Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Promoting our hobby in public

sammyboy

I do think this thread is in danger of digressing from the original topic, into an unwinnable disagreement, for although I have much admiration, and respect for LNWRmodeller, I find that I tend to agree more with Nile. So let's get back to the main topic eh ??

You have a point, though I think it is relevant to the main topic of promoting model railways whether one advertises the full breadth of it from rtr to complete scratch-building, or suggests only one end of that range by using terms like 'toy trains'. Surely the former is more likely to attract a variety of people.

Sorry, but I can't help one more comment.

This 'making compared to buying' discussion crops up regularly (though most people surely do some of each), and I can't help noticing that, while those who emphasise the making side feel the need to say things like "It is simply different, not better or worse, to what others may choose to do" or "everyone should do and speak as they like"  the other tendency start using words like 'elitism', 'pretentious' and 'nasty'.

As music has cropped up, let me say I play the lute, very badly (due to lack of practice and lack of talent), I have no problem admitting that many many players are better than me.  

I am quite happy to say that the extreme example Nile gave "a model railway layout layout that might well be billiard table flat, have never seen a grain of ballast placed between two sleepers. Be entirely populated with ready to plonk structures and a collection locomotives and rolling stock that look a Bl'eedin kaleidoscope going round like a whirling dervish" 

is not doing anything I find very interesting, or any real modelling (according to dictionary definitions - and as Tony Wright himself said - "people are still making things for themselves. These are true modellers in my view, not reliant entirely on RTR or RTP"), but that doesn't mean the RTP chap is some sort of inferior being, or should be blamed for or prevented from doing what he likes. (Though that extreme I would call a train set rather than a model railway as it would hardly resemble any real railway. Would you call something that doesn't look at all like a car a 'model car'?)

I just hope that if we want to promote this hobby it is made clear that that is not all it has to offer.

You have a point, though I think it is relevant to the main topic of promoting model railways whether one advertises the full breadth of it from rtr to complete scratch-building, or suggests only one end of that range by using terms like 'toy trains'. Surely the former is more likely to attract a variety of people.

Maybe this whole discussion/arguement is due to a misunderstanding  as it seems that all parties at totally opposite ends of the spectrum seem to agree that Poggy1165 is absolutely correct and seek to associate with his views.

No-one least of all me has suggested that we promote 'toy trains' as the be all and end all of the hobby. My point was more a case that we should 'chill' and not get wound up if some outsiders see us as 'playing with toy trains'.

What I was trying to get across was that by rising to the bait and arguing that 'My model of  xxxx as it was on March 31st 1912 is historically accurate and built all from scratch and in no way is a toy train.' only shows us as over-sensitive, humourless OCD nerds. If someone suggests that my model of xxxx is just toy trains then I suggest the best reply is 'whatever' or even 'you're right' rather than get wound up and trying to justify myself - best to let my layout do the talking for me.

Maybe this whole discussion/arguement is due to a misunderstanding  as it seems that all parties at totally opposite ends of the spectrum seem to agree that Poggy1165 is absolutely correct and seek to associate with his views.

No-one least of all me has suggested that we promote 'toy trains' as the be all and end all of the hobby. My point was more a case that we should 'chill' and not get wound up if some outsiders see us as 'playing with toy trains'.

What I was trying to get across was that by rising to the bait and arguing that 'My model of  xxxx as it was on March 31st 1912 is historically accurate and built all from scratch and in no way is a toy train.' only shows us as over-sensitive, humourless OCD nerds. If someone suggests that my model of xxxx is just toy trains then I suggest the best reply is 'whatever' or even 'you're right' rather than get wound up and trying to justify myself - best to let my layout do the talking for me.

Oh yes, indeed. No point worrying about what people say, I was just suggesting that using the term 'toy trains' ourselves encourages that attitude in outsiders, isn't accurate and conceals from people the variety of the hobby that Poggy so rightly emphasised.

The important thing with this hobby is it is supposed to be something we enjoy in our spare time.

What we enjoy about the hobby is as diverse as we are.

