Midland Railway Company

• RMweb Gold

Hi Compound, the other exchange point could be Perth. The Caley ran a service to Balquhidder via Crieff from Perth.

The post grouping picture is from 1925 which feels early for MR/GSWR stock to be cascaded.

If that were the case I'd expect more of the carriages to pop up in photos.

I need to have a serious rummage through the various publications I have.

Thanks

Angus

I suppose the other possible route is via the G&SW with exchange to the Caley in Glasgow - I've never got my head round Glasgow railway geography but that would presumably be rather more direct than via Edinburgh.

I very much doubt that a coach from the Midland bound for Oban would be exchanged at Glasgow. To get it from St Enochs, on the south side of the city, to Buchanan St, on the north side, would be a complex maneuver involving running over NB lines and at least one reversal.

Far more likely that it would be exchanged at Carlisle or taken by the NB to Waverley, thence to Stirling and then passed to the Caledonian there.

• 3 weeks later...

post-9302-0-43341200-1536055676_thumb.jpgAll you Midland Modellers might be interesed in the structure clearances used by the company so I have attached a drawing of these.

Please note previous comments regarding the drawings and that permission must be obtained from the MIdland Railway Study Centre if used for commercial or other than personal or research use.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Was going to say that it doesn’t matter if you do everything from the centre line, but then remembered that there is some “slop”/“tolerance” in 00/EM compared to scaling from the prototype, so allow an extra millimetre each side for the extra side play.

• RMweb Premium

Was going to say that it doesn’t matter if you do everything from the centre line, but then remembered that there is some “slop”/“tolerance” in 00/EM compared to scaling from the prototype, so allow an extra millimetre each side for the extra side play.

The additional "slop" depends as much on the wheels standards used as the gauge. I'd be surprised if there is any difference between EM and P4 in this respect. The key thing to getting scale structures is to work to scale prototype double track centres wherver possible. As the drawing states: An additional allowance must be made ... in the case of sharp curves. Another point to bear in mind with these "standard" drawings, whether Midland of 1884 or British Railways of 1954, is that they represent an ideal for new work - a good deal of the Midland's principal main lines were built well before 1884 and did not meet this specification.

• RMweb Gold

It depends on which EM standards, and whose wheels, are being used.

There is more allowance/clearance in EM than there is for P4, and more side-play as a consequence.

But even P4 is not the real thing divided 76.2 in some places.

All I am saying is first, know your standards, and secondly, make allowances for sideways movement. Just saying, "I work in EM" isn't enough: some calculation needs to be undertaken, based on which EM standard and wheels are being used.

Alternatively, just allow an extra millimetre either side and be done with it.

• RMweb Premium

It depends on which EM standards, and whose wheels, are being used.

There is more allowance/clearance in EM than there is for P4, and more side-play as a consequence.

But even P4 is not the real thing divided 76.2 in some places.

All I am saying is first, know your standards, and secondly, make allowances for sideways movement. Just saying, "I work in EM" isn't enough: some calculation needs to be undertaken, based on which EM standard and wheels are being used.

Alternatively, just allow an extra millimetre either side and be done with it.

I spoke in ignorance, since I model in 00. I've never actually had a problem with platform faces 19 mm (scale 4'9") from the centre line of the adjacent track, on the straight.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Steve

Low Rydale is a might have been Midland Railway Goods yard in East Lancashire near Oldham.

Foam insulation is allegedly considered superior to cork for sound proofing and allows the track to float and flex thus allowing a better chance of maintaining wheel contact and hence traction and current pick up.

It tends to be used by the P4 fraternity, I thought I'd give it a try. 

Hope this answers the question.

Tony, 

Hello Steve

Low Rydale is a might have been Midland Railway Goods yard in East Lancashire near Oldham.

Foam insulation is allegedly considered superior to cork for sound proofing and allows the track to float and flex thus allowing a better chance of maintaining wheel contact and hence traction and current pick up.

It tends to be used by the P4 fraternity, I thought I'd give it a try. 

Hope this answers the question.

Tony,

Sounds interesting Tony, please keep us posted with how you get on. I use cork, but am always a bit dubious how much difference any of the options make once ballast is down.

Back on a Midland specific question, I know the plan for the society is to digitise as much as practical, and there are batch summaries posted in the members area of the website. Are these digital archives browseable and viewable (such as the common crossing diagram you posted here, and there are many other track and PW related diagrams in the batch summaries, but searching for the item number contained in the batch summary doesnt find anything.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment there are a few drawings that have been made available to me for publication on RM Web with a view to getting people interested in things Midland and hopefully build better models.

