Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

Any old pointed implement. I use a metal scriber. It was my dads and is probably older than me. My son has made model buildings and uses (I think) a dart. He made a lovely model of North Luffenham station (Rutland) using this method.

Good luck with it. Make sure you keep the horizontal courses ---horizontal.

At least it is cheap.

Derek

Nope I used a scriber you gave me dad! ...its your age u forget!

Btw the station was Luffenham serving both north and south luffenham villages.....and seeing it was a midland station I think I can get away with correcting before someone else does! ;)

• Like 2

Nope I used a scriber you gave me dad! ...its your age u forget!

Btw the station was Luffenham serving both north and south luffenham villages.....and seeing it was a midland station I think I can get away with correcting before someone else does! ;)[/quote

Must be having a senior moment, Chris, I had forgotten. But I thiught it was Luffenham Junction, the Junction of the Midland and LNWR

Thanks for all your good wishes, fellas. My operation was cancelled, but not before I had sat all day in my gown following a shower and having my chest shaved. I was told at 4.30pm having got up at 6.00am. My only complaint is lack of information, but I wouldn't complain about the staff, Iknow full well how busy the hospital is.

There is another appointment being made, but I have grave doubts that it will materialize.

Derek

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all your good wishes, fellas. My operation was cancelled, but not before I had sat all day in my gown following a shower and having my chest shaved. I was told at 4.30pm having got up at 6.00am. My only complaint is lack of information, but I wouldn't complain about the staff, Iknow full well how busy the hospital is.

There is another appointment being made, but I have grave doubts that it will materialize.

Derek

Derek,

The staff probably did not know which is why no one said anything.  In a situation like this they will have a theatre list but if one or two take longer than expected for whatever reason everything gets moved back.  If the situation in theatres is serious then theif minds will be fully occupied and they may not realise how the time is going.

I am sure that they will send another appointment.  Hospitals are fined if they do not do things in the right time frame.

I wanted to finish off the bridge before any more hospital appointments came winging my way. We had our daughter staying with us for a few days, so any modelling 'is out' on the orders of Olga, who, I might say, must be obeyed. However, I did sneak into the railway when she wasn't looking.

The coping stones are from 40 thou plastic sheet, covered in plaster, soaked in solvent, then scribe the joints. You have heard it all before. Finally, it was painted with a thin wash of black Humbrol let down with white spirit.

While the various stages were drying, I hacked a bit more baseboard out to make the river valley.

So, there we have it, a bridge made to fit the situation. It seems to have taken a long time, but in reality, It would be done in a couple of days, it is the drying time between each stage that slows things down.

Now I have to scenify the area, but that will be for another day.

Derek

post-6110-0-61950600-1496162446_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-54590600-1496162504_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-06099000-1496162541_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-06001200-1496162600_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-64644200-1496162631_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-85444200-1496162659_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 17

It is looking good Derek. I have been meaning to come and see you, but a procession of visiting relatives and holidays has curtailed that. I am now back into normal operations, and have been able to get some more modelling done. I hope you get a new date for the operation shortly.

Best Wishes

Kevin.

• 2 weeks later...

Now it was time to infill the bridge.  It spans the river Aire just as it flows out of Hanlith Gill, and over Hanlith Force.

Hanlith Gill lies a few miles from Trollers Gtll and is a similar rock formation.  Trollers Gill was so named, in Viking legend, because it is the home of Trolls, dreadful creatures who throw rocks down from the heights on to travellers below.  Not too dissimilar to the modern day internet Trolls.

It is also home to Barghest, a huge black dog with eyes the size of saucers and who turns people to stone by looking at them.

Barghest also has been seen in Hanlith Gill, but it did not stop local youths enticing maidens to go with them for a stroll, some of whom, unfortunately came out of the Gill very slightly pregnant.

Family and church outings to the Gill were popular on a pleasant warm Sundays, so it was with some horror that the local population saw the railway despoiling Hanlith Gill.  A deputation went to the big house and pleaded with her Ladyship to approach his Lordship to save their favourite place.  In a rare moment of magnanimity he agreed, and passed a bye law forbidding anyone with a spade, shovel, pick or wheelbarrow from going into the Gill more than ten yards from the line of railway.  This was in 1906, and for a hundred years, Hanlith Gill was saved.  However in 2006 his Lordships dependants fell on hard times and sold much of the land to a developer.  The developer culverted the river and built a large housing estate around the Gill , homes for local people only!!.  The locals would not be seen dead in that estate, so the houses were bought as second homes by people in Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield and Manchester.

