Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Premium

Derek 

the layout is looking really good. Nice to see pre-grouping trains (although Nicktoix gets his LNWR stock out on occasion)

Long time since you and Olga were at Leeds show.. Happy Days!

Keep up the good work!

baz

The boards are much more manageable now Skipepsi, and I can work on them sitting down with the board being worked on balanced on a small work bench I made for my youngest son, many, many years ago.  I never throw anything away, a source of complaint from my wife.  The only boards I need help with are the two main station boards.  They are 4'9" long by 2' wide and heavy with it.  The main part of the layout sits on two 'stringers' of 2" by 1" running the length of the wall, and these are fixed to gallows brackets screwed to the wall, so it is just a matter of lifting the boards up to the stringers and sliding into place.

Thanks Barry, yes it was a long time ago that Olga and I exhibited in the Leeds show.  My eldest son was at Manchester University at the time and came over to help operate the layout.  You might say "the good old days".  Couple of pics of the layout we brought to you.

Derek

post-6110-0-45677100-1424436125_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-94010600-1424436155_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

My cranky knees have been crankier than ever of late, so progress has been a bit slow.  When they are as painful as they are at the present, I have to work sitting down.  Fortunately the final scenic board -- board 10, is not heavy so I was able to take it down and balance it on my son's little bench.  I made this for him when he was ten years old (30 years ago) and something else I kept despite Olga wanting it out.

So, the board, balanced on the bench, me sitting down, cup of filter coffee at hand, so let battle commence.

The idea is that board 10 will have a junction - Hanlith Junction.  The main lines will run on to Skipton, via Airton, Winterburn and Rylstone South Junction.

The diverging lines will come together into single track to Crook Rise Junction then onto Grassington, the whole capoodle forming a triangle where locomotives too big for the turntable can be turned, locomotives such as my Johnson Compound and 700 class 4-4-0, both sporting the Johnson bogie water cart tenders.

That meant I had to build a double junction on a large reverse curve.  I began to wish I had never started.

The double junction was to  be made using copper clad sleepers rather than my normal EM Gauge Society (plywood) sleeper strip.  O.K. call me a coward.

Pic 1 is in the early stages with the first turnout partially done.  The idea was to build in situ, hence the drawing pins holding the thing in place.

(2) is another shot of the first turnout, with the lay of the track roughed out.

(3) is the second turnout under weigh.

(4) gives some indication of the shape the junction has to conform to

(5) the crossing is under construction

(6)after a lot of head scratching and soldering/unsoldering the completed unit is shown here -- on top of the freezer.

(7)finally being tested with two six wheeled carriages - it works!!

On looking at he curves through the crossing, I am not too sure about it.  I had to squeeze it in ad it meant curvature quite a bit less than my normal four or five feet  (nominal) radius.

I need to think about it!

Derek

post-6110-0-44806100-1426007807_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-51426000-1426008026_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-73461100-1426008070_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-51741800-1426008455_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-25052200-1426008494_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-74844000-1426008657_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-96953800-1426008744_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Derek, Good afternoon,

Just re-discovered your thread and so apologies for the rash of ratings to you and others! What superb workmanship - it truly is an inspiration and if the end result is even remotely like 'Canal Road', it will be very special! Sorry to hear that your knees are giving you such trouble, it is probably the most awkward joint to have problems with as it even affects your sleep - I still keep a 2lb bag of peas in the freezer to apply during 'flare-ups'!

I have obviously now worked out how to use the 'content I follow' system, so look forward to the next update!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Many thank to everyone for the nice comments, it does give me a lot of encouragement, although my wife tells our friends not to encourage me, can't think what she means!

I have kept looking at the double junction over the last few days and decided it needs modifying to give a larger radius through the crossing.  My six wheeled stock will run through OK but it could look better.

I am raring to get going, but I had a patient group meeting this morning.  I am chairman of the Patient Participation Group attached to our local GP surgery, and really have to attend, and tonight I am calling at the local folk dance group, so, today has been a modelling-less day.  Tomorrow I will get busy and will post some more pics when I can.  I am hoping to have everything working by mid May, being just a year since Canal Road closed to all traffic.

Derek

Those modellers not interested in building track and pointwork can look away now.  Todays edition deals only with the re-building of my double iunction. 