The problem is the rest of society sees it as playing with toys, or do they?

A lot of people I know do take the mick but also respect my choice of hobby and I have a sneaky feeling that they don't find it any more strange or wierd than any other past time.  Where I work we have fishermen, plane enthusiasts, car nuts, football fanatics, bird watchers, musicians, archerers, bus enthusiasts,  bee keepers and photographers to name a few .

I have had several colleagues at work ( usually  micky takers) ask for advice on  setting up train sets for their kids (so they say) and whilst it may not be "railway modelling" per se, who knows it may start another modeller off on their way (we all got to start somewhere.)

In terms of promotion, the exhibition is the most obvious shop window we have.

Again people I know who have never been before are a little surprised at what they find at such an event.  Phrases such as "oh I expected to find a bunch of old men with  bit of track on a table with a train whizzing round" show the sort of image we have which is probably one re-inforced by the wider media stereotype.

How do we change this stereotype?

In a lot of cases I dont' think we can. Most hobbies will have some form of stereotype attached to it and to try and change these is I think a loosing battle. After all the driving forces of the sterotype (various media and a longstanding societal conceptions) are too big to fight.

What we can do is go out to events other than model railway shows and proudly present our hobby in all its glory to a much wider audience.  After all the audience at  an exhibition is, I would say, around 80% sold on the hobby.  At the local village / church fete perhaps not so much.

Yes, there may be logistical problems with being in the middle of a field or church yard  with a layout  but if we can, why not. After all we are already stereotyped so what's the worst anyone can say.

Andy

Change the stereotype? Not easily I agree, and only, I suppose, by presenting the best possible modelling to the public over time.

I can't resist combining these two things -

As I quoted above from Tony Wright (in a Wright Writes post) - "people are still making things for themselves. These are true modellers in my view, not reliant entirely on RTR or RTP"

ie true modellers are not entirely reliant on RTR/RTP

and as Teamyakimna said above - "If it's good enough for Tony Wright then it should be good enough for most of us. Well said Tony!" "I rest my case!"

So do I - sorry, but I couldn't resist the combination.

I can't resist combining these two things -

As I quoted above from Tony Wright (in a Wright Writes post) - "people are still making things for themselves. These are true modellers in my view, not reliant entirely on RTR or RTP"

ie true modellers are not entirely reliant on RTR/RTP

and as Teamyakima said above - "If it's good enough for Tony Wright then it should be good enough for most of us. Well said Tony!" "I rest my case!"

So do I - sorry, but I couldn't resist the combination.

John  ... just when we seemed to have a consensus you appear to want to somehow link what I said on one statement by Tony Wright to some completely different quote.

If what he says has validity (and I would dispute it) then I am not a real modeller as the 40 odd locos, 60 odd coaches and 200 odd bogie freight cars I have in HO are RTR - but I don't call myself a real modeller I call myself a layout builder which is something slightly different and the public will decide if my layout is any good when I exhibit it in 2016.

But back to the OP .... if we want to reach out beyond our own boundaries then the only organisations I see doing that are the much maligned local model railway clubs. It is they that are our shop window to the general public. Hopefully they will continue to display a wide range of themes, eras and skills so that potential recruits can judge for themselves where they might fit in the scheme of things.

• RMweb Gold

The sooner we can steer people away from the misconception of us being the great unwashed, spotty, bespectacled nerds, with appalling dentistry, the better.

One way is to ban smelly unwashed people from the exhibitions. (that is a serious comment)

Regarding the OP of promoting the hobby. If you want to promote toy trains, then do whatever it is that toy shops do to promote toy trains and all the other toys. To promote model railways see the "on topic" posts above.

• RMweb Premium

I work part time driving buses and coaches. A peaked cap is vital this time of year when the sun is low. I usually wear a black baseball type cap with 55022 and a picture of the 'Royal Scots Grey' nameplate on it. It is suprising how many people know and comment that it is a deltic. As a result I've had lots of interesting conversations with passengers.

