Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear about Olga, and best wishes to you both.

we thought that Christmas would be cancelled in our house, that is until the family took a hand.

my eldest son came on Christmas Eve with a partially cooked meal, turkey et el, and cooked a delicious dinner for us on Christmas. Day.  He left on Boxing Day and our daughter arrived.  They actually passed each other on Pickering roundabout.

she did a full supermarket shop for us as well as producing some super meals, and then went home on the Sunday. It was all such a wonderful surprise, almost a lovely present in itself, especially when you realise he lives 220 miles away and she 270 , and they both have families of their own.

Our youngest son had really gone to town on presents too, so it actually turned out to be a Christmas to remember.

That’s when you know what a great job you did on raising your children.

PS Nice loco.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all your good wishes fellas.  They were very much appreciated.

As well as having a lovely close family, we are fortunate to have some wonderful neighbours and friends.  We could never repay the many kindnesses we have been shown while Olga has been receiving treatment.

Derek

• Friendly/supportive 13

• 2 weeks later...

Derek, just catching up. I'm sorry to hear your recent problems; that the knee is still troubling so much despite the Op in the autumn, and that your wife was so ill.  Heartwarming that your kids rallied round.  Anyway, it's good to see you back, visits to CA having alerted me to that!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Had a nice natter on the phone with Derek last night, They're all safe and doing OK, apart from the old knees! he's doing plenty of reading and I did offer some books with bright green covers to read but he declined, can't imagine why?

That's great to hear!* Nice photo too. 

*Not just that Derek is of sound mind and spurning your mischievous attempt at suborning him with green propaganda.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear that Olga is on the mend, and great to hear from you, too.

I hope you are able to receive visitors again soon, just to have someone new to talk to.

All the very best to you both,

Al.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Derek,

We shouldn't underestimate the mental health implications of the shielding that some of us are being asked to do. I'm in a similar situation, and while I don't for one minute object to having to do it for my wife's sake, I'm well aware of the potential damage it can do to our states of mind, especially as we haven't seen children and grandchildren since early February.

Snatches of modelling activity are keeping me going, so it's great to hear a positive outcome to your difficult period. I hope you can find a few moments each day to rekindle your interest. Well done!

Geraint

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Very good news Derek especially Olga being on the mend.

I was told I had to shield but that was just nonsense we were doing more work in a lot less hours, neither of us could go and hide from it. Of course we both caught the plague. I'm in a pharmacy and she's in the medical practice across the road we were always going to get it. Fortunately we both had a very mild strain and barely noticed we had it. Now we have a certain amount of immunity although no one can say for how long.  

Keep your chin up mate things are starting to get better and it won't be long until we can all socialize a bit more and it will be ok to have family visits soon.

Regards Lez.           

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Derek hope you are both well.. 

How about a track cleaning "sled"... is a piece of hardboard attached to a couple of flat headed nails locate in a suitable vehicle? Then you don't worry about trying to clean itall.

baz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the track cleaning. I friend of mine had solved the access by having the stairlift extended up to the railway room, but the track cleaning was a real issue. Regular running seems to help so try to run something as often as you can note any tricky bits and press gang visitors to give them a wipe over.  Baz's suggestion of the hardboard rough side down is what Ken Payne used. I tend to use IPA. I try to avoid using the track rubbers anything abrasive tends to leave scratches in the rail surface which catch the dirt.  There is no need for Shiny rails as the NS oxide is conductive.

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Derek welcome back mate.

Have you thought about a Dapol track cleaner? All you would need to do is change the wheels. I use one myself and it's very effective. Some people use two with the one in front hoovering and the second one cleaning/polishing. Then you can drive the thing around in front of your favorite loco and it's no longer a chore.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1