my purchase, but has now sold so possibly somebody got themselves a real bargain - especially compared to some prices now being asked on eBay, or even for brand new sets.

I have to say that I thought my Bachmann 4CEPs were difficult to link together, until that is I put the Blue Pullman together to test it! Definitely a model which you want to assemble and then leave ready to run on your layout rather than packing it away between operating sessions. On testing, I thought it was a superbly smooth runner and the close coupling is superb. It appeared to tilt (like a Pendolino) into curves, but maybe that was just the severity of the curves themselves (Radius 3).

Steve S