Midland Railway Company

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Crimson Rambler said:

but where is the chimney for the fireplace in the workmen's hut?

Indeed. Missing. 

1161907688_DY2113993Enginetakingwater.jpg.041d2fcbbc373ab13bfb5f020744f6a1.jpg

NRM DY 2113, 25 November 1909.

What's happened to all the links to the photos on the Derby Registers pages?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I've had some shed time yesterday and today.  First off I've found the sheet of transfers and there is one pair of LOCO COAL ONLY lettering.  I will cut them out and send them off towards north Hipposhire as I don't plan on doing any more loco coal wagons.

I also got chance to take some snaps of the coal tubs that my late friend Bernard Shaw made for me along with the coaling stage.  These ones were designed to be picked up by a crane and tipped but are much the same design.

PC190870_resize.JPG.3319fcd302ff276cf90f9cda5519f463.JPG

They look similar to the drawings.  He made them mainly from brass sheet and turned the various wheels and side spigots.

PC190871_resize.JPG.643ed1821c70e32d5d220b03acbe0de7.JPG

He did make 4 so there are two fulls and two empties.

PC190872_resize.JPG.d5abe520759522e41f0af69234988873.JPG

And yes they can be hung from the crane.

PC190873_resize.JPG.00939de8b7d836293bb7bfcf08ca73fc.JPG

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
On 19/12/2020 at 10:03, technohand said:

Hello Dave,

I didn't realise the coal tubs were half ton capacity. Are there any drawings in existance or do I have to work out sizes using density tables etc.

Tony

Tony, below is a sketch made by Bill Ibbott in about 1962 showing the general arrangement of one of the tubs. The leading dimensions can be scaled from the drawing Stephen linked to.

1123573753_Coaltubs.jpg.a41a01a4cc08e623021acd698638e839.jpgThe nomenclature 'half ton tubs' is one that I picked up in conversations with Bill and David Jenkinson, who had also sketched one of them from another ex-Midland MPD but I can't remember which one.

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 18/12/2020 at 22:11, Compound2632 said:

On the pre-printed wagons, has the black ironwork been done for you?

Yes, Stephen, it has. Thanks for the tip about the Powsides wagons.

And thanks to Jamie for the offer of some loco coal transfers. Let's hope that HMRC don't decide that they will attract large amounts of import tax!

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, technohand said:

Thanks to all for the drawings of the coal tub and stage.

My stage will be based on Lincoln so the details of the hoist are really useful.

Happy Christmas to all and I wish you all a Better New Year.

Tony

If you want some more photos of the hoist, I dan take some for you. Indo have some prototype ones of Lancaster which show the hoist if you are interested.

Jamie

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

A bit more added to the layout, this time the stores and office building. Construction is again a 3mm ply shell with overlays of Slaters English bond brick plastikard with the arches over the windows scribed onto plastikard using an Olfa scriber. Roof panels are 1mm MDF, roofing slate strips and windows by Monksgate Models AKA Tricky (except the skylight over the tall front door which is by me), chimney stacks embossed plastikard built round balsa cores and chimneys cast from moulds using a master that I turned. Gas lamps are modified Peco. Other  items are cobbled together using various bits of plastic from Greenscene and whatever else came to hand. Painting is matt Precision concrete rubbed into the brick courses, individual bricks and discoloured areas done using a mixture of coloured pencils and dry brushing and the whole lot sprayed with Testors Dullcote. Once completely dry, washes of dirty turpentine and weathering powders were applied before a final spray with Dullcote.  Doors are sprayed with rattle can Rover Damask Red then dirtied as before.

P1060181.JPG.6a1dfcd230b4995d61ebc2d11a7b2251.JPG

P1060182.JPG.8b56d45d39e1bd0ce26c6d60cbb43b1a.JPG

P1060188.JPG.56866820756cc489e6baf768150adb0e.JPG

Next up is the water tower and tank.

Dave

Looking good Dave. Where did the bracket lamps come from?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, technohand said:

Here's some pictures of a 2P 4-4-0 at the Grouping altered from a London Road Models 1806 Kit.

