land slip Banbury - leamington spa

Well unless he knows how to drive a fecking digger what was the point of his visit?

apparently we have questions to answer, none of which can be answered yet, a productive day all round it would appear

EDIT: aah forgot, theres an election coming

Don't knock it - Murphy got some free publicity!

The suggestions of creating a concrete tunnel must be causing some grief to NR engineers.  You only have to look at the continuing problems with Holme Tunnel (I think that's correct) between Todmorden and Burnley on the Copy Pit route.  That was built through unstable ground and has been rebuilt several times in my lifetime, each time with long closures.   I would doubt that they would serioulsy think of creating one in the unstable enviroment near Leamington. 

However if that is the preferred solution i will be happy to be proived wrong.  One big advantage nowadays is that soil mechanics has grown as a science recently and the mechanismans of movement are much better understood than they were say 50 years ago.   You only have to look at the solutions to the slip just north of Chesterfield that occurred recently.  The geologist there was a friend of my brother and she took some very brave decisions to keep traffic running as well as working out the eventual solution. 

Jamie

You have got two basic choices - cut the slope back to a stable angle, which is probably 1 in 4 given the that it has slipped and will have generated weak slip planes. Alternatively (as well?) put a deep bored pile wall at the base of the slip with (probably) ground anchors to hold the top back. Interesting HSE task to build a bored pile wall at the base of a slipped mass however.

• RMweb Premium

According to the local paper it will re-open by Easter (April 2) - http://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/news/local-news/railway-line-to-reopen-by-easter-1-6584504

Thanks for that link.  The update of 100,00 tons removed already is interesting.  They are certainly moving it at some rate from what looks like a difficult location. 

Jamie

Moving it where and how? Presuming not by train, must be a few lorries heading somewhere to fill a big hole?

The shots of the politico being interviewed had some Terex/Cat/Volvo articulated dumptrucks in the background; I would guess that the spoil is being taken somewhere close by that is accessible without using public roads. Perhaps the former Greaves Siding site I suggested earlier in the thread?

• RMweb Premium

The shots of the politico being interviewed had some Terex/Cat/Volvo articulated dumptrucks in the background; I would guess that the spoil is being taken somewhere close by that is accessible without using public roads. Perhaps the former Greaves Siding site I suggested earlier in the thread?

The earth removed from the Mickleton Tunnel Cutting was simply placed into long mounds of earth down the slope near to the B road that connects Mickleton to Chipping Campden.  No heavy trucks were used on public roads.

Because its simply inert soil and rock being removed it can be dumped anywhere - finding a suitable field in the vicinity of the railway and dumping it there is by far the most cost effective solution. Give it time to settle and assuming its dumped in the right way, the field can be returned to agriculture or grazing as required.

• RMweb Gold

The only way they could reach that without running on public roads is along the railway - as it's on the opposite side of the line and quite a way off.

The only way they could reach that without running on public roads is along the railway - as it's on the opposite side of the line and quite a way off.

I'd realised that, Mike; given that there's nothing else using the track at present, I wouldn't have thought it would have caused too many problems, provided there were no axle-detectors, AWS magnets or TPWS grids in the way.

According to the local paper it will re-open by Easter (April 2) - http://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/news/local-news/railway-line-to-reopen-by-easter-1-6584504

It was on the local BBC news last night as well. My reading of it was that it would be closed until at LEAST Easter (given the unstable nature of the ground they may well find more problems as they cart the spoil away)

I am surprised that there isn't a more vigorous campaign to reopen the Stratford long Marston section, as surely this would allow at least some services to still run, even though it would be a single track section.

I haven't heard anything on the local radio/tv etc from the team promoting the reopening, and thought this would have been an ideal opportunity for them to bombard the media with their campaign, or is it just not a suitable alternative?

• RMweb Premium

I am surprised that there isn't a more vigorous campaign to reopen the Stratford long Marston section, as surely this would allow at least some services to still run, even though it would be a single track section.

I haven't heard anything on the local radio/tv etc from the team promoting the reopening, and thought this would have been an ideal opportunity for them to bombard the media with their campaign, or is it just not a suitable alternative?

Part of the trackbed in Stratford is under tarmac as it forms part of the South Western by-pass.

• RMweb Premium

Part of the trackbed in Stratford is under tarmac as it forms part of the South Western by-pass.

Where the trackbed from the north comes to a sudden stop:

(about 2/5 mile from where the rails finish)

http://goo.gl/maps/THCkq

View in the opposite direction (South):

http://goo.gl/maps/vpFv0

Aerial view:

http://goo.gl/maps/TQ0eE

Not much room to squeeze a railway line in!

