Midland Railway Company

Dugald was born in Ardrossan, although the family moved when he was young, if he retained anything of the accent from his home area you just need to recall the NUR's Jimmy Knapp to add colour to the above.  His spell in Australia may have added to his vocabulary too.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/video/talks-england-london-acas-ext-jimmy-knapp-nur-general-news-footage/685433120

Alan

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tricky said:

Just harping back to my weighbridge colour scheme musings if I may....looking at photos of Bob Essery’s Ellerton Road, the Goods office there seems to show the door in lake and windows all in brown. No cream. Is this another possible scheme? 

Not as far as I know unless the Warley club guys found something of which I'm unaware (Ellerton Road is more Warley than Essery). I'll ring Bob and ask him though.

Dave

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tricky said:

Just harping back to my weighbridge colour scheme musings if I may....looking at photos of Bob Essery’s Ellerton Road, the Goods office there seems to show the door in lake and windows all in brown. No cream. Is this another possible scheme? 

Not as far as I know unless the Warley club guys found something of which I'm unaware (Ellerton Road is more Warley than Essery). I'll ring Bob and ask him though.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
I have no idea why this has appeared twice

• RMweb Premium

I've spoken to Bob Essery and at the moment he doesn't remember where the colour scheme for the goods office came from but he will "have a think about it." I'll get back to him in a few days' time to see what thoughts he's had.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Bill Bedford is producing a Kirtley Brake Van ( see his thread in "small suppliers"). The release is imminent. So far as I am aware it is only for those of us who work in 4mm to the foot. I stopped buying kits years ago because I realised that buying kits is the easy part, building them takes time but I am making an exception for these. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/03/2019 at 16:55, Andy Hayter said:

I rather suspect these will return to Slaters shortly and Coopercraft can be erased - from MR stock at least.

The former Slaters products  returned to Slaters over a year ago. Why CC are still listing them is a mystery. As is virtually everything connected to this firm.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

Something like this.

I built this brake out of plastikard, some years ago, using a drawing from an old Model Railway News.

The legend on the side states "Kirkby Malham Branch only"

Derek

DSC02059.JPG

DSC02060.JPG

I presume that the Kirby Malham branch ran from Bell Busk, up the valley.

Jamie

Hello Jamie,

The KM branch is purely fiction.  I used to know the area very well and always thought a railway could be built, terminating just north of the village.

I assume for this excercise that the line from Skipton, up Wharfedale, into Coverdale and down Wensleydale to join the NER near Leyburn had been built.

This line was heavily promoted and had it been built in reality, it was intended to be electrified.  Sites for electricity sub stations were ear marked.

However WW1 intervened and by the armistice, the world had changed and the idea of building the line was dropped.

The line to KM would leave the Skipton/Leyburn  line at Rylstone South Junction and run up Airedale serving some of the intervening villages en route.

If you look at my thread in Layout Topics, Midland Railway inEM Gauge, I describe the whole idea in more detail.

Thank you for your interest.

Derek

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Buhar said:

When were these Kirtley brakes scrapped? Did any make it past the grouping? 

Alan 

Alan, I have no idea when the last one was scrapped.  The drawing I used was a copy of one dated 1897, already the vans were pretty ancient by that time.

Derek

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

After a break of around 25 years I have started making some Midland chair patterns and thence moulds. I was quite pleasantly surprized by how much I had remembered and conversely comparatively how little I had forgotten of the techniques and wrinkles needed. Must be because it was for something important - unlike work for example, where I have difficulty retaining overnight what I intended to do the following day. The first of a short series of these S7 chair moulds being the 85lbs outside key 1 in 5 common crossing. This hopefully will please David Hunt of this parish because he needs some for his three-throws - as do I.  Two views of the first cast:-

1513042711_85lbs1in5CommonI.jpg.2eb30f31912f992d3c1f5ea8968498e8.jpg

1067592617_85lbs1in5CommonII.jpg.1763aea0ff710791ae58a36c5feef0b6.jpg

Yes, the keys are separate because they have to be - you can't assemble the crossing without loose keys while after assembly they are needed to hold the rails in their correct positions. The 1 in 8 diamond crossing is as advanced while the 1 in 10 common is not too far behind. Then its finish off the 85lbs 15ft sprung heel points.