I shall continue to publish them and thought that track was a logical place to start being the base of any fine scale model.

Infrastructure is also important and the Midland had particular ways of doing things.

I still feel that modelers would benefit from joining the Midland Railway Society and more and more information will be made available as it becomes digitised, obviously primarily to members.

It is also important to remember that infrastructure lasted well into the Diesel period and so later period modellers can benefit.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Regards

Tony 

• Like 5

post-9302-0-31026800-1539608909_thumb.jpg

Different again but quite a well used subject,here is a drawing of a standard Midland Level Crossing Gate.

It is a single gate sized for double track and manually operated by a crossing keeper.

Checking the standard track formation drawings it appears to be sized to the edge of the formation.

To complete the model a crossing keepers hut or cottage would be required and possibly a litch gate for pedestrians in those days of non existant elf and safety!

Regards

Tony

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please Note if modellling to 12inch to the foot scale remember to drive keys in main direction of travel!!

For those of us with smaller layouts here is a drawing from MRSoc. archives available to down load by Members of an 1896 Refrigerated van to Dia.372.

As usual for commercial or publishing perposes permission must be obtained from the holders, THE  MIDLAND RAILWAY STUDY CENTRE.

Regards

Tony

Please Note if modellling to 12inch to the foot scale remember to drive keys in main direction of travel!!

That is a simplification. In areas where braking was usual, the keys would be put in from the opposite to the direction of travel. In reality, if a linesman found a missing key he would reinsert it in the chair from the side away from where the key was in the ballast.

• RMweb Premium

I've recently joined this site and over on the 'I'm a Yankee Mogul Dandy' thread I've posted copies of the drawings of the Schenectady and Baldwin moguls that I did when I wrote the American Midland Engines supplement to Midland Record about twenty years ago. For what it's worth I've also posted a few photographs of my Scaleseven Schenectady.

Dave Hunt

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 4

I've recently joined this site and over on the 'I'm a Yankee Mogul Dandy' thread I've posted copies of the drawings of the Schenectady and Baldwin moguls that I did when I wrote the American Midland Engines supplement to Midland Record about twenty years ago. For what it's worth I've also posted a few photographs of my Scaleseven Schenectady.

Dave Hunt

So David you have succumed and joined us! Great! This is my first posting so, although I have been reading other people's input for ages, never had anything to say that could be contained in a single posting until now! Thank you for you for encouraging me - your friend in west Wales.

• Like 5

Hi Rambler! How's things over Sharnbrook?

I'll be at Warley on the Saturday all being well.

Will ring shortly.

Dave

Hello David - no I'm not going to Warley this year - pity really because it means I will miss Love Lane. Instead I plan to move the lathe and other workshop bits next weekend.

The conversion of the Dapol Jinty (am I allowed to call it that?) to S7 is nearly complete. Just need some brass rod & tube for the replacement brake stretcher rods - then its final assemby (part glued). Rather than reprofile I used Slater's wheels. They are set up with little side play, but with gauge widening it should be OK for a little under 7ft radius i.e. 4.5 chains.

While awaiting the brass stuff cast an eye over the Slaters Open Cab 0-6-0T kit. As you know it represents the Class N version, but only No. 1997 was shedded down south, - Wellingborough - and then only briefly soon after building. The Class N had a different frame design from the majority of the 'Half Cabs' with the profile differing above and below the platform. I have a note (possibly it was following a conversation with David Tee) to the effect the 1903 diagram book is incorrect and the engines to O.991 were built to the same drawings as the Class Ns. Photos suggest the previous batch (O.968) also had the same frame design. I rather liked the idea of one the latter as they were fitted with low cabs and the Salter springs arranged athwartships and lived at places like St Albans. In the end, as it necessitated me guessing the cab radii I have reluctantly abandoned the idea.

Thoughts then turned (very briefly!) to whether I could build it as a Class A as a few were at Kentish Town at the right time. It would however demand a lot of new parts so decided it would be better tackled as a scratchbuild project. Interestingly Summerson suggests that none of the Class A 0-6-0Ts had new frames, but I think this is wrong. There are photos of several engines fitted with replacement frames.

So, unless you happen to know please where there is a cab drawing for the O.968 batch or alternatively the relevant dimensions, it looks like it will have to be No. 1997!

Rambler   

• 4 weeks later...