Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Gold

Hi Derek,

I've just spent some time reading through the thread.

Canal Road looks to have been a wonderful layout, but the replacement / modification looks great, and your trackwork is just amazing.

The track layout in the station is unmistakeably Midland in origin, with the single slip into the goods loop, it reminds me so much of Bakewell.

Thanks everyone for your nice comments over the last ten months or so.

Andy, it's because I do not feel confident enough to use programs like Templot, being a bit of a numpty where 'putters are concerned.  I do it the old fashioned way.

Derek

Still working away on the final board before the entry to the fiddle yard.  The Grassington branch coming off the double junction is designed to be a single line.  I was fast running out of my 'half track', so decided to lay the branch first, and the first few pics are the result.  I have to admit I am not entirely happy with the result and wonder if the turnout would have been better on a long curve as opposed to a 'Y'.  I need to think about it so will not be doing any alterations for a bit.  The first pics show the result of my labours.

I have now come to a dead stand while I prepare some more riveted sleepers.

The last two pics show a pile of sleepers, holes punched in to gauge, plus a pile of rivets, all from the EM Gauge Society.

The final shot shows my track jig, loaded up with some sleepers I had remaining from my last session.  Tedious, well yes, but it is surprising how quickly you can do a pile of sleepers once started.  Watch this space!

Derek

post-6110-0-06667200-1426945813.jpg

post-6110-0-91909800-1426945854_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-22715200-1426945893_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-41313100-1426946196_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-52654500-1426946247_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Saturday was a rest day, but yesterday I got busy with my steel block (used as an anvil) rivets, sleepers and small hammer and punch.  After a couple of hours, plus an hour this morning I had enough riveted sleepers for five lengths of rail (1/2 meter each).  A further couple of hours including an interval for a cuppa, I had five lengths of "half track".  I washed off the flux with water and here they are, once again on top of our deep freeze, makes a good place to photograph items.  When dry, in the morning, I will paint them and as soon as the paint has dried will start to lay the main lines from the junction to the start of the fiddle yard.  Then will come the job of wiring -- should be interesting!   Those modellers who make their own track, will find all this a bit elementary, so sorry for that.  It just might be new to some folk.

Derek  

post-6110-0-35251700-1427140313_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-96592300-1427140339_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

New "half track" painted and ready for action.  I am still undecided about the 'lay' of the branch line, so carrying on with the main.  Over the last couple of days had "other things" to do but still managed to lay two half metres of  track.  This does not go to the end of the board. In the time honoured fashion,  I try to lay a length of track across board joints then when fully fixed cut the rails. 

A few piccies of the final scenic board.  I now have to bridge the door.  In the original layout, this was a full width part of the fiddle yard, but when I started to find bending difficult, I cut it down to two narrow, light boards, easily removed after play has ceased.  I am hoping to re-use these two narrow boards for the new track layout.

The final shot is of the gap requiring to be bridged.  Also shows the clutter.

Derek

post-6110-0-77177300-1427491901_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-35418700-1427491942_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-68148900-1427491972_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-52446600-1427492036_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Fascinating thread Derek. The original layout was good but the change seems to have giben your enthusiasm a boost.  Takes me back I still have the gauges and some rivets and sleepers (plus a pile of Maygib EM wheels) I bought a test kit of the Len Newman stuff when it was marketed by Alan Gibson but never built it as I was seduced by other gauges. Would I go EM today? Not sure. People now do not understand how ropey a lot of 00 stuff was. If you had to change wheels EM made sense. Did you used to go to the Expo at the Great Western Hotel. Happy days for me. Done well like this EM does look and work well.

Don

Yes Don, I do remember the Expo at the Great Western Hotel.  We were visiting my in-laws in Stafford at the time, so my eldest son, then just a little lad, caught the train from there.  I think it was cup final day because the train was full of Liverpool supporters going to Wembley.  Noisey but entertaining journey.

I exhibited my branch line layout (the first Kirkby Malham) at Bletchley twice.  I found the EM gauge members, especially the committee members, a really nice bunch of fellas and had I lived somewhere less out of the way than I did (and do now) would have done more for the society.  I have found over the years EM gauge to be a really satisfying and practical gauge in which to work.  Anyway, I have far too much rolling stock etc to change gauge now.