Crimson Rambler

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

Two views of the seven special chairs (and 18 keys!) needed for a 1 in 8 diamond crossing. Two chairs are identical - those receiving the nose of the point rail. At least that is the term other companies called it although I'm not sure if the Midland did. From memory the drawings just refer to it as a 'rail'. The two outermost chairs on each side are left- and right-handed pairs of one another, while at the centre there was a chair to support the check and wing rails at the knuckle.

1177901165_1in8DiamondI.jpg.ed23285387abb75a63592a12bd87483a.jpg

Midland outside key 85lbs chairs can be readily identified by the central rib present in the outside jaws. If the separation between diverging rails was sufficient then a rib might also be present. This can be seen in the outermost pair of diamond chairs and the first and last chairs forming the 1 in 5 common crossing.

544328696_1in8DiamondIII.jpg.9339bf78fa33e8999067ecd61d9059b6.jpg

Finally specially for David(!) have started making some more masters to speed up SC production.

Crimson Rambler

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Holmesfeldian said:

At that price you'd think they could identify the locomotive correctly - it's not a 115 Class but a 2601 (Princess of Wales) Class 4-2-2.

3 minutes ago, Holmesfeldian said:

Spectacular! But a shame we don't actually get to see anything of the train...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think that the apparently exaggerated taper of the chimney is is something of an optical illusion due to the brickwork in the background of the small sized picture. if you enlarge it the taper looks OK.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I think that the 2601s are magnificent engines that display the ultimate development of SWJ's small boiler designs before boiler sizes forced a change of style to the Belpaires and Compounds. I also like the water cart tenders, although I know that some folk think that their size spoils the look of the ensemble. My friend the late David Jenkinson disliked them and criticised me for choosing to make a model of one rather than a 115 but Jack Braithwaite, the leading commentator on Midland locomotive aesthetics and another good friend, agreed with me that whilst the 115s were the epitome of Single elegance, the 2601s had a grandeur that earned them a place in any appreciation of the Master's work.

Mind you, I also like the H boilered 0-6-0s and have made a model of one, which in some people's eyes would probably debar me from making informed comment on locomotive aesthetics!

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that the 2601s are magnificent engines that display the ultimate development of SWJ's small boiler designs before boiler sizes forced a change of style to the Belpaires and Compounds. I also like the water cart tenders, although I know that some folk think that their size spoils the look of the ensemble. My friend the late David Jenkinson disliked them and criticised me for choosing to make a model of one rather than a 115 but Jack Braithwaite, the leading commentator on Midland locomotive aesthetics and another good friend, agreed with me that whilst the 115s were the epitome of Single elegance, the 2601s had a grandeur that earned them a place in any appreciation of the Master's work.

Mind you, I also like the H boilered 0-6-0s and have made a model of one, which in some people's eyes would probably debar me from making informed comment on locomotive aesthetics!

Dave

Dear me. To my eye, the 2601 Class were pushing the 19th century style just too far and really demonstrate the need for the Belpaires. In fact I shall commit my own heresy by stating that if you want a really good-looking big single, you can't beat Pollitt's Class 13 engines for the Great Central. They were exact contemporaries of the 2601 Class and their leading dimensions are very similar but the Belpaire firebox and generally starker outline gives them a more balanced and powerful look. Like the 2601s, they didn't last long on the London expresses but they found a useful niche working the fast Liverpool-Manchester expresses on the CLC (also a home for Midland singles):

image.png.6887353a708b5e7bc6a34ec380dfdaaf.png

The early Johnson singles with slide valves are, I think, undoubtedly the "prettiest" but the piston vale engines represent the peak of perfection (and speed). The 2601s look like one's favourite niece after a sudden growth spurt - ungainly, with nothing quite fitting any more.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Funny 1