Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Gold

Another lovely piece of modelling Derek, will be interested to see it once you've added the 300 coats of varnish :)

It reminds me of this, which I took at the start of the month at Applecross, Wester Ross:

post-17302-0-37993300-1498264380_thumb.jpg

Which I thought at the time looked very model-like.

All the very best mate,

Al.

• Like 11

Absolutely beautiful Al. We have done a great deal of touring in Scotland over the years, most of our annual holidays were spent there. No sunny Med beaches for us. We started with bed and breakfast, then graduated to camping and finally to caravaning. Some wonderful times.

Derek

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice work Derek

l

Near your modelled area

Ghaistrill Strid upstream of Grassington the water was fairly low at the time

post-8525-0-87182700-1498321121_thumb.jpg

and THE Strid between Barden Bridge and Bolton Abbey again at fairly low water

post-8525-0-10984400-1498321149_thumb.jpg

The Strid is reckoned to be one of the most dangerous bits of water. A thirty foot wide river squeezes through that gap it is very deep and furious. It is not difficult to jump across but there is no record that anyone who has slipped and fallen in has ever come out alive 

Don

Edited by Donw
  • Like 6

Yes Don, the Strid. I have walked many times around Barden Tower and Bolton Abbey, but never had the courage to even go near the Strid. I think the problems lie in the lichen and algae growing on the rocks each side, make for a slippery take off and landing.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800

• RMweb Premium

one of the most expensive car parks in the world is at Bolton Abbey.. but yes we "jumped" the Strid... it  is like a rite of passage...and it was a long time ago....

wouldn't do it now.. too old and cranky!

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

one of the most expensive car parks in the world is at Bolton Abbey.. but yes we "jumped" the Strid... it  is like a rite of passage...and it was a long time ago....

wouldn't do it now.. too old and cranky!

Baz

Jumped the Strid in summer 1976, during the Great Drought so the water level was very low and the river looked almost benign. As Baz says, a rite of passage - a bit like jumping between Adam and Eve on Tryfan. I wouldn't do either of those things again.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all your comments and good wished

Just got access to my ipad. Still in hospital after 4 weeks after 3 major ops on the heart area. Now got a chest infection but I am determined to be back in the land of the living in a few more weeks.

Derek

Good to hear from you Derek, hope they had a good supply of Crimson Lake from Derby while they were operating...

And despite you not being there we've had a very successful exhibition.

I was there in spirit Paul Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

its when they ask you to move out so that they can get more doctors in the room you realise you can get dressed and go home....

hope all goes well and they let you out soon.

Baz

• 2 weeks later...

Yippee, I have escaped. Left hospital today. I had been the longest patient in the cardiac department, five weeks and two days, when I thought I would be out in a week. Apart from a barrow load of pills to take, I am OK. Got a lot of cuddles from the nurses, I enjoyed that.

Got home and felt so tired. Turns out that there had to be three serious ops to get me right. Any way I won't be doing any modelling for a while, but I will be at home

Derek

• Like 3

Yippee, I have escaped. Left hospital today. I had been the longest patient in the cardiac department, five weeks and two days, when I thought I would be out in a week. Apart from a barrow load of pills to take, I am OK. Got a lot of cuddles from the nurses, I enjoyed that.

Got home and felt so tired. Turns out that there had to be three serious ops to get me right. Any way I won't be doing any modelling for a while, but I will be at home

Derek

Excellent news you are home and on the mend.......

No modelling but plenty of planning and research during that time - do doubt....!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Derek

Brilliant news!

Take your time and look after yourself mate, really glad to hear from you.

Al.

Thanks for your good wishes fellas. Olga is certainly a good nurse and fortunately I can do a lot for myself. The time in hospital made me pretty indepedant, but everything's I do is a real effort and even getting dressed and going to the loo completely knackers me. I am walking with a walking frame initially until my sternum mends, that will take six weeks I am told. Some folks in the hospital watched me walking and I got the name of the fastest old zimmer in the west.

Derek

• Like 4