16mm Andrew Barclay Darent

This week it's cab sheeting time.

The lower cab consists of three sections, two sides and the back.

The back section was made in one piece, and using the hand shaper to groove the fold lines, this ensured two crisp bends. The sides used the bottom fixings as a template for the bends. The top rails on the full size loco used a slightly rounded top, so once soldered on the top was rounded with files. I've not rounded off the rails on one loco as the tall cab will rest onto it.

One tricky job was machining a notch into some 2mm nickel silver rod, these  form the vertical hand rails that allow the side sheets to fit into, on the prototype we use tubes.

And lastly was fitting the angle around the bottom of the cab footplate.

Next job is the two chimneys which are both different.

Simon

2Yzziy8.jpg

3Z6a0Jc.jpg

Dm7IMiH.jpg

st4LUVk.jpg

fGlWdhU.jpg

luhg1w6.jpg

2rajnhr.jpg

4bSWCa9.jpg

nuf32iY.jpg

zwGoBxx.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...

This week I've been working on the chimneys, it's one of the things I really enjoy making.

Using various jigs and tools speeds up producing them.

The shorter chimney was the easiest one to make because I've got the works drawings, but the taller one just relies on some notes and a few photos.

The reason for the taller chimney was because of a visit we made to the Linton & Barnstable line, shortly after finishing the restoration. The weather at the line was extremely wet and windy, so the decision to fit an enclosed cab and tall chimney was taken. We used the original base but cut off the tapered top, replacing it with a tube which came from a lamp post, and fitting a top which one of us had.

Ip9AjVC.jpg

1i0QQ8Y.jpg

3apkD0C.jpg

FB2JZsK.jpg

Pn01y2T.jpg

zSX1RIM.jpg

5Wb0P0X.jpg

b8KJZMJ.jpg

V8djSmj.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• 2 weeks later...

Concentrating this week on the smokebox door, it's fixings and some of the smaller details around the smokebox. Also soldered the chimney bases to the smokebox.

Just got to make the darts which will hold the doors on.

oX5BWER.jpg

OnEmZfL.jpg

GbWHFGF.jpg

70LIyv0.jpg

kH7Ll6c.jpg

mdiGvy4.jpg

xwGrmqE.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I've been putting off making the safety valves for a while, but bit the bullet this week.

After deliberating which way to make them, I decided to follow the prototype exactly which meant some quite small parts, especially the buckle at the pivoting end of the valve. In the end I made the actual valve drop into the housing, this gives the correct shape to the valve tops. The rest of the part are straightforward machined parts, except the springs which took the longest to make. The cover plates have also been made, but not fitted yet as I need to make the handrail knobs that hold it down, which is the next job.

Lastly the couplings have been fitted to the front plates.

Simon

zRuExXB.jpg

wEv2Iul.jpg

lpACJJR.jpg

qZrDl25.jpg

GViS4U7.jpg

IYVSnHT.jpg

OuVcyN4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 1 month later...

Back on the build after a short holiday.

Lots of bits manufactured for the brakes and boiler expansion plates. I'm still pondering how to make the handrail knobs for the safety valve cover plates, but I've got an idea so just need to make some form tools.

Simon

2vVoqq1.jpg

a7p4YMH.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Putting the various brake and expansion plates onto the models was fairly quick, what took a bit of time was making 50 dummy bolts for detailing the chassis.

That's it for a while as I'm going to be doing some work on my ON30 layout.

Simon

w367UPa.jpg

hewwBpD.jpg

maaeSPc.jpg

pEYDQ7P.jpg

0GSP66Z.jpg

0tVxxaV.jpg

OUYuiE9.jpg

1d3ZakG.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 3 months later...

I've been putting off starting the crosshead as I wasn't sure of the the best way to accurately make them. After a lot of thought and a day on the drawing board a plan evolved. The top section that fits around the slide bar was made on the mill with the slot for the slide bar and a small raised section that fits in side the bottom section. The bottom section used the mill for the basic sizes and then profile milled for the shape, lastly it was slotted to accept the con rod. This was soldered together accurately with only a small amount of filling to align with the piston rod. The con rod was was profile milled on both faces and after some filling was fitted with the lubricator. The small end of the con rod is held in place in the crosshead with the small hex fitting, and the large end with a representation of the cotter fitting.

Simon

rOFEHUQ.jpg

IdmrImu.jpg

zh3k0Cp.jpg

1N0QGI5.jpg

OFSHb01.jpg

Lue6OTi.jpg

e2BWFIA.jpg

cj7dYY6.jpg

sTRMA3G.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The next stage in the construction is to complete all the bits inside the frames, so starting with the valve gear and valve chests.

Completing these entailed quite a bit of work over several months, but very enjoyable when done in stages especially when machining the very small dummy bolts and nuts.

That's another job ticked off, texted the springs.

Simon

C18A5my.jpg

a1yZC2e.jpg

7MtZXht.jpg

WiRAfyj.jpg

gDsvLgQ.jpg

X6oLJsv.jpg

YfRU0qG.jpg

OMQ2gjo.jpg

mVRDQ7z.jpg

GWH3GD9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 4 weeks later...

After doing some stuff on the ON30 layout it's back to Darent, with the springs.

Normally I not the greatest fan of making springs, as it was part of the day job a while ago, but these I have enjoyed.

Started by making the assembly jig and new anvil for the rivet punch to enable the brass angle to be riveted.

All 8 springs are the same, the only difference is in the angle brackets.

That's another job ticked off for the bits inside the frames, next the derail protection bars.

Simon

CGF0qg3.jpg

N2rN4ww.jpg

e1Palg7.jpg

2lLyMxN.jpg

k4gTd6y.jpg

BF9NDdk.jpg

gc3GNd7.jpg

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

I've been scratching my head for a while about making the hand rail stanchions, luckily Darent doesn't have many only for the safety valves.

So after sourcing some brass balls of the correct diameter, the fun started. First a jig was made to hold the ball and the rod, the balls needed drilling twice, once to get the hole for the rod and then again when the rod was soldered on. Before drilling the balls needed softening as those supplied were in hard condition, the blow torch sorted that out.

A small washer was turned and the end of the bars threaded, then attached to the models. I did have some wastage drilling the balls but its easy with the jig to redo so more.

Next will be the cylinder front covers and derailing bars.

Simon

aHAR47M.jpg

heEYNC8.jpg4q4mDT2.jpgVGsRGqi.jpg12rTYBd.jpgbxyiPdo.jpgccchRTj.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 1 month later...

I’ve been putting off doing the reversers as it has required quite a bit of effort with the parts required for them. First on the list was to do a drawing to produce the patterns for the links, arms, bases and handles, then cut these on the pantograph. With these most of the bits have been silver soldered, as this provides invisible joints once cleaned up and stronger. Not fitted them yet as I’m doing everything that’s required inside the frames to be completed, then stripe down the frames and fit them everything in one go, anyway thats another bit ticked off the list. 

Simon

eKu1xsV.jpg

1yHKN5o.jpg

5yxc6Qt.jpg

YFlIFV7.jpg

57nwRFp.jpg

IR1pNqB.jpg

QFJEf8o.jpg

IHadQko.jpg

aOWNasZ.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3