Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

Some people use two with the one in front hoovering and the second one cleaning/polishing. Then you can drive the thing around in front of your favorite loco

The favourite loco presumably being in this case, an EE class 50?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Derek welcome back mate.

Have you thought about a Dapol track cleaner? All you would need to do is change the wheels. I use one myself and it's very effective. Some people use two with the one in front hoovering and the second one cleaning/polishing. Then you can drive the thing around in front of your favorite loco and it's no longer a chore.

Regards Lez. 

not cheap and .. are they easy to re-guage? The hardboard is OK..and .. for Yorkshire folk.. much cheaper!!:)

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Hi Derek welcome back mate.

Have you thought about a Dapol track cleaner? All you would need to do is change the wheels. I use one myself and it's very effective. Some people use two with the one in front hoovering and the second one cleaning/polishing. Then you can drive the thing around in front of your favorite loco and it's no longer a chore.

Regards Lez. 

I tried one of these on my N gauge layout with very limited success as it wouldn’t go through tunnels or along platforms as it’s so out of gauge. I use Ten Commandments track wagons which rub pads across the rail heads although not cheap but at least they can go everywhere. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lovely stuff Derek. Nearly all my favorite Kirtleys. The only ones missing are the 156 and a DF goods.

It's good to see you back and active mate. I trust Olga and yourself are in better health.

Regards Lez.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2020 at 15:35, Mrkirtley800 said:

Finally the stopping passenger departs for Bradford (Market Street)  behind Kirtley 2-4-0.

LA8C236B3-6E8C-4F7E-B5B1-47889EAE2239.jpeg.508128c667920aa3e13cc4617c4d9edd.jpeg

Derek

I lived in Bradford for four years and I wish I’d done more exploring of the old railway routes.  When did Bradford Market St become Forster Square?  I’ve found a RCH map online that shows a proposed extension from Market Square south across town to Low Moor.  Presumably this would have been mainly in a tunnel?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Penrhos1920 said:

When did Bradford Market St become Forster Square?

A point of contention according to Wiki.  One suggestion is 1924 another is "before 1901".  Forster Square itself was laid out from late Victorian times and completed in 1906.

The cross-town line had a lot of local support but was reckoned too expensive.  

Alan

• Informative/Useful 1

I understand that Forster Square station was being built in 1897.  It was just “round the corner”  from the Market Street station, and, as far as I know wasn’t finished until some time in the first decade of the twentieth century.

I don’t have any reference material so I could not guarantee the accuracy.

Perhaps we could find a real expert on the railways of Bradford to keep us right.

Thankyou for your nice comments fellas.  The layout has come back to life in a fairly low key way.  My operating sessions are dependent on how long  my arthritic knees allow me to stand, or move to  set the points and signals.

Frustrating or what!!

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Hello Derek,

Have you considered getting one of those spinning computer chairs. You can adjust the height and they are really mobile when you want to move about. They take all the weight off your joints and are quite manoeuvrable once you get the hang of it. They come up on freegle quite frequently so you could get one at the cost of a car trip at your local group.

trustytrev.:)

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

I bought a chair that rises and lowers by lever and also has a seat that pivots.  I managed to make an idiot of myself two years ago when I sat on this chair as the seat moved.  I ended up falling on to the concrete floor and lacerated my arm, even though the floor was carpeted.  Result was a week in  the James Cook hospital.

Fortunately had a good lady surgeon who did a super job on the damage. So I dare not mention about getting another chair to Olga.

The layout is about four feet from the floor, so the chair has to be able to rise enough for me to see what I am doing when working or operating.

Derek

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

My layout is higher than that Derek. I have a big computer chair and work bench underneath it. I dread the time that I'm unable to stand unaided. I had to go that high because the layout comes out of the room through a hole in the wall and curves over the stairwell and back in through the door. If it was lower it would restrict movement into the master bedroom and be unworkable.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...