Unusual PW configurations thread both real and model.

post-17823-0-34855000-1446752594.gif

I suppose a double catch point in the normal sense is where both rails on one track are split by the same lever, but I'm struggling to find another example of the above, where two separate tracks each with a single catch point are operated by the same lever.

Edited by Osgood

• RMweb Gold

I suppose a double catch point in the normal sense is where both rails on one track are split by the same lever, but I'm struggling to find another example of the above, where two separate tracks each with a single catch point are operated by the same lever.

It's quite common, although catch points are not usually operated by hand levers, they are rodded to the signal box as part of the interlocking.

regards,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifbaby-pram.gif

Have a look at Bodmin General - probably one of the better known examples of this arrangement of a trap point.  The modern version - there's one at Didcot (I have pictures) - involves a lot more rails as it is double tongue of course and is effectively half a double slip.

Have a look at Bodmin General - probably one of the better known examples of this arrangement of a trap point.  The modern version - there's one at Didcot (I have pictures) - involves a lot more rails as it is double tongue of course and is effectively half a double slip.

I don't think that is an issue of modernity, both versions have co-existed for decades, as have both single and double tongue trap points, just a combination of site circumstances and designer preference.

Regards

Thanks.  And of course I found it on here, right under my nose!!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/userpix/939_MRC_Sep1982_SB_200_50_1.jpg

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that is an issue of modernity, both versions have co-existed for decades, as have both single and double tongue trap points, just a combination of site circumstances and designer preference.

Regards

As far as the Western is concerned it's modernity as single tongue traps have given way to double tongue in most locations at time of renewal.

Perhaps it's only obvious once you know, or else I'm having a thick afternoon, but why "dutchman"?

Replacing a bit of broken or damaged wood with another piece is know as "a dutchman" and I've also heard & used the phrase "dutch in" to refer to the act of replacing a bit of wood. The etymology appears to be a bit unclear; it might even be related to the bunch of insults the English invented during the Anglo-Dutch wars!

• RMweb Gold

I like the quote in Martin's link - "This tale ... is not in fact a real myth, although many people believe it is."  Just what does that mean?

Quite simply to be a true myth it needs to be quite widely believed or at least widely held to have some truth. So if not widely held in the Netherlands it is not a myth. However the fact that many is the US believe it to be a Dutch myth makes it a US myth about it being a Dutch one.....

Don

• Like 1

Actually I looked up the definition of "myth".

According to http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/myth  a myth can be "an ancient story ..., especially explaining the early history of a ... people" as well as "a commonly believed but false idea".

I was only thinking about the 2nd definition...

Edited by DavidBird

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...