Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

It's certainly is, it was 27 years ago that Derek taught me this technique, a superb way to create stonework, well suited to the gritstone of the dales.

Such along time ago Paul, before that Fred Rowntree polluted your mind with thoughts of the North Eastern Railway

Derek

I think I'm going to experiment- what do you use for the scribing?

Any old pointed implement. I use a metal scriber. It was my dads and is probably older than me. My son has made model buildings and uses (I think) a dart. He made a lovely model of North Luffenham station (Rutland) using this method.

Good luck with it. Make sure you keep the horizontal courses ---horizontal.

At least it is cheap.

Derek

• Like 1

Any old pointed implement. I use a metal scriber. It was my dads and is probably older than me. My son has made model buildings and uses (I think) a dart. He made a lovely model of North Luffenham station (Rutland) using this method.

At least it is cheap.

Derek

Thanks

I have long used plasticard- but matching edges/ filling gaps etc is a nuisance, not to mention the cost. Then you see all those lovely scribed plaster walls/ buildings in various magazines and can only gaze longingly at the pictures. As Del would say (Only Fools and Horses) - get the hang of this and 'the Worlds you're lobster'

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At least it is cheap.

Derek

Nice work Derek. Some types of Stone keep more even horizontals than others. Best to work from photos of typical buildings/structures

Don

• RMweb Gold

As you know, I'm primarily an embossed styrene modeller, but you do tempt me strangely with your engravings, Derek! :D

You've made a cracking job of that bridge, and it looks somehow better than any plastic one I've produced,

You've got me thinking now.

Al.

• Like 1

As you know, I'm primarily an embossed styrene modeller, but you do tempt me strangely with your engravings, Derek! :D

You've made a cracking job of that bridge, and it looks somehow better than any plastic one I've produced,

Al.

Al

We've seen your buildings - if you think you can improve on them in this way that is seriously impressive

• RMweb Premium

No, Fred cleared the wicked thoughts of crimson lake and Midland stuff...

So none of those nice Crimson lake North Eastern Railway coaches then

Hat, coat, ta ta!

Baz

PS Derek the work, as always, is superb.

Al.

Al, your buildings for Bakewell and Grindleford are superb, I don't think I can teach you anything in that department.

Derek

• Like 1

Excellent work on the station approach - not simply beautifully modelled, but arranged to make a very convincing scene - I very much enjoyed the photographs.  Excellent battleship too!

The bridge is looking very good.

• Like 1

Now to the painting.  The area I am trying to depict is mainly, I understand, limestone and millstone grit.  I am not a geologist, so may not be entirely correct, however the painting of my structures reflects this.

The first coat is a thin wash of grey.  I use Humbrol enamels and let down with white spirit.

When it is completely dry, I, very lightly,  dry brush with dark brown, in my case GW chocolate !!!.

When all is dry, I run very thin black down the stones.  This fills in some of the mortar courses.  You can run very thin white on some of the courses to represent salts being washed out, but go easy on that. 

Sorry if it seems as if I am trying to teach granny to suck eggs, most of you will be very familiar with all the forgoing.

It is surprising how hard the plaster is when painted in this way.  My water tower has this finish, and I managed to knock it off the layout in Canal Road days.  It fell over four feet on to the floor, which is concrete covered in thin carpet and pretty unforgiving, but the tower was undamaged.

So here are some piccies of the bridge so far, the walling on the rail side is still in the early stages of being finished.

I might add that while the paint has been drying, I have been hacking away at the baseboard to create a wider valley, which is why some of the pics show some pretty untidy woodwork.

Derek

post-6110-0-00060700-1495362286_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-75089300-1495362308_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-37346200-1495362334_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-38737000-1495362363_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-02529300-1495362386_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-78333300-1495362419_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

The bridge still requires me to finish off the rail side walls and provide coping, and this will be done at some point.

I am signing off for the duration now fellas, I am going into hospital today to prepare for a heart valve replacement tomorrow. Apparently they use valves from pigs to do this, so I hope I don't come home grunting and sniffling.

The surgeon will have to go through my chest, so I will not be able to put any weight on my arms. It will make life a tad difficult since I use two sticks to get around. For sure modelling will be a no-no as will sitting at my computer. Of course it all depends on whether everything is cancelled at the last minute. Not unknown in the NHS.

However, if it goes ahead and when I get home, I will be able to keep up with all your doings on my I-pad.

So, I will end with a piccie which I don't think I have shown before. It is, I am afraid, a bit out of focus.

It is my Kirtley 0-4-4 well tank, which celebrated it's fiftieth birthday a few months ago. Painted by Coachman Larry in 1972, it is one of my 'old faithfulls'

Derek

post-6110-0-59433600-1495364150_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The bridge still requires me to finish off the rail side walls and provide coping, and this will be done at some point.

I am signing off for the duration now fells, I am going into hospital today to prepare for a heart valve replacement tomorrow. Apparently they use valves from pigs to do this, so I hope I don't come home grunting and sniffling.

The surgeon will have to go through my chest, so I will not be able to put any weight on my arms. It will make life a tad difficult since I use two sticks to get around. For sure modelling will be a no-no as will sitting at my computer. Of course it all depends on whether everything is cancelled at the last minute. Not unknown in the NHS.

However, if it goes ahead and when I get home, I will be able to keep up with all your doings on my I-pad.

So, I will end with a piccie which I don't think I have shown before.

It is my Kirtley 0-4-4 well tank, which celebrated it's fiftieth birthday a few months ago. Painted by Coachman Larry in 1972, it is one of my 'old faithfulls'

Derek

Good luck Derek and look forward to seeing you back in action before too long.