Night Ferry Fourgon Vans

Captain Cuttle

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

More about the NIght Ferry in general here

http://www.irps-wl.org.uk/nightferry.shtml

New book commemorating 75th anniversary of the NIght Ferry October 2011 available by scrolling down the home page here -

http://www.irps-wl.org.uk/homepage.shtml including some pictures of the vans

Memories of the last Night Ferry October 1980 here - http://nightferry.webs.com/

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Reviving this thread after several years…. I wonder if anyone could tell me where I could get decent plans for the Nord metal fourgon as used in the Night Ferry - that with or without the guard's compartment in the middle: it doesn't really matter - as I want to scratch build one in HO to go with the LS Models F-type CIWL sleeping cars.

With regard to kits, the version proposed by Marcmodels is out (as it is 4mm scale), as is the HO etched brass version by AMF87, since it is outrageously expensive.  I have the basic plan as can be found on the irps website, but it is not enough to build a model.

Au secours, mes amis !

Mike

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread after several years…. I wonder if anyone could tell me where I could get decent plans for the Nord metal fourgon as used in the Night Ferry - that with or without the guard's compartment in the middle: it doesn't really matter - as I want to scratch build one in HO to go with the LS Models F-type CIWL sleeping cars.

With regard to kits, the version proposed by Marcmodels is out (as it is 4mm scale), as is the HO etched brass version by AMF87, since it is outrageously expensive.  I have the basic plan as can be found on the irps website, but it is not enough to build a model.

Au secours, mes amis !

Mike

By coincidence, I've recently picked up and started reading my copy of "Night Ferry" (Behrend and Buchanan, 1985).  It includes plans of the SNCF (Nord) steel mail and baggage vans of series 29944-29949 and 29981-29999, and a photo of 29987 at Victoria which are attributed to G. Bratt/Railway Modeller, so it can be safely inferred that these plans and photo first appeared in that magazine.  (The former set of plans appears - without either identification or attribution - on the first site linked from Ferrymaster's post above).

Unfortunately the particular issue of Railway Modeller is not given in the book - obviously before 1985 and most likely before the advent of Continental Modeller - but thanks to some old place called RMweb, I can say with authority it was November 1975.  (There's also some stuff on where the vans ended up).

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31894&start=25

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic, but seems like an appropriate thread-what was the furthest north in the UK that a CIWL or fourgon car ever reached? Did any make it north of Londres?

cheers N

Many of them (CIWL coaches) started from north of London, having been built in Birmingham.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 1

I was flicking through some 1970's copies of Railway Modeller this morning and I think I have 4mm scale plans of the vans. I don't know much about overseas stuff so may not be looking at the right thing but they look the same as the pic posted by Gordonwis. I'll have a look again tonight and PDF scan them to email to you.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Vinedusk said:

My favourite mystery.

1280_4321-pierredominique.com_mth-20-600

These were used for Fleche DÓr services.  My understanding is that the containers came off the ferry, rather than the whole plat.

But.

Maybe you meant these?

1280_50211_vb108.jpg

ETAT version. 

At Pierre Dominique's

I think you are right about that. I have seen pictures of the containers being craned onto the ships. But I am not sure what the containers would have travelled on in the UK.

Of course, very different for the Night Ferry which used a 4-w fourgon which went onto the train ferry.

I can vaguely remember, from my childhood, arriving at Victoria, collecting luggage and going through a customs check (on Platform 8?). But how that luggage would have been handled at the ports, I am not sure, probably cargo nets.

I do recall a large luggage stack on the open rear deck of an Ostende-Dover ferry. It was a rough crossing and, about halfway across, the lashing failed and quite a few suitcases went overboard.

On 05/12/2019 at 21:39, AVS1998 said:

I'm rather late to the game here chaps, but I'd say Leeds, most likely, given the 1926-7 series of CIWL cars was built there, and there was also, as mentioned, a series built in Birmingham. All were shipped to the Continent via Harwich and Zeebrugge. Though if we're talking more recently, then York and Shildon, with the preserved 'F' type ferry car at the (National) Railway Museum would be your best bet. 

As for the Fourgon cars, I think they were either built at the CIWL works in Paris or Belgium, or possibly at one of the British coachbuilders' companies, as mentioned above. 

More recently a picture has turned up with one of the vans at Edinburgh Waverley I seem to remember marked with the condemned symbol. Can't remember exactly where that photo was published if it ever was. There was a van still in existence in 2001 in a siding at St Quentin which it was understood at the time would be the subject of a restoration project. See International Railway Preservation Society publication Ferry Boat Du Nuit page 108. 

The SECR built some shorter wagons for the Fleche DÓr containers on the British side - IIRC they carried 3 containers, which does beg the question what happened to the fourth one when it got to Dover?

I'm lucky enough to have one of these containers - alas not full size, but probably contemporary with them, built either as an apprentice piece, or as a demonstration of what was involved.

Jon

container.jpg

• Like 4