Midland Railway Company

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

The black lines around the base will be deleted as the ground level is about 4mm above the bottom edge of the model so it will be set into the terrain.

A Pendon trick I picked up as a teenager and have often wondered at being so often forgotten - one sees too many fine models spoilt by so very obviously sitting on rather than in the ground. 

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

Although it's on an altogether smaller scale and from a layout featuring a line most definitely not in connection with the Midland, to atone for my earlier geological rudeness to its creator, I have to draw attention to this superb example of application of the Pendon foundations technique:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Although it's on an altogether smaller scale and from a layout featuring a line most definitely not in connection with the Midland, to atone for my earlier geological rudeness to its creator, I have to draw attention to this superb example of application of the Pendon foundations technique:

One benefit of this technique for removable buildings is that any slight gap only shows when you look down on a building or directly along a wall.

Jim 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Sorry I am unable to put in a professional link but if you go to Youtube and type in as a title - Early-Mid 20th Century locomotives, Trains Decade 1920's - you see initially some Great Western engines but then it goes to the Midland division of the LMS. Included in this section are some gems such as moving shots of Kirtley 0-6-0s, 0-4-4Ts and also 2-4-0s but the latter are inside framed version. 

Enjoy!

Crimson Rambler

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I was amused by the clip at about 29 min where a Kirtley and a Johnson 0-6-0 set off in stately fashion as if with 60 loaded only for it to be revealed that they're pulling a single brake van!

Lots of interesting stuff there, not just the usual suspects. St Enoch, I think, with plenty of G&SWR locomotives along with some Caledonian ones - or is that somewhere else? Also Inverness. 

From a Midland PoV, the Highbridge footage is also fascinating and at 55 min, M&GN Class C No. 44.

• Like 4

I like the shot of the backwards running 780 class 0-4-4T with the fireman perched on the cab lower side panel. It's a pose seen in photos of engines at rest but presumably secure enough for venturing out on the main line.

The M&GN No. 44 is indeed a delight - as dear Jack Braithwaite might have said - such elegance, pity though about the extended smokebox and the awful chimney!

Crimson Lake

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just taken delivery of the new Bachmann 0-4-4 Passenger Tank engine. I am not going to critisize it is too good for that. It is a lovely model and better than most people could do and is really good value for money.

It has 3mm. driving axles and shouldn't be too difficult to convert to EM or P4.

Period is 1907 renumbering with brass tank side numbers and simplified livery but easy to backdate to post Johnson date if wanted or post date to 1907 large numbers to Grouping.

Worth Buying

Tony

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

45 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I've finally finished the coaling stage on my MPD. Construction is similar to the old goods shed with a 3mm plywood shell overlaid with Slaters English bond plastikard stuck on with Evostick. The roof is 1mm MDF with self-adhesive slates supplied by Tricky, AKA Monksgate Models, and the chimney stack is a piece of balsa with brick plastikard cladding and a turned aluminium pot. The external wooden structure and panelling are basswood sections and scribed .8mm ply whilst Internally the platform is 1mm MDF to represent the floorboards with scribed plastic sheet for the steel plating and plastic bits various for the office etc. Windows, being tricky, are by Tricky and the steps are various bits of basswood and plastic - making the damn things was a real PITA and seemed to take forever. The gas lamps are Peco kits and other details are plastic. The water crane is an old Mike's Models whitemetal kit that I've had for donkey's years but the hose had disintegrated so I made a new one from a piece of plastic tube squashed to try to make it look like the real thing and covered with heavyweight model aircraft tissue doped on then painted matt black. 

P1060134.jpg.4ecbcdfac870b2309783e98350fb8a3a.jpg

P1060135.jpg.edc58f735dcf633cfcb4fbe158d4c3cd.jpg

P1060137.jpg.fb2e9be82487577c1229739310f789e0.jpg

P1060138.jpg.e6a31b9338e6b63b3c25a7e82c87ea82.jpg

The rear wall isn't really two-tone - it's actually dirty white but the overhead lighting throws a very dark shadow on it.