By this time, Barghest was forced out of Hanlith Gill, so went back to Trollers  Gtll, but found another dog in residence who would not share.  So poor Barghest was homeless, but on applying to the local authority was given a council kennel, and benefits in the form of two packs of dog biscuits and a tin of dog meat per week, but with the condition that he wear NHS shades at all times to avoid turning too many people to stone.

Derek

more later

Now it was time to infill the bridge.  It spans the river Aire just as it flows out of Hanlith Gill, and over Hanlith Force.

Hanlith Gill lies a few miles from Trollers Gtll and is a similar rock formation.  Trollers Gill was so named, in Viking legend, because it is the home of Trolls, dreadful creatures who throw rocks down from the heights on to travellers below.  Not too dissimilar to the modern day internet Trolls.

It is also home to Barghest, a huge black dog with eyes the size of saucers and who turns people to stone by looking at them.

Barghest also has been seen in Hanlith Gill, but it did not stop local youths enticing maidens to go with them for a stroll, some of whom, unfortunately came out of the Gill very slightly pregnant.

Family and church outings to the Gill were popular on a pleasant warm Sundays, so it was with some horror that the local population saw the railway despoiling Hanlith Gill.  A deputation went to the big house and pleaded with her Ladyship to approach his Lordship to save their favourite place.  In a rare moment of magnanimity he agreed, and passed a bye law forbidding anyone with a spade, shovel, pick or wheelbarrow from going into the Gill more than ten yards from the line of railway.  This was in 1906, and for a hundred years, Hanlith Gill was saved.  However in 2006 his Lordships dependants fell on hard times and sold much of the land to a developer.  The developer culverted the river and built a large housing estate around the Gill , homes for local people only!!.  The locals would not be seen dead in that estate, so the houses were bought as second homes by people in Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield and Manchester.

By this time, Barghest was forced out of Hanlith Gill, so went back to Trollers  Gtll, but found another dog in residence who would not share.  So poor Barghest was homeless, but on applying to the local authority was given a council kennel, and benefits in the form of two packs of dog biscuits and a tin of dog meat per week, but with the condition that he wear NHS shades at all times to avoid turning too many people to stone.

Derek

more later

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 5

I had meant to make this all one post, but the evening meal interrupted.

I managed to press the 'add reply' button twice doh!!

Hanlith Gtll and Hanlith Force, as far as  know do not exist, they are products of my imagination.  Trollers Gill, however,  does exist and may be located to the north of the village of Appletreewick.  On a dark and miserable day with low dark scudding clouds and a hint of rain in the air, it assumes an eerie and menacing appearance, especially if you are alone,  but on a hot day with bright sunshine, it is a beautiful place and perfect for a picnic, but watch out for the dog!! 

I haven't  been to Trollers Gill for many, many years, but I hope the local; council has not decided to make a charge for entry, or a tea/gift shop appeared on site.

When very young I cycled extensively in this area and one day one of the villagers told us that to pronounce Appletreewick properly, it was App-tick. On going into the next village, Burnsall, we referred to Appletreewick as App-tick as we had been told.  The people there thought it a great joke, so, I guess, we were treated as those idiot townies.

Back to the modelling.  Limestone is a sedimentary rock, so I am going to try a replicate it with layers of softboard (fibreboard) broken over a sharp edge on my bench, the rough edge being the face of the rocks..

The first pic shows the pieces of fibreboard stuck in place.  I have to admit, it looks like nothing on earth.

They are then 'painted' using a stiff brush and a thick creamy mix of polyfilla.

The sides of the cutting and approach to the bridge are formed from old plaster bandage.  Now everything has to dry which is where all the time goes, but when the plaster is dry and firm, it will be dry brushed with brown, grey and black powder paints.  The bed of the stream will be panted and  many layers of gloss varnish for water. If it does not work, there is nothing lost save for a few hours of my time.

