Midland Railway in EM gauge

Mrkirtley800

The coaling stage was stuck in place, but before the glue set I made sure of the clearances.  Didn't want locos to foul the stage, so tested with my outside framed engines.

The Kirtley goods 0-6-0 in crimson lake was a K's kit.  The kit was a birthday present from Olga, and it was built in about 1965.  K's mark 2 motor replaced by a Mashima.  It has run many miles over the years and still one of the mainstays of my goods traffic.

The Kirtley goods in the 'new' plain black livery (remember this is 1908) is basically a Jidenco kit.  It was quite a difficult kit to build and much of it was discarded in favour of some scratch building.  I believe it was Ian Rice who said that the old Jidenco kits were an aid to scratch building.  However I'm glad I built it, it runs quietly and reliably.

The Kirtley 800 class 2-4-0 was a pure scratch build.  I had always wanted one of these engines, and when I came across a drawing by Maskelyne (once the editor of the Model Railway News) I was away.  Unfortunately the drawing was made to fill the paper it was drawn on, and it worked out at a scale of something like 8,25mm/ft.  Out came my slide rule - no calculators then, this was 1972.  It started off with a K's mark 2 motor but now sports an Ultrascale motor/gearbox.

The 0-4-4 well tank you have seen before.  Scratch built in about 1968 and powered with a Triang XT60 motor.  It ran with this for many years until the motor died.  Now has a Mashima.

Finally the 0-6-0 well tank has been seen in the pages of RMW a few times before.  Scratch built over an extended period, started in 1966 and finally completed in about 1984. 

All the lined crimson locos were painted for me by Coachman Larry, and a superb job he made too

As you might suspect, I have a weakness for locomotives with outside frames, of any railway.  I find the old engines really fascinating.  All mine have done sterling work over the years, with only the occasional problem mainly with the outside cranks coming adrift.

Anyway, I'm glad to say, they all ran to the turn table without fouling the coaling stage.

Now to blend the coaling stage into the scenery.

Derek

Derek

post-6110-0-60250600-1442580781_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-92545400-1442580851_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-46690700-1442580891_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-48606300-1442580913_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-85626000-1442580949_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-29084900-1442580984_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-23493300-1442581023_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-12412300-1442581080_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-78609900-1442581103_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

The 'colouring' of your layout has a David Jenkinson air about it. It is so very much pre-grouping that I cannot imagine a BR liveried train looking right on it. We were mere chickens back in the early 1970's when some of those locos were constructed and painted and they have certainly stood the test of time, which is probably more than we can say for our own cronky bodies!    :mosking:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

well i hope those 2 poor chaps on that coaling stage are working split shift with some other blokes, as judging from the number of locos you have that could possibly visit they are going to be pretty busy!!!

i think your right about the kirtley Dad. Over the years i was never that keen on it when you used to run it and i think i preferred your NE J26 (for some unknown reason)....but now time has progressed i think the Kirtley has grown on me - must be an ageist thing!!!

(note to self: must butter you up..... that would be a nice model in o-gauge #slaters ;);) )

• Like 2

Thanks for your nice comments Larry, Don and Kes.  During the 1960's in my early days of pre group modelling I had thought of the 1890's but at the time I was pretty ignorant about the Midland of that period, so decided on a later period.  It was going to be in the grouping period about 1928 but the lure of all those red engines was too strong.  However, it wasn't until Jenkinson and Essery's series of books on Midland locomotives that decided me on 1908. 

Chris those men shovelling coal were brought up on black pudding, tripe and brown ale, they will cope OK.

I am tempted to have a try at an '0' gauge Kirtley goods, but the household authorities might have other ideas.

Have been beavering away today.  Chopped a chunk out of the platform to lay a line to the milk dock, and laid the cork trackbed.

This meant the signal box would have to be moved, so cut out more of the grass I have just 'grown' and built a retaining wall .

Filled in the gaps in the embankment around the coaling stage and put more vegetation in place.

Just got the pics of the lay of the line to the milk dock.  Will take some more tomorrow.

Derek

post-6110-0-42625000-1442782040_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-30268900-1442782064_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Coachman, the colouring of the layout looks so right for pre-grouping, and it really lends itself to some Edwardian photography, I hope you don't mind:

post-17302-0-96192100-1442785870_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-70084600-1442785878_thumb.jpg

Fantastic shots in the first place, I've just tweaked light levels and colour.