Finish is well worn Midland simple passenger livery as expected post WW1 secondary locomotives.

Not every ones cup of tea but I like it! 

Tony 

100_0680.JPG

100_0681.JPG

100_0682.JPG

100_0683.JPG

I really like that "faded grandeur" look.

• Agree 2

Just got to make the B***** thing work now. I can't stop it slipping Not enough weight on the first set of drivers, wrong tension springing. Back to the drawing board oh and fit the buffers!!

Thanks for the comments though

Regards

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony.

The way I did my 2-4-0s and 4-4-0 ratio locos was to fit the motor in the tender run a driveshaft across the footplate with a UJ above the pivot point of the drawbar, through the firebox door to a gearbox on the rear axle and fill the loco with lead. The driveshaft and UJ were mostly hidden by the crew. All three would pull 8 clestories nicely which isn't bad when you consider that they were all plastic the only metal were the chassis and the weight, all were beam compensated. I used mashima motors and exactoscale gearboxes and driveshafts. The pivot point on the beam was slightly off center towards the front driving axle and the tender was hung on the back of the loco with the front two axles free in the horn blocks so that they carried no weight.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Got it sorted, the tender connection was catching on the loco screw lifting the back wheels and the front driver had insufficient down force from the springs so I fitted a sort of torsion bar to act as a springy beam compensation. I replaced the tender connection with a hook and bar. Just got to touch up all the paintwork again.

I like the idea of a tender drive Lez and if I do another one, probably a 2-4-0 I will do that. Altering now will mean a complete rebuild and I don't have the patience!

Regards to all

Tony

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Taking on a 42ft Turntable at present. Glad I've got a 75 watt soldering iron. There's a lot of heat sink in the parts.

Some of the suggestions in the instructions are a bit round the wrong way but it's not a bad kit.

Got to do some lathe work on the wheel system so that I can power the rails from the rail(s) that the wheels run on. Will report progress on mods for interested parties.

Tony

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, technohand said:

Some of the suggestions in the instructions are a bit round the wrong way but it's not a bad kit.

Thinking about things being the wrong way round, is there a preferred direction of rotation? I recall a comment made on the turntable on an exhibition layout of Bath Queen Square (or possibly Green Park for the period modelled). An old engineman commented very favourably on the modelling except that the turntable rotated the wrong way. (Don't ask me which way was which!) But maybe a hand-cranked turntable was happy in either direction.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Thinking about things being the wrong way round, is there a preferred direction of rotation? I recall a comment made on the turntable on an exhibition layout of Bath Queen Square (or possibly Green Park for the period modelled). An old engineman commented very favourably on the modelling except that the turntable rotated the wrong way. (Don't ask me which way was which!) But maybe a hand-cranked turntable was happy in either direction.

This might sound daft, but on a windy day, a turntable once loaded has the potential to weathercock, so it may be easier to start turning in in one direction than the other.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Think of it this way, if you are pushing a turntable manually, and you slip or stumble, you don't want to get an overhanging loco buffer clouting you in the back of the head - the loco will keep turning, a bit. Logic suggests that you will position yourself "outside" the loco on the table, so if the handles are one the lefthand side of the table (looking out from the centre) then one would presumably push the table in a clockwise direction if doing a 180 degree turn - using the table to get to another road might be based on it being easier to turn a loco through 15 degrees rather than 345 degrees!

That said, there might be mechanical issues: the former NSR table at Macclesfield had arrows painted on the walls indicating which way to push it, at least in later days. (LMS Engine Sheds Volume 4.)

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

This might sound daft, but on a windy day, a turntable once loaded has the potential to weathercock, so it may be easier to start turning in in one direction than the other.

Ah, but when you get half way round (or a quarter turn), the opposite applies and you have to stop and return... Möbius loops are such fun! :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And of course there was the famous occurrence at Hawes Junction when the Helm wind caused the turntable with a locomotive on it to rotate out of control until the crew managed to stop it by shovelling clinker onto the rail, which is why the stockade of old sleepers was erected round it.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Agree 3