What is it about model railways that results it being perceived differently by others. Do military modellers, war-gamers, radio controllers, slot car racers get the same treatment . There was a piece on one of the local tea time news programs about a radio control model exhibition, and you could not stop one of the presenters from having a go. In that TV series James May did a couple of years ago, the model railway program not only failed but was very weak, where as the other programs were superb.

I have been exhibiting my models for over 20 years. At first it was just a local show, but I always created something different each year. Even when I exhibit current layouts I try to make some change or addition. My main interests are narrow gauge, but I do model anything that takes my fancy. I think I manage to entertain visitors to exhibitions, but do see quite a few who are only interesting in more mainstream railways. I also see a lot of what some perceive as stereotypical railway enthusiasts. There is nothing wrong in that, the hobby covers a very wide range. Unfortunately I also come across quite a few people who can not see beyond their own specific interests.

One suggestion for some of the bigger exhibitions is to put on a broader range of layouts, preferably examples of all scales and gauges, British and rest of the world. Many(if not most) of the visitors would probably enjoy seeing how varied the hobby is. To make this easier, there needs to be some form of central database of layouts for exhibition. One of my layouts is listed on one well used model railway website and I have had invites as a result. For other exhibitions I have had to send out details or taken leaflets to show exhibition managers . I now do know quite a few people in the hobby, and quite a few know me. As I am still building a lot of small layouts I can always offer something new.

A lot has been said in a very short time but the discussion is basically the age old toy versus model train.  This surfaced in the post war years with the demise of Hornby O and Dublo and was hastened by the ever increasing number of OO modellers and the vast array of locos, rolling stock, etc,  turned out from an increasing number of manufacturers.  Toy trains were almost dead and were available for a pittance if anybody wanted them.  By then, the us -v- them argument had more or less disappeared.

It surfaced again about forty years ago when the boys who had toy trains when young were beginning to retire and wanted something to do.  They looked to their youth and bought all those toy trains that no one wanted and were dirt cheap at the time.  Fast forward, those same trains are certainly not cheap any more and are very desirable indicated by the price they now command but  the old discussion has rekindled with the same reasons.  There are not that many tinplate enthusiasts herein but we've heard it all before!

Brian.

John  ... just when we seemed to have a consensus you appear to want to somehow link what I said on one statement by Tony Wright to some completely different quote.

If what he says has validity (and I would dispute it) then I am not a real modeller as the 40 odd locos, 60 odd coaches and 200 odd bogie freight cars I have in HO are RTR - but I don't call myself a real modeller I call myself a layout builder which is something slightly different and the public will decide if my layout is any good when I exhibit it in 2016.

But back to the OP .... if we want to reach out beyond our own boundaries then the only organisations I see doing that are the much maligned local model railway clubs. It is they that are our shop window to the general public. Hopefully they will continue to display a wide range of themes, eras and skills so that potential recruits can judge for themselves where they might fit in the scheme of things.

I wasn't wholly serious, and we do have fair amount of consensus, I wholly agree with you about displaying a wide range to show the scope of the hobby.

Regarding the validity of what Tony says, I thought you implied before that his use of a modelling term ('train set' then) meant it 'should be good enough for most of us'.

Still I'd agree, it is necessary to show all aspects of the hobby, from basic train set to most finescale model railway, so that potential recruits can see that everyone can find or develop their own approach, which is why I had reservations about using the 'toy trains' phrase for the whole hobby as it really only describes a small part of it (the part that most contributes to that unfortunate stereotype), which is where we came in.

...The sooner we can steer people away from the misconception of us being the great unwashed, spotty, bespectacled nerds, with appalling dentistry, the better.

One way is to ban smelly unwashed people from the exhibitions. (that is a serious comment)

You'd have a job trying to ban them.

At a recent exhibition I went to, I had to double check that I wasn't in the queue for a Salvation Army Soup Kitchen, rather than in the queue for a model train show.

What we can do is go out to events other than model railway shows and proudly present our hobby in all its glory to a much wider audience.  After all the audience at  an exhibition is, I would say, around 80% sold on the hobby.  At the local village / church fete perhaps not so much.