Derek

• Like 1

Jason, does me good to know there is someone somewhere as untidy (my wife says --- scruffy) as me.          A friends garage is so tidy and clean I sometimes wonder if they ever go in there.

At the moment though, there are bits of Canal Road littering up the place and she came in today and said I should be ashamed of myself.  The trouble is I am not!!  Here is a pic taken a few weeks ago where the double junction is now.

Derek

post-6110-0-32707500-1427498507_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Having to take a break now, my daughter plus brood are staying over Easter, then my eldest son is coming to stay afterwards.  However, before the enforced stop, I managed to lay the main lines over the narrow, light section bridging the door.

The two main lines come together into a single track at the start of the fiddle yard.  This is  not likely to interfere with the operation since, at least most of the time, I will be the sole operator.  Also, it will be easier to construct the fiddle yard and make it more accessible to both up and down trains.

There will be another, parallel bridge spanning the gap carrying the branch to Grassington.  That is when I have decided on how the branch line will diverge from Hanlith Junction.

Few pics  to show the progress to date.

The one from the "bridge" back along the lines to the junction seems to show tight curvature, but in fact it varies between five and six foot radius.

I am having to use drawing pins o hold everything in place.  I tend to pin the fiddle yard tracks, but have run out of pins!!

The fiddle yard proper is still full of 'Canal Road',  It is the board  on which the Haw Bank tunnels were built and will take some clearing off.

Derek 

post-6110-0-61514600-1427914526_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-58633700-1427914567_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-91673300-1427914610_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Looking very good. Have you decided about the branch where you were wondering about the two tracks combining. The more I look through the thread the more I feel the midland would have used a longer turnout ti take out the reverse curve. It is not your workmanship. I just think the Midland was a bit fussy about track.

Don

Thanks for your comments fellas.

Don, do you mean the reverse curve on the Grassington branch?  If so, I agree and it was the bit I was not happy with.  Also the reason I have not progressed with it.  The curvature will be a little tight due to space restrictions but I need it to look more as if the Midland had had a hand in it.

I will probably take the 'Y' point out and replace it with a point on a curve, with the largest radius I can fit in.

If that does not look better (on paper) will continue the double track into the fiddle yard. 

Can't wait to get going again.

Incidentally, the tracks over the bridge and in the fiddle yard are to be SMP.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yes that was the bit I meant. One photo shows clearly a wiggle in it a the lines curves away from the main then curves back to the wye which curves the other way again.  As you say moving the wye point back possibly into the fiddle yard would do the trick bit  I reckon a gentle curve could replace the wiggle. It is the sort of thing that would always niggle.

Don

Managed to get an hour on the layout today, so lifted the "Y" point on the branch together with a bit of the track.  Yet to see how I can get a smooth transition from double to single track.  Typing this while the family watch Coronation Street.  TV is useful at times.

Derek

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It loks to me like a larger radius turnout would fit. If you incread the radius from the diverging turnout,  the track from the diamond would be a very gentle curve so you would end up with quite a large turnout perhaps a C10. A friend built a D14 in 0 gauge (it was correct for the prototype) which looked superb. I can do you some templates if it would help.

Don

Thanks very much for the suggestions and the offer of templates Don.  However, I have already drawn out a few to see how everything would fit. I am very limited in my options, the line is getting a bit close to the edge of the board, and  has to fit with a 6" wide board bridging the door then into the fiddle yard.  The best fit is a right hand turnout, with1:8 crossing angle with a nominal 5' radius. 

My wife and family have gone off to the local Moors Centre  so once again I can steal a little time to plan and come on RMW.  I have stuck the point sleepering on my (crude) drawing and will start building the point sometime soon - I hope.

I always draw out my pointwork unless I have to fit it in an existing track formation.  The very first was a double slip, crossing angle 1:7 when I was building a model of Grassington station.  It worked like a dream which boosted my confidence, even if I built  it using car feeler gauges instead of the ones designed for model trackwork.

The junction itself is based on Embsay Junction, on the Skipton to Ilkley line in North Yorkshire.  The single track Grassington branch comes off just east of Haw Bank tunnel.  The line actually turns north, away from the S-I line and the two junction lines came together in a 'curved point'.  Sadly the Ilkley line closed so the junction went.  A preserved railway (the Yorkshire Dales Railway) has taken over part of  the line, through Embsay station and when I was in the area some years ago it had reached Bolton Abbey.  I have lost touch over the last few years after my knee and heart problems arose.

