Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

Everything is progressing, almost to order, except I get out of breath very quickly. I have arranged that a friend will come and lift out the board carrying the river and set it up on my bench for me to work on when I feel able. I feel the need of a bit of focus, or put it another way, I am missing my railway modelling. With time to think while in hospital, I have got one or two ideas which may or may not work, but I am anxious to try. I am still following all your doings on RMW and I want to be part of the action.

Derek

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hiya Derek old chap.

I'm glad you made it though the op and are recovering well, albeit slowly. These things take time mate.

The out of breath thing sucks, as I know all too well. I guess you're now on the same sort of meds as I am and they don't help with fatigue as it's a side effect of one of the meds I'm on. It will take a bit longer to do things now and recovery time between bursts of activity will be a bit longer too I'm afraid. Just take it easy and accept your limits mate. If you can let others do the heavy lifting for a while and don't think for one moment that you have anything to prove because you don't. 

Anyway it's good to see you posting again all the best.

Regards Lez.Z.   ;)

Thanks very much Lez.Z, you have really cheered me up. When I went in, on 26 June, I thought I would be having the one op. And be out in seven or eight days. As it turned out, things were a bit more complicated and didn't go according to plan. I had to have three operations within about eight days, two of them on the same day, and my hospital stay was over five weeks. I felt pretty fed up, and since I had to sit in a chair or lie in bed for a long time, full of tubes draining all the rubbish away, I lost a fair bit of muscle density in my legs which has made walking difficult.

I was on all sorts of medication, and it turned out that one pill made me feel exhausted with even the most easy movement. I am glad to say that one has been stopped, so been feeling much better over the last week. I have also been given clearance to be able to drive the car again, so things are beginning to look up.

Derek

• RMweb Gold

Hiya mate.

Yeh it sounds rough last time I had two in 3 days and I have to say the second one was no picnic. The week after I got discharged, almost to the hour, I kid you not all my skin fell off. Well the top layer I mean, not actually all of it you understand! It was nasty I woke up in a pile of skin flakes. It happened after my first MI but it flaked off over a few days it didn't come off in one night like the second time. I had petike hemorrhaging on my hands and feet as well the first time. It's your body adjusting to the medication I guess, well I don't guess I know. I'm a pharmacy tech as it happens so I know exactly the pros and cons of all the meds I dispense as a matter of course as even doctors make mistakes and it's part of my roll to catch anything out of the ordinary and confirm with the Dr's if it's out of recommended dose or if it's conflicting with another drug. Knowing don't help you one bit when it's your skin lying in the bed or your feet and hands with little red spots all over them though   :O : :help::LOL   

Regards Lez.Z.   ;)     

I love the slim boiler Johnson btw always one of my favs  ;)   

Edited by lezz01

• RMweb Premium

All those nice red engines..looks really good Derek.

I hope you continue to improve and hope to see you at Easter.

Driving ng the car...does that mean you can see Me Gallon and get him to O repaint the luminous green enginecvhe has built?

Steady away!

Baz

• Like 1

Thanks for all your good wishes fellas. I am beginning to feel my old self at last, and hope all is finished between the hospital and me now. Just have to see the consultant cardiologist on 3 November. Here's hoping for a good result.

Hope to start on the last scenic section soon.

Derek

• Like 2

you will probably have noticed in piccies of my little line, I go down the 'impressionist' route, especially on the scenic side.  My stone walls, if built like that in reality would fall down at the first puff of wind, but in model form, I think they don't look too bad.  Anyway, I don't think I have the time left for any other way.

Derek

• Like 4

you will probably have noticed in piccies of my little line, I go down the 'impressionist' route, especially on the scenic side.  My stone walls, if built like that in reality would fall down at the first puff of wind, but in model form, I think they don't look too bad.  Anyway, I don't think I have the time left for any other way.

Derek

Works for me.

It's been said by enough others in the past, but looking right is more important than technical fidelity when recreating any scene in model form.

If it didn't look right, you would notice it because it would jar. 

Glad to see you back!

• Like 1

Hi Derek,

Glad to see you are back at it !

You mentioned your earlier layouts. Does this bring back a few memories ?

post-1161-0-77006500-1508239263_thumb.jpg

expoEM North late 80's - early  90's ?

• Like 7

That, Derek, was Kirkby Malham Mark 1 . I built it in the early 1980's and hawked it round a fair few shows in the 80's and 90's. It, eventually, went to a good home, although the stock remained with me and can be seen on Mark 2

Thank you for reminding me of the good old days.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes, that poor old nag struggled on for years, pulling heavy carts on three legs. Long gone to the knackers yard, probably made into glue.

Derek

Any of it used in building your baseboards?