P1060139.jpg.b985a2c9c2e32ecf96805249f2b32ba8.jpg

P1060136.jpg.9dd525493e3fa666e4d3bcaa1fb867d9.jpg

Seldom have I been so glad to finish part of a model as I was when these steps were complete.

The groundwork surrounding the model obviously is still not complete but so far it represents my first foray into static grassing and I'm on a bit of a steep learning curve. Other undergrowth is still to be added as well. The ash ballast is dried and sieved soil mixed with some black poster paint powder and brushed in place before being fixed with dilute PVA and washing up liquid. I think it is a bit dark and will need a wash of lighter dark grey (if you see what I mean) and future mixes will have less black paint added.  

Next up is the stores and offices. So far it consists of a packet of windows and slates from Tricky. Onward and upward as they say.

Dave

Looking very good Dave. Good to see where the windows are being used. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice.

When you say “Evostik”, it’s a bit like saying “Cadbury’s” when you mean “fruit and nut”.

Do you mean the impact adhesive, the “Resin W” PVA, or some other product of theirs? Assuming it is the impact version, how do you use it without melting the styrene?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Regularity said:

When you say “Evostik”, it’s a bit like saying “Cadbury’s” when you mean “fruit and nut”.

Do you mean the impact adhesive, the “Resin W” PVA, or some other product of theirs? Assuming it is the impact version, how do you use it without melting the styrene?

Fruit and nut is good for modelling cuttings through conglomerate rock (in the larger scales) or glacial deposits (in the smaller scales) but Dairy Milk is ideal for sticking down buildings, ballast, etc.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Very nice.

Sorry, remiss of me. I use Evostick impact adhesive spread thinly over the ply, MDF, balsa whatever and after a short time - less than a minute, just enough for the adhesive to cease to be liquid but not enough for it to dry - apply the plastikard (or other styrene) and press on. The plastic is fixed firmly in place without being dissolved by the adhesive. I then go round the edges testing to see if there are any spots that haven't stuck properly and if there are I then run some solvent into the join. I've used this method for years quite successfully.

Hope this helps.

Dave 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Also needing some loco coal wagons!

Agreed! I've got some Slaters D299 kits and a couple of their Manvers Main wagon kits. What I haven't figured out yet is where to get some loco coal transfers and how to renumber one of the Manvers Main wagons as they are both pre-printed with the same number. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Dave

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Agreed! I've got some Slaters D299 kits and a couple of their Manvers Main wagon kits. What I haven't figured out yet is where to get some loco coal transfers and how to renumber one of the Manvers Main wagons as they are both pre-printed with the same number. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Dave

I think one of the HMRS sheets has Loco Coal on it and I may have some spare. I will have a look.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

52 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I think one of the HMRS sheets has Loco Coal on it and I may have some spare. I will have a look.

It's the ponderously-titled "LMS English pre-Grouping goods vehicle insignia (except LNWR)".

But this is just an excuse to show off:

1089078647_MidlandD299lococoalonlyMousa.JPG.91cf05ea7e0f70d617b8271ca6f3e05e.JPG

[4 mm/ft scale, Mousa kits]

Of course there's also the variant seen at Westhouses:

572806216_MidlandD299lococoal(Westhouses).JPG.46ecdc35a1d550cc9bf2d11ec932e0b4.JPG

[4 mm/ft scale, Slaters kits]

for which I used LOCO COAL lettering from "Scottish pre-Grouping goods vehicle insignia". Without digging out my box of transfers I can't recall if I used the North British or Great North lettering.

If you buy transfers rather than pre-printed kits from POWSides, they provide a variety of digits. So the best plan would be to buy a plain kit and a set of POWSides Manvers Main transfers, ending up with three wagons - one full, one empty, and one for luck. 

On the pre-printed wagons, has the black ironwork been done for you?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, technohand said:

Hello Dave,

I didn't realise the coal tubs were half ton capacity. Are there any drawings in existence or do I have to work out sizes using density tables etc.

Tony

I'll photograph mine which were  built from photos.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1