Totally agree . My club has put on a mini exhibition/event in our local library, we have also supported events at our local steam museum and a very large agricultural show on the borders of our area plus the odd school/church fete. It has been to promote our club but also the hobby as a whole.

Again people I know who have never been before are a little surprised at what they find at such an event.  Phrases such as "oh I expected to find a bunch of old men with  bit of track on a table with a train whizzing round" show the sort of image we have which is probably one re-inforced by the wider media stereotype.

Andy

Agreed, if the stereotype is of unwashed, inadequate nerds still playing with childhood toys, you can at least show in public that that's not the case.

As you say people can be surprised at what they find at an exhibition, if you do present the hobby 'in all its glory' - ie its variety. It probably is useful, as many say, to make it seem accessible by showing the rtr continuous run. That will attract some people, others though will be more attracted by other aspects (some newcomers go straight to kit-building etc), so try and get the P4 branch terminus, the narrow gauge or broad gauge, the scratch-built S-gauge, whatever you can find, as well. Maybe show some part-built models to give some idea of how it's done. As Poggy said, and many agreed, show the wide variety of the hobby, to attract a variety of people, and show the stereotype is not the truth.

No doubt though it's harder to do this at the sort of small local event you mention, as compared with a full-scale exhibition.

Let's face it, guys.  It's generally in someone's DNA or not.  It just needs awakening for that person to roll up their sleeves and get involved.

No amount of exposure to soccer, comics, crafts, angling, morris-dancing, bungee-jumping or stamp-collecting would ever entice me out of the zone.  The majority of people put railways in that category.

If someone has an inkling that they could be interested, they will find a means to engage when it suits them.  We need, if we think it matters, to just try and keep the points of access fairly level-headed and not nerdy, cliquey, in-fighting, and divisive.  

It's possibly worth this debate, but for the casual observer, if it was their first exposure to the pastime they would maybe retire to the comparative safety of the media stereotypes.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, if the stereotype is of unwashed, inadequate nerds still playing with childhood toys, you can at least show in public that that's not the case.

As you say people can be surprised at what they find at an exhibition, if you do present the hobby 'in all its glory' - ie its variety. It probably is useful, as many say, to make it seem accessible by showing the rtr continuous run. That will attract some people, others though will be more attracted by other aspects (some newcomers go straight to kit-building etc), so try and get the P4 branch terminus, the narrow gauge or broad gauge, the scratch-built S-gauge, whatever you can find, as well. Maybe show some part-built models to give some idea of how it's done. As Poggy said, and many agreed, show the wide variety of the hobby, to attract a variety of people, and show the stereotype is not the truth.

No doubt though it's harder to do this at the sort of small local event you mention, as compared with a full-scale exhibition.

And there lies a bit of a problem.  Let me start off by saying that these comments are based on my UK experience from 20 years ago and may not be current (but I think they are because I see the same thing on the continent).

A local show will generally be cheaper to enter than a national show.  It will attract general visitors from the local catchment area and modellers from perhaps further afield.  It is probably impossible to make an accurate estimate of modellers versus Joe Public, but I would guess that even at the best examples of showing the hobby to the General Public, Modellers will still outnumber the GP

The big national shows are more expensive to organise and have higher entrance prices to match.  They may attract members of the general public (but given the higher entrance price may well not do so) but the vast majority of visitors are already modellers.  Put another way I cannot see a member of Joe public travelling from Exeter to the NEC for the Warley exhibition - let alone Ally Pally or Donny.

Or maybe not. I visited the Newbury one way show yesterday afternoon. It's off my usual beaten track but I happened to be in the area. Layouts included Pempoul, Earls Court and Wantage all very well worth seeing again and I honestly don't believe that anyone appreciating the modelling that's gone into them- Pempoul in particular- could think of them as "playing with toy trains". One or two other layouts there maybe could be seen that way. 