Derek

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much for the suggestions and the offer of templates Don.  However, I have already drawn out a few to see how everything would fit. I am very limited in my options, the line is getting a bit close to the edge of the board, and  has to fit with a 6" wide board bridging the door then into the fiddle yard.  The best fit is a right hand turnout, with1:8 crossing angle with a nominal 5' radius. 

My wife and family have gone off to the local Moors Centre  so once again I can steal a little time to plan and come on RMW.  I have stuck the point sleepering on my (crude) drawing and will start building the point sometime soon - I hope.

I always draw out my pointwork unless I have to fit it in an existing track formation.  The very first was a double slip, crossing angle 1:7 when I was building a model of Grassington station.  It worked like a dream which boosted my confidence, even if I built  it using car feeler gauges instead of the ones designed for model trackwork.

The junction itself is based on Embsay Junction, on the Skipton to Ilkley line in North Yorkshire.  The single track Grassington branch comes off just east of Haw Bank tunnel.  The line actually turns north, away from the S-I line and the two junction lines came together in a 'curved point'.  Sadly the Ilkley line closed so the junction went.  A preserved railway (the Yorkshire Dales Railway) has taken over part of  the line, through Embsay station and when I was in the area some years ago it had reached Bolton Abbey.  I have lost touch over the last few years after my knee and heart problems arose.

Derek

I am hoping we will go up to Bolton Abbey this year in the motorhome haven't been to that area before.

I work out turnouts using a table of leads and crossing angles. You and I of course could be building them as straight switches although I think the Midland had changed to sprung switches around the turn of the century.

Don

Don, many thanks for that bit of info.  I have been modelling the Midland for donkey's years and I still find snippets of new information.  God bless RMW!.

Here are a couple of shots of Bolton Abbey taken a long time ago.  Strangely I didn't date  the photos but it was before my knees gave up in 2007, and before I started to use a digital camera, so must have been in the 1990's.  The Yorkshire Dales Railway had reached Bolton Abbey and restored/rebuilt (?) the station, which was still not finished at the time.

Coincidentally, the rails used to extend to BA from Embsay were taken from the Kirkstall Power station sidings in Leeds, the place where I started in the world of work, and which is now long gone.

Derek

post-6110-0-13127000-1428233466_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-13323800-1428233507_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

One lot of family gone, next arrive in six days time.  So, a chance to do some more track laying.

I was never very happy at the double track merging to a single line on the Grassinton branch.  I had in mind the actual junction to the branch -- Embsay Junction -- where the Skipton to Ilkley line passes through Haw Bank tunnel, immediately there is a trailing crossover, then the double junction onto the  branch line itself.  The main line carries on firstly a slight right hand curve then straight to Embsay station.

The Grassington branch then curves away to the left, the lines coming together in a curving point.  I am writing this in the present tense, but of course it has all changed now.  The Ilkley line was closed a some of the track lifted.  Later a preservation society took over Embsay station and a small length of track.  However, as I have described, the last time I was in the area, some years ago, they had extended to Bolton Abbey.

Grassington station lasted until some time in the 60's but the site is now a housing estate.  The branch does still exist although in a truncated form, to serve a large limestone quarry.

So, back to my version of history.  The branch never looked right, so I lifted the "Y" point and some of the track.  Having built a new point -- done while the my daughter and spouse took the children out -- of larger radius, crossing angle 1:8 and nominal radius 5', which is the largest turnout I can fit in the space I have available on  the  board.

This is the first pic.

I left some rail flapping about to fit in the existing trackwork.

After an hour or two we have the result in piccies 2 and 3.

Still not 100% happy with it but to do what I would like to do, would mean removing bricks from the wall and continuing the line into the conservatory.  This is a distinct no-no.  Olga would not be happy.

So, the line will have to curve back to the right on the bridge section passed the door and on to the fiddle yard.

Derek

post-6110-0-83362300-1428580470_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-10582400-1428580506_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-37150400-1428580536_thumb.jpg

• Like 15