Keith

EDIT added detail

The Stratford Relief Road, as it is called (it is certainly not a bypass), has completely messed up any future use of the old GWR route south from Stratford to Honeybourne.  It is even worse for the old S&MJR route which has been obliterated.  Some people around here (Stratford) do talk about the possibility of the GWR line being re-opened to rail traffic, but first a proper bypass would be needed to replace the relief road.  Then there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth from Sustrans, who think they own the right of way for the Greenway footpath and cycle route.  In the past the GWSR has had to fight a legal battle with Sustrans to stop them mining the ballast and selling it, thus making any further development of the heritage line toward Stratford (which is a planned long term objective).  Also, the people in the housing developments around the Old Town station location will be up in arms.

So I don't think it will happen in my lifetime - maybe my grand children's?

Come on people. Please. The GWR south of Stratford station would definitely fit into the "Too difficult category"

As has been pointed out above, a cycle route occupies a good chunk of the formation through the town, Then you have a very busy roundabout which is part of the bypass already on the route.

The only realistic option the GWSR has of reaching S-u-A is the racecourse. I highly doubt NR and the government would spend what would be a ridiculous amount of money trying to reinstate Honeybourne - Stratford.

The landslip is unfortunate and by no means a buggeration as I travel to Leamington monday - friday but you get used to the awkwardness of things. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some south coast XC services go via either WCML or Worcester and OWW.

• RMweb Gold

I'd realised that, Mike; given that there's nothing else using the track at present, I wouldn't have thought it would have caused too many problems, provided there were no axle-detectors, AWS magnets or TPWS grids in the way.

Check, check and check, all 3 of those between the slip and greaves, and the tunnel and bridge at the old harbury and southam station site

I would assume it the spoil would be being moved from the top of the cutting first so given the size of the cutting it would be a pain to get from the top to the bottom with a loaded truck to use the track as a way out, you never know we may see spoil being moved by rail as the site becomes less assessable by road machines

The plan is to go under the road.

Arup have done a feasability report after receiving funds from Oxfordshire County Council, Worcestershire County Council, West Midlands transport executive Centro, train operator First Great Western and developer St Modwen, who are planning a "new town" housing scheme at Long Marston.

http://www.shakespeareline.com/arl.htm

But even this hasn't been updated since 2013

Also in a local paper

On Monday passengers took to social media calling for the re-opening of the ‘Stratford to Honeybourne missing link’.

Fraser Pithie said: “Many comments supported the re-instatement of a railway line which would need to be relaid a about five miles from Stratford station to Long Marston where a branch to the Cotswold line still exists.

“Those supporting the line’s reinstatement pointed out that if it were in place at least Cross Country services could have diverted at Tyseley and Hatton and connected to the recently re-doubled Cotswold line at Honeybourne with possibly some capacity for Chiltern services too.

“Stratford District Council is currently considering the line’s re-opening as part of its Core Planning Strategy.” 

Its just as usual, Nimbys who who live here that are hampering progress 

The plan is to go under the road.

Arup have done a feasability report after receiving funds from Oxfordshire County Council, Worcestershire County Council, West Midlands transport executive Centro, train operator First Great Western and developer St Modwen, who are planning a "new town" housing scheme at Long Marston.

http://www.shakespeareline.com/arl.htm

But even this hasn't been updated since 2013

Also in a local paper

On Monday passengers took to social media calling for the re-opening of the ‘Stratford to Honeybourne missing link’.

Fraser Pithie said: “Many comments supported the re-instatement of a railway line which would need to be relaid a about five miles from Stratford station to Long Marston where a branch to the Cotswold line still exists.

“Those supporting the line’s reinstatement pointed out that if it were in place at least Cross Country services could have diverted at Tyseley and Hatton and connected to the recently re-doubled Cotswold line at Honeybourne with possibly some capacity for Chiltern services too.

“Stratford District Council is currently considering the line’s re-opening as part of its Core Planning Strategy.” 

Its just as usual, Nimbys who who live here that are hampering progress

Strange that Warwickshire County Council is not on your list - they have already installed Stratford Parkway to the north of the town along with a park and ride. Also it is their subsidized bus services that operate across the county line into Gloucestershire and Worcestershire.

Building the lne under the new road will be yet another planning obstacle. I am sure there are Nimbys involved but Stratford's four railway lines were reduced to one many years ago and I doubt if anyone seriously thought they might be reinstated.

Archived