Sometimes the stereotype is the truth but more often it isn't  (and far more rarely among the actual exhibitors) but in any case our hobby seems rather unusual in the importance attached to reaching an audience beyond the hobby's own adherents at public exhibitions. I could be wrong but I don't think you get that with dog shows, classic car events, or war gamers.  I suppose amateur perfomance arts also have that characteristic but, from my own experience of  amateur drama, most of the audiences seem to consist of friends and families of the performers  plus whatever local following a group has managed to build.

Maybe that similarity does have something to do with the fact that the trains on a model railway in a sense perform on the stage created by the model as a whole but the layout is usually far more than just a scenic backround for the trains.

Or maybe not. I visited the Newbury one way show yesterday afternoon. It's off my usual beaten track but I happened to be in the area. Layouts included Pempoul, Earls Court and Wantage all very well worth seeing again and I honestly don't believe that anyone appreciating the modelling that's gone into them- Pempoul in particular- could think of them as "playing with toy trains". One or two other layouts there maybe could be seen that way. 

Sometimes the stereotype is the truth but more often it isn't  (and far more rarely among the actual exhibitors) but in any case our hobby seems rather unusual in the importance attached to reaching an audience beyond the hobby's own adherents at public exhibitions. I could be wrong but I don't think you get that with dog shows, classic car events, or war gamers.  I suppose amateur perfomance arts also have that characteristic but, from my own experience of  amateur drama, most of the audiences seem to consist of friends and families of the performers  plus whatever local following a group has managed to build.

Maybe that similarity does have something to do with the fact that the trains on a model railway in a sense perform on the stage created by the model as a whole but the layout is usually far more than just a scenic backround for the trains.

If more local shows offered exhibits like that maybe opinion would shift a bit.

You have a point in your second paragraph too, other hobbies maybe don't worry so much about promotion to the outside world perhaps. Maybe if someone has an interest they'll get involved anyway, finding their way into the hobby.

What is it about model railways that results it being perceived differently by others. Do military modellers, war-gamers, radio controllers, slot car racers get the same treatment .

I suspect that modellers of these items do suffer the same sort of issues. Perhaps not as in such a high profile way as the railway modeller though. Anything to do with trains is after all the biggest target for ridicule and probably will be for some time to come. The trainspotter stereotype is the source (and let's face it writing down train numbers is a pretty strange thing to do) It all probably started because the trainspotter is so visible to the commuting masses and so became the butt of many an office joke. The mud has just stuck.

Radio control probably has more appeal to the masses as by its nature its is less constrained than other forms of modelling.

At the end any form of collecting type hobby (and let's face it we all collect model trains to a lesser or greater extent) will be seen as un-cool by some. We just have to live with it.  The funny thing is all hobbies ( and I'd say with few exceptions)  are about collecting or numbers

This is not to say that we shouldn't attempt to raise the profile of the hobby though.

Andy

I suspect that modellers of these items do suffer the same sort of issues. Perhaps not as in such a high profile way as the railway modeller though. Anything to do with trains is after all the biggest target for ridicule and probably will be for some time to come. The trainspotter stereotype is the source (and let's face it writing down train numbers is a pretty strange thing to do) It all probably started because the trainspotter is so visible to the commuting masses and so became the butt of many an office joke. The mud has just stuck.

At the end any form of collecting type hobby (and let's face it we all collect model trains to a lesser or greater extent) will be seen as un-cool by some. We just have to live with it.  The funny thing is all hobbies ( and I'd say with few exceptions)  are about collecting or numbers

I think it's the modern trainspotter image that does it, though.  Bear in mind it wasn't considered in the least uncool in the forties and fifties, interestingly when the job of mastering and controlling a fire-breathing hundred ton steam locomotive was a tough, physically fit, arduous man's job.

I don't think all hobbies are about collecting or numbers.  Creative/ craft type hobbies aren't, and nor are competitive ones, unless you consider the results/ standings to be a facet of the number fascination.  How do crosswords, jigsaws, knitting, kite-flying, stock car racing, whippets, live music, pigeons, wood-turning, allotments fit in.  Some of these hobbies may have a 'completer-finisher' aspect to them, I can see the jigsaw and crossword angle aligning to the numeric list logic.

