Getting started in Pre-Grouping

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Firstly a bit of background about my existing railway projects (Skip for pre-grouping stuff)

I model in OO and I currently have 2 "main" layout projects and a 3rd in the early planning stages. My first layout is a roundy-roundy built very much like a "train-set" rather than a layout and set in the middle of fiction land running anything that looks pretty the second in Hailsham c.1962 station currently in a late planning stage which will be built to RMWeb modular standards. The third is an engine shed which will also be built to RMWeb modular standards. The last 2 have threads in the SECAG modular setion on the forum. All these projects have stock already  However I have temporarily taken in some lodgers bringing my layout work to an end as they are staying in my train room.

The pre grouping bit

On top of these projects I have quite an interest in the LBSCR and want to make a layout for that at some point in the future. The main point of my interest is from 1880 until the end of Improved Engine Green c.1905 (from what I gather). I have brought myself Bradshaw's Guide to Surrey & Sussex Railways and Locomotives of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway 1839 - 1903 for research. Due to current circumstances I can only work on loco's and stock so I want to start on this project by making some locos however this is something I have not really done before, I have Modified some R-T-R in the past which has been posted on other forums but never RMWeb (yet). What I really want to know is what other books people think I should buy to help with this research or websites to look at. If anyone close to the wonderful place I call home (Hailsham) that has a pre-grouping layout they wouldn't mind me looking at that would be really helpful (have car, will travel)

and to anyone that read the whole post I thank you.

Gary

Hello Gary

I am doing the same period of the LBSCR as you intend.

I suggest your first step is to join the Brighton Circle.

What they don't know about the LBSCR probably isn't worth knowing and they also have their own forum

Michael dJS

Gary

First of all, the website that you have found is the correct one for the Brighton Circle. Also, have a look at the LB&SCR Modellers' Digest which includes membership details for the Brighton Circle. I agree with Mike dJS that membership is an essential starting point for information on the period of the LB&SCR that you are interested in.

There is lots of good reading. If you are looking for the area around Hailsham, there is a Wild Swan book on the Cuckoo Line by Alan Elliott. There is also a volume in the Middleton Press series - Branch Lines to Tunbridge Wells. For wagons, try Southern Wagons Vol 2, which covers Brighton stock that came into Southern Railway hands. For carriages, try the new book, hot off the press, Carriages of the LB&SCR.

I hope that this helps as a starter for 10.

Best wishes

Eric

• RMweb Gold

Hi Eric,

I have the A.C.Elliot Book, I am using it for research into my 1960's layout of Hailsham. I will look up the other books at my usual bookshops.

Also having read your "tale of a terrier" and "more of the tale of a terrier" threads I just wanted to say that your modelling is very inspirational.

Gary

Archived