Chafferton - BR(E) in 4mm

Joe61264

Hi all,

I have recently gained 'planning permission' for a layout utilising my bedroom in 4mm scale. 

After a lot of 'umm-ing' and 'aah-ing' I came up with a roundy-roundy that hugs the wall of the room with a station one side and fiddle yard the other (leaving me living space in the centre). The fiddle yard is still a work in progress on the design front however I have plenty of time before so much as touching a saw or hammer so shan't be rushing it! 

The main feature, as previously stated, is planned to be a through station, the trackplan for which can be seen below:

post-23713-0-42772400-1422704297_thumb.jpg

It features two 'main' roads with a bi-directional centre road to allow non-stopping trains to pass stoppers or freight workings. Whilst in such a small size this is a little unprototypical, it will allow me to let trains run around whilst shunting is going on and also adds signalling interest. The shortness of the station is a limiting factor for train lengths but perhaps this is not a bad thing given the high cost of (admittedly high quality) rolling stock and traction and the potential impact on a teen's wallet!

Being involved with 12" to 1' signalling, this is something I am certainly going to be adding at some point however that will take a lot of thought and, although I have already come up with some basic sketches of diagrams, is going to have to wait for some time.

Thoughts and comments are invited and I hope to post updates fairly regularly! 

Regards,

Joe

:)

the first set of points on the right do not give you any prototypical moves and really the other points allow so many options th\t i would not have them and save yourself the cash.  you could then space out the other track if you wished a little.

train lengths need not be limited as expresses could pass straight through a small station, think GC london extension small stations.

hope this helps

Richard

Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback, the GC(LE) idea does sound quite good!

I'll go away and have a rethink about what could be done and post a re-jigged idea on here in a few days time!

Regards,

Joe

:) 

• 3 weeks later...

So nearly 20 days later, things have changed entirely and started to progress! 
The GC (London Extension) comment was discussed with some railway friends and I was sent a track diagram based loosely on Loughborough. With a little tinkering it became this:
post-23713-0-07951500-1425230646_thumb.jpg
Since then the curved crossover between the Up and Down lines has been removed as we couldn't work out any moves that would require it in any form.
The third line that curves down to the right of the layout is a bi-directional mineral/branch route feeding into the yard and goods loop at the very top. The design follows the idea of 'hidden' platforms allowing far longer trains than would otherwise be possible (7 large vehicles able to fit into the shortest of the 4 through roads). 

Working signalling, as previously stated, will be installed and to that end I have used Modratec's excellent SigScribe4 to design the signalling layout and lever frame to fit. For those who know about signalling, the distants will be auto-worked however they are off-scene so don't really need to be installed regardless!

post-23713-0-30613800-1425231369_thumb.jpg
And finally, a picture of the boards waiting to be given their structures and errected
post-23713-0-03827700-1425232021_thumb.jpg

Fiddle Yards to design next :)

Regards,

Joe

Archived