Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

I'll add my best wishes. As ever, I feel for you with your knee complaints. The rest is outside my experience, but doubtless much more of a trial.

Please keep on posting. I've been privileged to see some beautiful layouts on rmweb and in magazines, but Kirkby Malham is one of the most stunning. In fact, I think it might actually be the most stunning. And I'm not given to using superlatives lightly. It puts me in mind of Buckingham or Castle Rackrent, but is more restrained, more refined. It's like a window onto the Edwardian era. I love it.

Alan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

At last I have got down to a bit more actual modelling. For the past few months or so I have been playing. At least I am learning about all the little quirks I managed to build in to the layout. Board 1, containing the buffer stops and part of the village, has been taken down and balanced on my trusty bench. I want to do some sort of scenic treatment on this board. The ground work will be granite setts with a few shops, the Station Hotel and the station masters house. This board will butt up to a narrow board with a row of low relief houses, all nothing at all like the actual Kirkby Malham.

While the board was out, I took a couple of piccies along the line through the station to give some idea of the long curve of the main lines. In one, the local early morning passenger train ex Kettlewell and calling at Grassington and Hanlith with two milk vans has, just arrived. The milk at Kirkby Malham will be loaded, and the vans attached to the next through train to Leeds, for Bells Dairy. This is a weekday (not Monday) working.

My modelling operations will be a bit curtailed in the near future. I will be paying visits to the hospital for various tests etc, with four over the coming two weeks, ending up with a consultation with the cardiologist. Each visit is a round trip of over sixty miles, and bearing in mind I cannot drive myself for these visits, we are fortunate to have some good friends and family.

Derek

I love this view of the layout (not seen this angle before). It has the look of one of those Frith Postcards.

Very Good

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What a great view down the length of the station! Never seen that angle before, and it's really very good, and highlights all the work on the Station buildings, and the terraced houses, which are normally only seen in the distance in your other shots.

All the best with your hospital visits Derek, hope they can find a solution.

Al.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your good wishes. I went today for a pre op assessment, and next Monday I will go in to have an angiogram. Hope to be only a day case, so home at night. Then back on the Friday to see the cardiologist. I keep thinking, "what a going on", but it is all very necessary. All my hospital visits are very weather dependent, I have to go over the northern moors to get there and if there is a big fall of snow, then it is a no no.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Gold

Hi Derek.

All the best at the hospital. An  angiogram is nothing to worry about mate, it's just a live picture of your heart so they can see what it's up to. It's when they get the "curtain wire" out you need to start worrying. That and shaving your chest so they can stick the pads on....well that's what did it for me anyway......nothing comforting happens when you have an M.I. mate. It's much better that they are going to have a little look see before you get to where I was......twice! First one hurt like hell! Second one... well it knocked me on my ass and then it hurt like hell and it was so fast compared to the first. Not only that but they had to go back in 3 days later and shore up the first lot of stents I had done 10 years before. I'm working VERY VERY hard on NOT having a third. :scared:

My thoughts are with you my friend as you can see I know........ :O 

Regards Lez.Z.

• 2 weeks later...

Three visits down and one to go. Last Monday I had an angiogram, where the docs put some sort of wire up through an artery in the wrist. Eventually it gets to the heart, and several scans are done. I was told Ihad one artery partially blocked but the other(s) were clear.

Some sort of dye is put in the blood stream, and this affected me quite badly over the few days, feelings of nausea. Getting over it now and ready for the consultant tomorrow.

Derek

It is several weeks since I looked in on here and it appears you have had an angiogram. ....Stupid autos-spellcheck things you've had a radiogram!  Inserting stents is the least troublesome option Derek, as they have probably told you. Good luck....I hope all went well for you today.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered the new paperback, Model Railway Operation, by Martin Neild. Martin is a wonderful modeller of L&Y and GNR, so I hope I will be able to learn something.

Derek

I had the impression you were fairly clued up on operation. I suppose there will be some things you were unaware about.