Derek

post-6110-0-07409500-1496947237_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-82608600-1496947273_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-92438900-1496947303_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-01248800-1496947327_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-52343100-1496947350_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-42937500-1496947381_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-96344200-1496947406_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

I am still working on the board carrying the railway over the river Aire.  It seems to be taking forever, but  this section is, perhaps, the most involved of all the scenic work on the line.  I have started to grass the front areas.  This is only the first 'coat', quite a lot more detail is required although that can be added when all is back in situ.  I have started working on the 'other' side of the line.  One part is just a lot of grass, but this, once again, requires much detail work.

The scenic treatment has to correspond with the adjacent board, which formed the main line to the north out of Canal Road in it's previous life, and which sported a rock cutting.  I am, once again, using broken fibre board covered in plaster to represent to face of the cutting.  The railway builders had no option but to form the cutting through the rock, it is the southern end of Hanlith Gill, and could not be avoided.

The river surface of umpteen layers of varnish has not been started yet.  this will be the last job.  The low retaining wall along the cutting is out of Linka and will, hopefully, be painted to match the corresponding wall on the next board.

The river Aire at this point, just a few miles from it's source is a sparkling stream, and it was around here that it featured in the book "the water Babies".  I remember reading it in primary school, but had no idea then, where Malham was. Thirty odd miles downstream, after flowing through Skipton, Keighley, Bingley and Leeds, the river is a steaming, stinking, filthy waterway -- remember, we are in 1908 now, but even in the 1950's when I went to school, I had to cross the river on the bus, and it was still a mess.  The big clean up on the environment in recent years has gone a long way to restoring it to a much cleaner and pleasant state. 

Derek

post-6110-0-10747500-1498232506_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-19222500-1498232552_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-01596900-1498232573_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-14923400-1498232596_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-38181100-1498232619_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 15

I am still working on the board carrying the railway over the river Aire.  It seems to be taking forever, but  this section is, perhaps, the most involved of all the scenic work on the line.  I have started to grass the front areas.  This is only the first 'coat', quite a lot more detail is required although that can be added when all is back in situ.  I have started working on the 'other' side of the line.  One part is just a lot of grass, but this, once again, requires much detail work.

The scenic treatment has to correspond with the adjacent board, which formed the main line to the north out of Canal Road in it's previous life, and which sported a rock cutting.  I am, once again, using broken fibre board covered in plaster to represent to face of the cutting.  The railway builders had no option but to form the cutting through the rock, it is the southern end of Hanlith Gill, and could not be avoided.

The river surface of umpteen layers of varnish has not been started yet.  this will be the last job.  The low retaining wall along the cutting is out of Linka and will, hopefully, be painted to match the corresponding wall on the next board.

The river Aire at this point, just a few miles from it's source is a sparkling stream, and it was around here that it featured in the book "the water Babies".  I remember reading it in primary school, but had no idea then, where Malham was. Thirty odd miles downstream, after flowing through Skipton, Keighley, Bingley and Leeds, the river is a steaming, stinking, filthy waterway -- remember, we are in 1908 now, but even in the 1950's when I went to school, I had to cross the river on the bus, and it was still a mess.  The big clean up on the environment in recent years has gone a long way to restoring it to a much cleaner and pleasant state. 

Derek

Wonderful stuff, and a greater rate of progress than I could ever manage.

Is a waterfall a "force" round your way, as it is here?

I like the local legend behind the landscape; it adds to the appreciation of the modelled scene.

In 1896, the Tees was so full of animal effluent from the upper dale, human effluent and industrial waste, that both Barnard Castle and Darlington experienced a serious cholera epidemic.  The countryside was not always the manicured theme park some people believe it to be.

Now, as then, the main thing to remember about the countryside is that, in one way or another, it's pretty much covered in sh1t! 

• Like 2

Thank you Edwardian, Yes, we have High Force, Hardraw Force, just a couple of miles north of Kirkby Malham, we have Janet's Foss, and of course, there is Aysgarth Falls. Yer takes yer pick!

I assume much of the naming around here is to do with the Vikings, what with their raping and pillaging.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 3

When you said I painted the MR Well Tank  50 years ago, I was a certain age at the time so I added 50 years and realised I am not so old after all. It was 45 years ago ha ha. I seem to have missed the info on your impending operation Derek.   Good luck anyway.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2