Of course the drawback is, you can't see the lovely maroon engines anymore :O

Al.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Alistair, like the sepia photos but "Maroon locos" surely not they are Crimson Lake.....

hat, coat, gone....

Yep, absolutely, I hang my head in shame...

Sorry Derek, for using the "M" word.

Al.

Edited by acg_mr

Thanks again fellas.  I don't really care what the crimson lake gets called.  We all know what is meant.  The only exception is Midland Red, which is (or was) the bus company serving Stafford and the west midlands when I lived there back in the 1960's.

I like your sepia pics  Al, the only thing that spoils them is that damn great gap under the loco shed.  Must really do something about that.  That shed, as I have sad previously, has  yet to have doors and drain pipes put on..  Been waiting for those for years.

But I don't mind you playing around with my amateurish photos. 

Just a few piccies today of the coal stage now set in the grass bank and the retaining wall built but not stuck in place for the signal box.

Have made and painted a couple of lengths of half track, and will lay them into the milk dock tomorrow - I hope!!

Derek

post-6110-0-36353300-1442866224_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-48682500-1442866260_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-26244000-1442866292_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Had a few days of tidying up.  The embankment behind the signal box was covered in the first coat of grass and sundry vegetation. I will put a dry stone wall on top of the embankment, and along the length of the station area to the bridge. That will take a lot of time and, to avoid me going completely mad, will be done piecemeal.

The line into the milk dock has been laid, wired in and tested with the flatiron and a six wheeled passenger brake van.  The platform forming the milk dock will fit in the triangle formed by the siding and the edge of the baseboard. Unavoidably, it will be an odd shape but it is intended to give the impression of being wider than it actually is. That milk platform is under construction at the moment.

Just in case of queries, no, the signal box will not be permanently blocking access to the goods shed!!

I need to finish the alterations to the main arrival platform  (the one I cut down) so that it can be screwed back in place and be a permanent feature.

Not really much to report but it seems to have occupied quite a lot of my time, although I have enjoyed running engines up and down to make sure I got the clearances correct.

Derek

post-6110-0-52226700-1443210301_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-43576100-1443210340_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-77756400-1443210415_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-54229600-1443210447_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

It's some time since I last put anything on this thread.  Still working away on the milk dock and the station.

The milk dock platform was built out of ply - about 2mm I think, then some embossed stonework stuck on the sides.  Normally I would have scribed the stone out of plaster, but I found this embossed material, which I think, is from Peco.  Anyway it looks quite good when painted.

The top surface was out of Plastikard, with the paving scribed using a scraper board knife.  For anyone who hasn't met one of these before, it is an ideal tool for producing a groove in soft materials.  The result is in a couple of the pics.

The milk dock is not yet fixed permanently, but will be when I have completed the alterations to the arrival platform.

Derek

post-6110-0-15088900-1444317278_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-09495100-1444317311_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-43854600-1444317349_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-17323200-1444317377_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

The milk platform looks quite good. It is also interesting the see all the point switches along the front. Do you find that more convenient than grouping them together as though part of a lever frame?

Don

Superb work as ever Derek. Can you remember where you got your 'scraper board knife', and who makes them? It looks like it could be the ideal tool for detailing the interior of the several old Airfix kit 16T wagons I've got to build.

Thanks for sharing as always,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 2

Thank you fellas.

Don, the idea of putting the switches almost next to the points is firstly, for simplicity with not a lot of wiring.  Because of my joint problems I could no longer get under the  base boards, so decided to make each board an independent unit.  The only inter board connections are the power to the track and the power to the electro magnets - I use Alex Jackson couplings..  With Canal Road I had a central control panel for my EM side and another for Chris's (my youngest son) 00.  Everything was controlled from the panels.  It meant dozens of wires and connectors but it worked.  I would operate for a couple (or more) of hours, sitting on a kitchen stool propped up on my daughter's old stepping  stool.  That was fine until my knees gave up on me, then I found sitting for so long stiffened everything up and was very painful.  In fact I could not walk.

Neither could I clean the parts at the rear of the layout, so the long siding became, to say the least, grotty.

So, Canal Road had to go and with Kirkby Malham I decided on the system you see, so that I have to move, although not far, to operate.  Keeps the joints moving a bit.

