Bachmann 2015/16 Speculation ... or Divination 101 as it is known on the Hogwarts Express

Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if Luke means the Class 77, which I do recall seeing at Waterloo in NS livery one Network Day (I think I might have a photo of it somewhere).  Like you say the 71 had shoes and did run in preservation on the mainline on it's own so wasn't in need of a jump start by a 73.

On half the voltage?????  EM2/77 - 1,500 volts DC, Southern 3rd rail 750.....

On half the voltage?????  EM2/77 - 1,500 volts DC, Southern 3rd rail 750.....

It would just run at half speed I would imagine.

I don't know, I was responding to the post above as to why would the NRM's Class 71 need a Class 73 to feed it juice when it has worked on the mainline without the need for assistance (Post 303 refers).

• RMweb Premium

post-22522-0-46307200-1424766160_thumb.jpg

I doubt any preserved line will ever have a 3rd rail or OHLE due to the cost and safety considerations

I cannot comment on the UK situation with regard to electrics and H&S but the Ferrymead Railway in Christchurch New Zealand has about 1.4 km of operational overhead at 1500V DC.

I think but stand to be corrected that we are the only heritage railway with operational steam, diesel and electric traction.   On this section of line the Canterbury Railway Society operate some fairly historic English Electric built locomotives including this 1928 built Bo Bo Ec.7. (Enlish Electric # 723).   It is rather ironic that Kiwirail (todays NZ Railways) no longer has any electrified section at all in the South Island of the Country although the main city Auckland has recently been electrified at 25kV AC

• RMweb Premium

I agree with the J27 and Standard 3. The Q6 is already planned with DJM so I think they should leave that one alone. I would prefer the A5 or A8 as a tank locomotive or N10.

I'm a LMS/GWR 1930s period modeller but I'd buy an A5, as I think they are very attractive locos (as were most Robinson designed locos).  Certainly more interesting than another Standard

class.

• RMweb Premium

On Great Central Railways Bachmann have already given us the O4 2-8-0 heavy freight, D11 4-4-0, and the J11 0-6-0 general purpose locomotive. If they want to add another GCR loco to their stable, the A5 would be the obvious choice. They got around too, to places like Richmond in Yorkshire. I can't see an RTR manufacturer doing any further GCR locomotives after that.

John

I cannot comment on the UK situation with regard to electrics and H&S but the Ferrymead Railway in Christchurch New Zealand has about 1.4 km of operational overhead at 1500V DC.

I think but stand to be corrected that we are the only heritage railway with operational steam, diesel and electric traction.   On this section of line the Canterbury Railway Society operate some fairly historic English Electric built locomotives including this 1928 built Bo Bo Ec.7. (Enlish Electric # 723).   It is rather ironic that Kiwirail (todays NZ Railways) no longer has any electrified section at all in the South Island of the Country although the main city Auckland has recently been electrified at 25kV AC

pity our old dalby test track cant be handed over for preserved use,,,,,,

The Orange Empire Railway Museum (www.oerm.org) here in California also runs steam, diesel and overhead electric. The electric vehicles are streetcars and interurbans, the diesel and steam are main line stock.

There are UK examples of overhead wires on preserved tramways: Wirral / Crich / Beamish etc. so one could argue a precedent is there for GB. I'd love to see some of the old electrics running again, especially older ones that I doubt would ever make it back on the mainline. Could do with a switchable dual voltage section with 3rd rail too - pure fantasy but would be great!

Back on topic :-

This year I would love to see and think there is a chance of the following from our Barwell friends:

SECR Dancehall Brake

Caledonian Jumbo (Pre-grouping loco in nice liveries do so well nowadays)

Caledonian 6-wheel Brake

Original BR Blue Class 47 (Domino Headcode) would go like hot cakes

BR Mk1s not already made

BR Blue Class 46 with nose seam (46037 please to complete the set [since the addition of the nose seam] of different last out there domino headcode peaks along with 45036 + 45053)

A nice 1st gen DMU - something different from before 104 / 120 / 123 / 124!

BR Mk3a Loco hauled stock

GWR Coaches that everyone seams to be crying out for

Re-work of Thompson BG to match the other announced Thompson stock re-works

Sterling Single as an NRM collaboration

18000 - know many think this has a better chance through our Danish friends, though Barwell has done the LMS Twins - maybe Kernow on board for this one

Lastly - on the 'it'll never happen theme - Caly Cardean - how good would that look!

If I get just a couple of the above right I'll be a happy bunny and hopefully lots of other happy RM happy bunnies too!  

As most of my realistic wish list desires have met, by and large, I would be happy with either a Mk1 suburban Overhead EMU of the class 304/308 variant, mk2 310/312 or mk3 313 family of variants. That's all.

