Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

Hi Derek, -glad to hear you are starting to feel a bit better. I have had a foul chest bug, so I have been keeping well clear of you for obvious reasons! My modelling has come to a halt due to re-tiling and refitting the bathroom, but that should be back to normal in a week or so. 

Best wishes to you and Olga

Kevin.

I am not sure that this conversation is getting us anywhere fast. It was started by Paul ( Worsdell forever) who has the memory of an elephant, and before we go down that tack, no, I didn't employ an elephant on my little station. I never wanted an elephant and the local shop had sold out anyway.

Derek

• RMweb Premium

I think most of us are also afflicted with a warped sense of humour. My wife thinks so and often calls me to account.

Derek

I reckon a warped sense of humour is a prerequisite for building model railways.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Derek - do you need a 4mm to the foot EM elephant? - I may have one somewhere, it used to be MR crimson, but it has faded to pink.

Fully lined out with brass numerals, or simplified livery with 18" transfers?

What power class?

• Like 1

Fully lined out with brass numerals, or simplified livery with 18" transfers?

What power class?

If it's a Johnson elephant there'll be another one somewhere with legs 3" shorter for going up little hills, and yet another with shorter legs still for big hills. And elephants are frequently seen double heading trunk to tail.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If it's a Johnson elephant there'll be another one somewhere with legs 3" shorter for going up little hills, and yet another with shorter legs still for big hills. And elephants are frequently seen double heading trunk to tail.

Elephants have four knees, so knees on the front legs as well as the back. They're going to regret that when they're older.

They also have four feet, they would look silly with just six inches.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Derek - do you need a 4mm to the foot EM elephant? - I may have one somewhere, it used to be MR crimson, but it has faded to pink.

Wouldn’t the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway’s second Locomotive be a little out of place and time on Derek’s layout?

• 2 weeks later...

That is quite OK by me Kevin, nice to have a bit of a change.

I have now got back into the railway after a lay off, due to my temporary loss of interest.

My youngest son, Chris, came to stay for a few days and install some shelving in the railway room. I was able to clear the baseboards of all the detritus and spare model buildings. Seeing a clear board gave me the urge to get moving, but more later with some piccies.

Derek

• Like 10

Hi Mr Kirtley800

I was wondering if I could beg some help with my latest model. As you may or may not know I model the South Farne Island railway system and as I'm fastidious as the next man when it comes to accurately modelled railway liveries, I've got a problem.

Historical facts are not exactly plentiful for the South Farne island's North Tees Railway, (loco's painted a very nice NER dark green),  but when it comes to locomotives of the South Farne Iron Companies details are so vague as to be almost non existent. Luckily I obtained plans for South Farne No.1 as built by Robert Stephensons in the 1870's, plans subsequently used by Kitsons to build the superficially very similar Consett A class. You can't get a more North Eastern pedigree than that can you?

Unfortunately when it comes to what colour these lovely North East England loco's were painted history has not recorded. The only history I have managed to track down is a vague oral history that suggests that the South Farne Iron Company loco's were painted red.

I don't like to blow my own trumpet, but as the world's expert on the South Farne Railways, if I don't know the definitive colour nobody does.

The upshot of this preamble is that unusually for me I have a degree of freedom to paint this loco any colour I like, provided it's red.

I couldn't help but notice that you are perhaps RMWEB's leading advocate of painting loco's red. I was wondering if you could perhaps suggest a suitable shade of red for my loco?

Yours in anticipation.

Iain Popplewell.

Edited by Iain Popplewell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

I think you'll find that Derek has a few NE green engines as well as all this yummy red stuff. Something to do with a NE branch I believe.

Just sayin is all...... :senile:   

Regards Lez.Z.

Hi Mr Kirtley800

I was wondering if I could beg some help with my latest model. As you may or may not know I model the South Farne Island railway system and as I'm fastidious as the next man when it comes to accurately modelled railway liveries, I've got a problem.

Historical facts are not exactly plentiful for the South Farne island's North Tees Railway, (loco's painted a very nice NER dark green),  but when it comes to locomotives of the South Farne Iron Companies details are so vague as to be almost non existent. Luckily I obtained plans for South Farne No.1 as built by Robert Stephensons in the 1870's, plans subsequently used by Kitsons to build the superficially very similar Consett A class. You can't get a more North Eastern pedigree can that can you?

Unfortunately when it comes to what colour these lovely North East England loco's were painted history has not recorded. The only history I have managed to track down is a vague oral history that suggests that the South Farne Iron Company loco's were painted red.

I don't like to blow my own trumpet, but as the world's expert on the South Farne Railways, if I don't know the definitive colour nobody does.

The upshot of this preamble is that unusually for me I have a degree of freedom to paint this loco any colour I like, provided it's red.

I couldn't help but notice that you are perhaps RMWEB's leading advocate of painting loco's red. I was wondering if you could perhaps suggest a suitable shade of red for my loco?

Yours in anticipation.

Iain Popplewell.

Ian, you are asking the wrong one. Coachman Larry is the one to ask, he painted and lined most of my crimson stuff.

The ones I painted used BMC Damask Red in a rattle can, but in my case, sprayed over a grey undercoat. Damask isn't a bad match for Larry's work until it is photographed in artificial light.

Here are a few piccies to show what difference there might be.

The Kirtley 0-4-4T on the turn table and the Johnson 4-4-0 slim boiler at the buffer stops are Larry's work.

The Johnson Compound in the old Canal Road fiddle yard, and the Deeley 0-6-4 tank are my efforts at painting.

Derek

post-6110-0-54859800-1510613576_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-60454600-1510613675_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-01441600-1510613731_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-48723900-1510613765_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Thanks Mr Kirtley800.

Those engines look just lovely. What's good enough for you and Larry looks good enough for me.

Crimson Lake it is then.

Here's one I prepared earlier.

South Farne Iron Company No.1 (circa 3rd  Aug 1913 11.30am approx.)

post-13703-0-80844200-1510653459.jpg

post-13703-0-87059500-1510653244.jpg

You like Mr Kirtley? At last an engine from the North East in red.

Ps. Great to see you up and about again. Love your layout it's tremendous.

Edit: To change date from 13th to correct date 3rd.

Edited by Iain Popplewell
  • Like 8