Jock, I have had the scraper board knife for years so can't remember where it came from, but probably Eileen's Emporium, or Squires.  Those are the only two where I get my tools.

Derek

Can you remember where you got your 'scraper board knife', and who makes them? It looks like it could be the ideal tool for detailing the interior of the several old Airfix kit 16T wagons I've got to build.

I bought mine from an art supplies shop. There are a variety of blades available for them.

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, that is useful to know.

Larry, Kirkby Malham is the old fashioned steam (?) driven DC.  I use H&M Walkabouts, now a bit long in the tooth but give superb control. To go digital with all my little locos would cost a fortune and I wouldn't get them all converted before I fell off my perch, or went completely ga-ga.

I am, for ever, destined to inhabit the stone age.

Derek

• Like 1

Afternoon Derek,

I'm going to stick with DC if I ever get my layout off the drawing board - all depends on this accursed illness. Purely because I already have some DC stuff, and my illness is terminal, so I'm not going to use up the time learning new tricks! Mine will be more like an MPD diorama, with the only regular movements being shunting into the nearby mineral sidings, and an occasional 2P with 2 or 3 suburbansn the branch line.

Whatever the operating system, it would be difficult to make a more realistic layout than the one you are producing!

Thanks gents for the information on the 'scraper board knife'.

Kind regards,

Jock.

To bring us right up to date here are a few pics of Kirkby Malham as I have started to add a bit of detail.  Whilst on with the milk dock I had to make a pair of angled station name boards and they can be seen on a couple of the pics .  They have yet to be fitted permanently.  Also a loading gauge and a "locos must not pass" sign have been installed outside the goods shed.  The platform surfaces have been given a coat of thin paint, but they won't stay like that.  Within a few weeks they will have toned down a bit.

Going back to the coaling stage, the hoist has been fitted, and doors for the loco shed are being made.

I am trying to decide if the station actually needs two angled name boards, and I am scouring old pictures in my many books on the Midland. Often, in through stations, the angled boards are on the approach side of the station with a conventional flat board on the departure end.

Looking at the pics it all seems so clean and clinical.  It won't stay that way. 

One thing I would like an opinion on.  Does it look better with or without the large canopy on the arrival platform?  I made that for Canal Road, and was inspired by old photographs of Hawes Junction on the Settle and Carlisle (circa 1905).  I just wonder if such a structure looks right on such a small station.

Derek

post-6110-0-34400700-1444419145_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-36082500-1444419217_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-28201200-1444419284_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-39105800-1444419332_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-05638400-1444419411_thumb.jpg

post-6110-0-06892500-1444419456_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I use H&M Walkabouts, now a bit long in the tooth but give superb control. To go digital with all my little locos would cost a fortune and I wouldn't get them all converted before I fell off my perch, or went completely ga-ga.

I am, for ever, destined to inhabit the stone age.

Derek

Hello Derek

I know exactly what you mean - those H&M Walkabouts are the best controllers I've yet used, Stone Age or not. When I moved to 7mm, I deliberately used Mashima 1824s and 1830s because the low current draw allowed me to keep on using the Walkabouts in the larger scale.

I love your modelling - it's just bursting with Dales character and atmosphere.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do like my walkabout but for 7mm I bought an on tracks one with a lug in hand held that will give a couple of amps but as most of my stuff has portescap or ABC power I don't need the current but the on tracks one is a smoother DC than the Walkabout so better for coreless motors.

I can appreciate the choice of where to put the switches. I use three links so I am thinking a frame for the main turnouts and signals but local switches for the yard as I need to walk about to do the coupling/uncoupling. When I had the exhibition layout one of my operators with mobility problems like to sit on a chair (we operated from the front) to operate. If he could reach something he would ask one of the visitors to do it for him.

Don

• Like 1

Morning Derek,

I personally like the canopy but really, rule 1 must apply, what you most like the look of must be right!

Looking fantastic, and so quickly coming together since we looked at the bare boards!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Thank you for your nice comments David.  I have spent so much time in the Dales, if I didn't get it somewhere near correct I would think I was going somewhat loopy.  Come to think of it, the family think that anyway..

Don, I have used the Walkabouts to test the '0' gauge locos I built for my son.  They do perform superbly, and that bit of extra weight works wonders.  If I was starting again I would be tempted into 7mm.

Jock, I think you are right.  I rather like the big canopy.  Think I will keep it.

Derek

• Like 2