The pursuit of collecting and underlining, sorting numbers for their own sake is a real OCD, and although it's maybe not PC to mock those afflicted with it, it seems that where the manifestation of Aspergic tendencies is trainspotting, it's still regarded as open season.

On a bus forum with which I'm familiar, some contributors (mainly teenage males) wear their Aspergers as a badge of honour (in their signatures), which is to me pretty mindblowing.

On a bus forum with which I'm familiar, some contributors (mainly teenage males) wear their Aspergers as a badge of honour (in their signatures), which is to me pretty mindblowing.

Funny you should say that, many years ago, when I started taking a trade stand to model railway shows, I got talking to the trader next to me, during the conversation I commented on how railways had got such a 'nutter' element to it, he replied with ' you haven't come into contact with the bus crowd yet then ??'

Funny you should say that, many years ago, when I started taking a trade stand to model railway shows, I got talking to the trader next to me, during the conversation I commented on how railways had got such a 'nutter' element to it, he replied with ' you haven't come into contact with the bus crowd yet then ??'

These guys have to see certain sets of vehicles or individual buses every day or week, and actively enquire where they are in order to do so.  In their signatures are terms like 'Fellow Aspie,' 'Aspergers and Proud,' 'AS' and so on.  I guess they just shrug and get on with it.  I don't see it being a good recruiting sergeant though!

IMO A waste of time and last year Marlow Msidenhead Diistruct MRC were invited to have a stand at a craft fair in Maidenhead Nicolsons Walk Sopping Centre on a Saturday when very few people showed any interest so much so we packed up early and left.

The usual comment I get is along the lines of "Thomas Tank for adults" or "I just don't get it, grown men playing with trains"

We have lost the battle with the public apart from model railway exhibitions which tends to have a good family following as the younger children still like trains until they grow a little older!

Enjoy our hobby and forget about the sad people who get more fun out of mocking us rather than looking at what we have achieved!

Radio control probably has more appeal to the masses as by its nature its is less constrained than other forms of modelling.

This is not to say that we shouldn't attempt to raise the profile of the hobby though.

Andy

I suspect that the negative perception may be due to the fact that the only direct connection that people who don't share it can make with railway and model railway enthusiasm are the child's train set and the trainspotter so they assume that it's all just an extension of those and both seem rather naff for a grown-up. Clockmaking, astronomy, or bird watching also include a proportion of people you wouldn't want to sit next to on the bus but there's no similarly negative direct hook. I can though remember a few years ago being highly amused by the radio amateurs' desperate effots to disassociate  themselves in public perception from CB fans. 

I can honestly say that I've never written down a loco number in my life yet I spent an awful lot of hours during my early teenage years looking at, listening to, smelling, sometimes photographing but mostly just experiencing steam locos from the ends of platforms, various favourite lineside locations, in loco sheds or, when I could afford it, travelling behind them. Maybe I'm the odd one because most of my contemporaries who were into railways were collecting loco numbers and memorising obscure facts about tender capacities or the diameters of boiler tubes; for me, knowing that they would soon be lost for ever,  it was also about collecting as many memories as possible while I still could. There was one train that ran quite near to where I lived that I used to try and see whenever possible. It was almost always the same pannier tank with the same knocking and rattling so it would have been useless to a spotter but I thought it was brilliant.  

I'm not sure that almost all hobbies are about collecting or numbers though people who enjoy that will probably find an outlet in almost any hobby. I do come across people - now plane spotters mostly but I think it was also true of some of my schoolfriends - who seem far more interested in the number or registration than the thing that carries it. I hope that more number collectors are interested in both but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure why interest in railways is so strongly associated with spotting but it does seem to be a particularly British phenomenon and my impression is that in most countries model railways are seen as just another hobby no more or less strange than astronomy, vehicle restoration or quilting.  Railway enthusiasm in general does though seem to be generally stronger here than in most countries, the sheer number and success of preserved lines is a good indicator of that. 

Archived