As I was saying, I was not happy with the double junction.  The six wheeled carriages went through OK, but the six wheeled motor car van was not too suited and derailed.  The problem arose due to the curve tightening up through the crossing, starting off as a nominal 4' radius, it reduced quite visibly.  How I managed that - well I have no idea.  I took it to the club on Wednesday evening and Paul (Worsdell forever) spotted it straight away.

So, today - or rather this afternoon - I got busy and dismantled the crossing part of the junction trackwork and after three hours of concentrated effort, we now have a double junction with the branch line at a constant 4' radius right through the formation.  Must say it looks much better, although it is not too obvious in the piccies.

Over the weekend I will fit the hinged switches (point blades) paint it and when dry lay it in place on the layout.

The pics  show

(1) & (2) the original double junction, which I have already posted on this thread.

(3) & (4) are of the rebuilt formation. I hope you can tell the difference.

finally (5) is from the other end.

I should add, the bits of scrap nickel silver soldered across the rails are to keep it together and not allow it to flap around.

Derek

post-6110-0-21816500-1426288079_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-08102300-1426288105_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-35428900-1426288261_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-88550500-1426288300_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-11118800-1426288366_thumb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Sorry Dr G-F don't have any other Highland locos.  I went through a phase when I got my 'kicks' building locos.  My wife wanted an engine of her very own, and since we had spent many family holidays camping in the north of Scotland, around Dornoch, she was very interested in the Highland Railway.

We  were regular visitors to the Newcastle show and on one occasion many years ago, we saw this Jones Goods on the club second hand stall partially built, for, I think, £20.  I built it up, fitted it with scratch built  main frames and wheels to EM gauge.  I did intend to finish it in either plain black or plain green, but oh no!!  She insisted it be yellow (or should that be improved engine green).  According to an article by J.A.N. Maskelyne in the old Model Railway News, these locos sported this livery for the first 6 - 12 months of their lives back in the 1890's, then were repainted in, I think, unlined green. 

Derek

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Those modellers not interested in building track and pointwork can look away now.  Todays edition deals only with the re-building of my double iunction. 

As I was saying, I was not happy with the double junction.  The six wheeled carriages went through OK, but the six wheeled motor car van was not too suited and derailed.  The problem arose due to the curve tightening up through the crossing, starting off as a nominal 4' radius, it reduced quite visibly.  How I managed that - well I have no idea.  I took it to the club on Wednesday evening and Paul (Worsdell forever) spotted it straight away.

So, today - or rather this afternoon - I got busy and dismantled the crossing part of the junction trackwork and after three hours of concentrated effort, we now have a double junction with the branch line at a constant 4' radius right through the formation.  Must say it looks much better, although it is not too obvious in the piccies.

Over the weekend I will fit the hinged switches (point blades) paint it and when dry lay it in place on the layout.

The pics  show

(1) & (2) the original double junction, which I have already posted on this thread.

(3) & (4) are of the rebuilt formation. I hope you can tell the difference.

finally (5) is from the other end.

I should add, the bits of scrap nickel silver soldered across the rails are to keep it together and not allow it to flap around.

Derek

That looks a lot better, you can really tell the difference between the two photos.

• Like 2

Derek,

I couldn't see much wrong with version one, that is until I saw the second one - that curve is a definite improvement.i truly wish I had the skill. Looking forward to the next set of images for real inspiration!

Thank you and kind regards,

Jock.

Barry, the crossing on the double junction is conventional, but I once made (and never used ---yet) a double slip with switched crossing.  Gives continuous support to the wheels.  Here is a shot of it, although not very clear, you can see the four tie bars.  Each pair of tie bars is operated by one point motor via a pivoted lever. It works very well and I may yet use it on Kirkby Malham.

Derek

Today was the big day, I laid the double junction in place.  It is the largest piece of point-work I have ever fixed  at one time and  I was a bit dubious.  But it lined up with the main lines OK  and is now a permanent fixture.

Pic 1 shows it in place after I took the weights off, but with the pins still there.

Pic 2 is of the formation, cleaned up and ready to fit point rodding.  The two lines of the branch come together and I have roughed out how it will all look. 

Pic 3 is from the other direction, and will be the drivers view (a bit elevated) coming from Grassington

This will form the end of the scenic section.

Derek

post-6110-0-15018500-1426623778_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-58602200-1426623816_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-04582100-1426624032_thumb.jpg

• Like 7