Don

• RMweb Premium

It is several weeks since I looked in on here and it appears you have had an angiogram. ....Stupid autos-spellcheck things you've had a radiogram!  Inserting stents is the least troublesome option Derek, as they have probably told you. Good luck....I hope all went well for you today.

I agree with Coach. I had two stents put in about 8 years ago - the best preventive maintenance I ever had.

• RMweb Gold

Three visits down and one to go. Last Monday I had an angiogram, where the docs put some sort of wire up through an artery in the wrist. Eventually it gets to the heart, and several scans are done. I was told Ihad one artery partially blocked but the other(s) were clear.

Some sort of dye is put in the blood stream, and this affected me quite badly over the few days, feelings of nausea. Getting over it now and ready for the consultant tomorrow.

Derek

Hello mate.

I'm glad everything went well at the hospital Derek. Are they planing to stent the artery that has the stenosis? It's no worse than what they already did to you mate. It's when it's 2 or 3 that it gets a bit sore afterwards. They can't be that worried about it or they would have done it there and then. Still it's only one so it's an in and out job if they want to do it. I'm pleased for you mate  :yes:

Regards Lez.Z.

Edited by lezz01

The consultation went OK, with the cardiologist writing to recommend me for the "treatmenr". Apparently it has to be considered by a group of consultants. My condition is not urgent, I am showing no symptoms of heart problems, and, had I not been told about it, I would not know I had any sign of heart disease. But, If I have to have a new hip and knee, I need the stent treatment. Without it, the anaethetist will not even consider me for any joint operations. I am in a loop and can't get out, most frustrating

Derek

I had the impression you were fairly clued up on operation. I suppose there will be some things you were unaware about.

Don

Don

I enjoy reading about how other folks do things, and am very willing to learn, and, if necessary, pinch other people's ideas.

Derek

• Like 3

Thanks Larry, it's not the heart thing that concerns me so much as the knee op. My knee replacement was excruciating, and is still giving me some grief, but at least I can walk on it. The other one is arthritic and is so very painful and what is worse, it is limiting. I can't do anything, and it makes me feel completely useless. My interest in modelling has been my salvation, especially over the last three or four years. Olga has been a real treasure, she has done just about everything and gives me tremendous support away from the railway.

Which reminds me, I must get on with some more developments at Kirkby Malham.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Derek.

Good to hear that modelling is maintaining your spirit and your sanity. I'm a bit late wishing you well, but all the best with whatever treatment you are enduring.

And can I agree with Al, and others, regarding the "long views" in post # 647. Absolutely stunning!

Jeff

As I mentioned previously, I have taken down board 1, and it now rests on my trusty bench.  I want to get the basic scenic work done.  The shops are stuck down, but will be relatively easily taken up if or when necessary.  The road is embossed Plastikard, supposedly granite setts, but more like the cobles I knew on the street where my auntie Mabel lived in Leeds when I was a young lad..  Although those cobblestones were somewhat uneven, and difficult when riding a bike.

The hotel has had a repaint and is not fixed down.  In due course I will Araldite bolts in the internal corners and drill corresponding holes in the board so that it can be bolted down.  The Plastikard road surface has been cut to fit around the hotel.

The station masters house will be bedded in but this is due to be replaced at some point.

I have roughed in using a marker pen how I intend to arrange the walls and you will see that I will require two gates.  The overall pic was taken on Saturday. I couldn't go any further until I had a pair of gates, one for the entry to the goods yard and one for the access road to the milk dock.

I decided on a pair of Midland pattern fifteen foot gates and made them together with gateposts over Sunday evening and Monday afternoon.

I need to add the ironwork then paint and weather them.  The fancy gateposts are built to match those on the 'big house', which pleases his Lordship no end.

The stone walls are items I bought from TMC some time ago.  They are a bit on the low side but I will build them up a little when I fix them in place.

Two more small gates are needed, for the path leading from the road to the station, and one for access to the station masters house.

Derek

post-6110-0-73132100-1486416186_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-48610300-1486416225_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 12