piko 186/189

NS Peak

Hello, After living in the Netherlands now for quite a few years I am finnaly honestly thinking of modelling something Dutch inspired. looking around I must admit I am tempted by the Piko 186 / 189 electrics or even the MaK diesel as the price looks good and for a guy that started with Lima locos the detail looks good. I have heard from some that Piko are basic and good for kids, but I was wondering what people's experience is?

Is there anything I need to really be aware of? Are these AC only or something? Yes I am sure the Roco and ACME models are better but they come at nearly twice the price?

Are the Piko models to good to be true? What would the advice be?

Thanks

stephen

Thanks Dutch_Master,

Without a doubt Roco and Now ACME win hands down and as you said can't be ignored when modelling the Dutch scene. With 2 small kids both under 10 it limits my budget a bit and it's something which I want to get them involved with. Those two things together was why I was considering going the PIKO route. having said that I am eyeing up a couple of Roco models that will be going on a high shelf out of reach of small hands.

I agree completely on the Dutch online sites and even some of my local model shops here take some getting used to. I have used Modelbahnshop-lippe before and the kids love the little packs of Harbo they include... I am also lucky that when I go back to the UK my home town of Ipswich has a great model shop (scograil) that has a great range of European models and currently has good postage rates to the Netherlands.

I actually live in Leidschedam and go past the depot way too often wich is also part given me the Dutch bug... also I have been living in the Netherlands for 15 years so I think I have heald out for quite some time.

I really appreciate your post.

thanks

Stephen

I've also got some Piko and am happy. I do wish my Piko loco had a more detailed roof but it was cheap enough to contemplate making it the subject of a first attempt at detailing. Piko actually has several grades of stuff but I reckon the cheapest (hobbyline) does quite nicely.

Archived