Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Premium

Hope that both you and Olga are safe, warm and well. If the vaccines get down to my tier in time I may be able to visit the area at Easter 2021.

Baz

Ps the flatiron always looks very workmanlike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have a problem, well one particular problem.

i normally use my iPad to look at RMW, but for putting anything on my thread,   I use my lap top.   I haven’t done much over the last year, but now I have got my mojo back, am raring to go.

On trying to use the laptop I find that it won’t let me put any text on the thread, and since about last April, no photos from any of the threads I read have appeared.  Text is there but where a pic should be is a blank gap, even on my thread.   The iPad is perfect which is why I have seen all the pics.

Does anyone have any ideas

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

i normally use my iPad to look at RMW, but for putting anything on my thread,   I use my lap top.   I haven’t done much over the last year, but now I have got my mojo back, am raring to go.

On trying to use the laptop I find that it won’t let me put any text on the thread, and since about last April, no photos from any of the threads I read have appeared.  Text is there but where a pic should be is a blank gap, even on my thread.   The iPad is perfect which is why I have see all the pics.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Gold

Derek 

I found myself not adding the  photos when we first had the new software.   I then noticed if I clicked on the uploaded image there was a small plus sign bottom left on the image and I needed to click that for it to be placed where the cursor was. So I have to place the cursor where I want it before clicking the plus sign.  Perhaps this is your problem.

Don

Having just done that to check what I was typing  I now find it doesn't want me to remove the image. Clicking on it and deleting it did not remove it.  So apologies for the gratuitous image of my thumb.

CANCAB.JPG

Edited by Donw
removing image
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

On trying to use the laptop I find that it won’t let me put any text on the thread, and since about last April, no photos from any of the threads I read have appeared.  Text is there but where a pic should be is a blank gap, even on my thread.   The iPad is perfect which is why I have seen all the pics.

Derek

Hi Derek,

The forum software was updated a while ago, and if you haven't used your laptop since then to view RMWeb, it may just need you to log out of the forum on the laptop, clear your cookies and log back in again.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn’t even get the picture of your thumb Don.  Got it on the iPad, but only got the text on the laptop.

Al, I logged out, but it made no difference when I logged back in again.

Do cookies clear automatically when logging out?

Thank you both for the help.

It must be something quite simple, but my knowledge of computers is rather lacking.

Derek

• RMweb Gold

No Derek they don't! You have to clear them in your browser history. If you don't know how, I or others can talk you through it but we need to know what browser you are using.

Regards Lez.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Chris,  you need to remove the check rail on the stock rail and then straighten out the two sharp little kinks by unsoldering that length of stock rail plus a bit more at the end of each kink, resolder but making sure you have a smooth curve.  Don’t forget to check everything with the triangular track gauge as you proceed.

2632. This is my son’s 0 gauge layout, unfortunately 170 miles from me.

I built four locos 2 * 1F tanks, 1 * 2F tender loco and  a NER 0-4-0T (Y8  ??)

The 1Fs were from a Mercian Models kit.

The kit provides parts for open and closed cab locos, so by a dint of scratchbuilding I used up all the etched parts and  cut out frames, footplate and boiler from nickel sheet.

The carriages are Slaters kits which Chris built, painted and lined.  Super job, especially as it was his first attempt.

Regularity,  there’s no answer to that.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

2632. This is my son’s 0 gauge layout, unfortunately 170 miles from me.

I built four locos 2 * 1F tanks, 1 * 2F tender loco and  a NER 0-4-0T (Y8  ??)

The 1Fs were from a Mercian Models kit.

The kit provides parts for open and closed cab locos, so by a dint of scratchbuilding I used up all the etched parts and  cut out frames, footplate and boiler from nickel sheet.

The carriages are Slaters kits which Chris built, painted and lined.  Super job, especially as it was his first attempt.

What I meant was, @v8cpt should be encouraged to show more of this - perhaps he could start his own topic?

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• 3 weeks later...

@Mrkirtley800

Hello Derek, 

A question for your sir,

What outside cranks do you use on your Kirtley Goods*? I ask as after several years of searching I've finally taken the plunge on an unbuilt kit for one, and I've had bad experiences with the Keyser cranks in the past. Long story short they would shear off, probably due to a lumpy running chassis. I would use the markits cranks, but I prefer Gibson wheels. Of course I could use the Gibson cranks and extended axles, but being in Oklahoma which at the best of times is 10 days away from Alan Gibson's garden of plenty, I didn't think it wise.

*Yours that is certainly a standard to aspire to.

Douglas

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Douglas,

Sorry, bad news I am afraid.    I used Gibson wheels, extended axles and cranks.

However, I don’t  use nuts on the cranks.  Instead, to keep the coupling rods in place, I use a thin sliver of insulation from insulated wire.  In this case, the insulation was from wire used in the house circuit.  

A little dab of glue will fix it in place.

I got my Kirtley kit in 1966 - birthday present from my wife.  I threw away the K’s cranks and fretted some from 1mm brass sheet.  I drilled the axle hole 1.4mm and tapped it 10BA so that it would screw on a Romford extended axle.  When in the correct position, fix it with a bit of solder and cut off the excess axle.  This makes for very easy adjustment of the cranks when doing the final setting up.

This lasted for about 25 years until I replaced the K’s motor with Mashima and the Romford wheels and axles with Gibson.  

Our Kirtley goods is known as ‘Old Faithful’.  It has (up to now) never let me down, and Larry Goddard’s painting and lining are still good after all these years.

Sorry I could not be more helpful to you.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/03/2016 at 22:54, Mrkirtley800 said:

Oi!! gerroff 'me' cake and flapjack.

I think we should get back to matters railway, and leave cake for the needy (that's me if your asking).

Just a few more piccies of the workings into Kirkby Malham, with the class M bringing in empty cattle wagons from Skipton, ready for the dale head market the next day.  One of the shots is of it being turned.

Meanwhile, the last passenger train of the day, the 7.15pm ex Bradford (Market Street) behind one of Mr Deeley's new 0-6-4 tank engines.

I am waiting for some electro magnets to be delivered, then work will start on installing them plus the signal levers.

This will entail having to take the layout apart once more, so that I can work on each board balance on my bench.   There are quite a number of signals to go on the line, so it might take me some time.

In the meantime, the train services will be suspended but a horse bus will operate between Kirkby Malham station and Skipton High Street.

Derek

post-6110-0-78878800-1459461133_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-66072200-1459461165_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-08830000-1459461198_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-10109500-1459461227_thumb.jpg

Dad,

3rd picture down..... are these 43' Brake thirds & All Thirds?

Just about to start lining mine this week. i have been through 20 odd pages of your posts so far (will keep looking) and trying to get a close up of yours (presume Larry painted & lined those?)

• Like 2

S

5 hours ago, v8cpt said:

Dad,

3rd picture down..... are these 43' Brake thirds & All Thirds?

Just about to start lining mine this week. i have been through 20 odd pages of your posts so far (will keep looking) and trying to get a close up of yours (presume Larry painted & lined those?)

No they are 48’ low roofed.  In fact they are Ratio kits.  But I will send you a full side on piccie to show Larry’s lining.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
Just now, Regularity said:

All I can see is a portrait-oriented rectangle in blue.

I suspect it's been censored by the management - they want us to but the mag rather than look at somebody else's phot of it! There was a photo of Kirkby Malham, which had won or at least been placed in a category in the magazine's awards, although I can't see it in the listing here:

• Like 1

I put a few pics in the ‘Get Britain Modelling’ section of RMW.  I had no idea  it was some sort of a competition, until I received an email from BRM.

I must admit, the picture chosen is not my favourite

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5