Cheers

Shane

How about some DRS Class 20/3's? They've been a long time coming and they've got to be a loco that would sell well, especially as they generally run pairs. Maybe a twin pack release could be done? I'd definitely have a pair!

DRS Class 37's with the modified ends. Considering the nose ends are separate items, it can't be any great stretch to tool up some new noses. Again, that's got to be a model that would be another decent seller.

A new Class 70 body shell to do the later Freightliner batches (70007-70020), or skip that completely and do the current ones with the cooler modifications. I'd have a Colas one for sure.

EWS container flats such as the FKA's and FAA's.

Andy.

(Oh, a Wessex Electric would be nice as well!)

How about some DRS Class 20/3's? They've been a long time coming and they've got to be a loco that would sell well, especially as they generally run pairs. Maybe a twin pack release could be done? I'd definitely have a pair!

And an RHTT vehicle (or pair) to go with them, plus a pair of HNRC Orange Class 20's with long range tanks would be nice. But surely the Balfour Beatty pair of 20's would be very popular as they have been everywhere now!

There are plenty of DRS 20's, 37's, 66's that surely a different run of 500-1000 could be produced every six months or so with different running numbers - (apologies if this has been discussed previously on another thread I'm sure it will have been!)

I'm hoping for a Railvac vehicle myself, or a more recent version of the Windhoff MPV either single or twin vehicle in NR yellow...

It's been said before and I'll say it again...

Let's get all the outstanding stuff delivered first!

By the way, MRE mag said something about a Bachmann roadshow touring the country with the 2015 catalogue announcements. If it's coming my way I might just pop in and look. Anyone know the schedule and locations? Was it is the club magazine?

With the majority of accouterments made this year, arriving a year later in 2016, could we see some Somerset and Dorset items? To commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the closing of the S&D? This I would very much love! :locomotive:  

I can't think of many, if any items that were uniquely Somerset and Dorset, apart from the 7F.

Most items of locomotive and stock is already covered:

Locomotives:

7F 

8F

9F

3F

4F

Black 5

2P

Jinty

GWR 57xx

West Country

T9

Std 4 4-6-0

Std 4 tank

Std 4 2-6-0

Std 3 tank

Ivatt tank

Coaching Stock:

Maunsell

Bullied

Hawksworth

Mk 1's

You've even got Hymeks and class 22's to help with the track removal.

You might ask for a midland 1P 4-4-0 tank but there can't be much else off the top of my head.

Bob

I can't think of many, if any items that were uniquely Somerset and Dorset, apart from the 7F.

Most items of locomotive and stock is already covered:

Locomotives:

7F 

8F

9F

3F

4F

Black 5

2P

Jinty

GWR 57xx

West Country

T9

Std 4 4-6-0

Std 4 tank

Std 4 2-6-0

Std 3 tank

Ivatt tank

Coaching Stock:

Maunsell

Bullied

Hawksworth

Mk 1's

You've even got Hymeks and class 22's to help with the track removal.

You might ask for a midland 1P 4-4-0 tank but there can't be much else off the top of my head.

Bob

1P, and a up to date 2P would be superb. Plus Running numbers that saw service on the S&D from the list of locos above.  :locomotive:

Also a SR U Class and Z Class would not go a miss, both did make brief visits to the line too. 

With the majority of accouterments made this year, arriving a year later in 2016, could we see some Somerset and Dorset items? To commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the closing of the S&D? This I would very much love! :locomotive:

That's a nice idea. They did the 7F and the 4F already. Th 3F is a possibility particularly as a Collectors' Club item.

I'd be delighted with a S&DJR brake van.

• RMweb Premium

Given how long for products to become available in shops, I should have been thinking too that next year is the 50th anniversary of the S&D's closure.

They could do no worse to celebrate that than bringing out a "Pines Express" train pack.

On the theme on 50th anniversaries, 18 April 1966 was also the inauguration of full public electric service from London Euston to Liverpool and Manchester - again they could arrange a train pack featuring a class 85 and a mixture of Mk1s and Mk2s.

Whether Bachmann will release anything in connection with the 50th anniversary of England's World Cup win is another matter and may not be announced this year.

• RMweb Premium

"Aach they Sassenachs are at it again. Ah cannae turn oan the BBC withoot mention oh that 1966. An noo it's oan RMWeb asweil." said Donald to Douglas while expressing the wish that their form may yet be brought out by Bachmann in the form of a Caley 812.

Good suggestions on Pines Express and Electrification train packs though. I think the only downside might be the cost they retail at. Probably heading toward, if not over £200 smackeroonies

• RMweb Gold

As they've done pretty much everything they can with the existing 7F, how about a RHD one from the earlier batch?

John

Archived