Midland Railway Company

It does, indeed. Next, I'll join the L&NWR Society, too!

Given your non de plume, I would have thought you already were a member.

Edited to add that the LNWR Society were also at the Warley show. Did you get your priorities wrong?

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

Given your non de plume, I would have thought you already were a member.

Edited to add that the LNWR Society were also at the Warley show. Did you get your priorities wrong?

Ho, ho and ho - no, no and no. I was pre-occupied with the Yankee Mogul model and needed more information. However, I shall be joining the LNWR Society when they appear at Warley next.

• Like 1

Ho, ho and ho - no, no and no. I was pre-occupied with the Yankee model and needed more information. However, I shall be joining the LNWR Society when they appear at Warley next.

Why wait? You can download a membership form from the Webbsite. The Journal, produced 4 times each year, together with the Newsletter, is an excellent publication.

• RMweb Gold

As I found, the LNWR Society (unlike the MR Society) had not brought along enough application forms.

Well, obviously the Midland is prepared to accept anybody, whereas the LNWR doesn’t accept everbody... ;)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, obviously the Midland is prepared to accept anybody, whereas the LNWR doesn’t accept everbody... ;)

If we're going to go down that road, I recall that many years ago the difference between the Midland and North Western was discussed in a review of a railway book (possibly Simmonds and Biddle's Oxford Companion?) in the Times Literary Supplement. The analysis boiled down to the Directors of the North Western being solidly Tory and Anglican, whereas the Midland Directors were Liberals and Nonconformists.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If we're going to go down that road,

Wasn’t planning to, just a humorous aside, but I am glad you did:

I recall that many years ago the difference between the Midland and North Western was discussed in a review of a railway book (possibly Simmonds and Biddle's Oxford Companion?) in the Times Literary Supplement. The analysis boiled down to the Directors of the North Western being solidly Tory and Anglican, whereas the Midland Directors were Liberals and Nonconformists.

Fascinating stuff.

Does anyone have similar insights on the directors of other companies?

• Like 1

Does anyone have similar insights on the directors of other companies?

I recall reading a quote somewhere to the effect that the North British was a very staid and dyed-in-the-wool company as it's directors were all Edinburgh lawyers and accountants, while the Caledonian was very forward thinking and go-ahead company because its directors were all Glasgow merchants and industrialists.

Jim (preparing to receive incoming flack from the east)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On the contrary - the Midland Railway Society obviously only has discriminating, intelligent people of high social standing. In stating this I am completely unbiased.

Dave Hunt

Chairman, Midland RailwaySociety

• Like 2

I recall reading a quote somewhere to the effect that the North British was a very staid and dyed-in-the-wool company as it's directors were all Edinburgh lawyers and accountants, while the Caledonian was very forward thinking and go-ahead company because its directors were all Glasgow merchants and industrialists.

Isn't that demographic still the same nowadays Jim....

Dave Franks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wasn’t there also quite a bit of LNWR money involved?

As I found, the LNWR Society (unlike the MR Society) had not brought along enough application forms.

What, you mean the LNWR society ran out and the MR society didn't?

I think that is fairly self explanatory then! ;)

• Like 2

I have since a very young age been a fan of the Midland Railway. So the below came as a shock to me.

When I was quite young (9 years or less) my mother ran an afternoon group for the local pensioners in the church hall. I used to have to go along after school and I got to know many of the pensioners quite well. One of them was a Mr Baxter who had worked on the railway at Barrow Hill and i discovered that he started work with the Midland. I was delighted to find this out and so I asked him what it was like to work for the company - I was anticipating replies which conjured up visions of halycon days spent on beautiful, highly polished crimson lake locos. His reply was "They were (RMWeb won't allow me to insert the last word but it pertains to people born out of wedlock)". Given that he was otherwise a very polite and gentle man and this was said with such feeling, it was a real shock.

Despite this feedback, I have continued to be a Midland fan. I suspect all employers were pretty strict.

Edited by John_Miles
  • Like 4

We in the 21st century tend to look at the past thru rose colored specks.

Lets face it any one involved in any engineering related industry in the late 19th early 20th centuries faced a hard dirty and dangerous existence.

Life in the cloth industries was pretty awful as well and even living conditions were dire.

Tony

• Like 1

We in the 21st century tend to look at the past thru rose colored specks.

Lets face it any one involved in any engineering related industry in the late 19th early 20th centuries faced a hard dirty and dangerous existence.

Life in the cloth industries was pretty awful as well and even living conditions were dire.

Tony

As the opening sentance in the Go-Between says:-

‘THE PAST IS A FOREIGN COUNTRY: THEY DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY there.’
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, technohand said:

There are now lists of available products on the  following web site:http://www.midlandrailway.org.uk/modelling/.

These currently cover 2mm,4mm and some 7mm scales.

Regards

Tony

Excellent information for MR modellers.

However, I would recommend that a health warning is added with reference to dealing with CooperCraft. See;

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112011-cooper-craft-cautionary-notes-for-customers-its-fate-and-thoughts-on-an-alternative/

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...

A little heads-up to Midland devotees that I have started a blog to record my modelling musings and progress updates once I do practical things like buy pieces of 9mm plywood and actually start fastening things to it :dance_mini:

• Like 5