Mallaig Stn

Corrour

Hi Martin,

I have it confirmed you were correct re No.6, so I'll amend diagram and re-post. However some new information has come to light on lever pulls so will wait till that's sorted to do a new Rev of the drawing.

Thanks for your input! :-)

R

• 2 weeks later...

Martin, Coronach, et al.

Drawing revised to show No.6 Tablet and amended pulls as per Direction Board details I found in my files.. Also attached my drawing of the original RSCo SBD, drawn from a sketch by the late Ed Nicoll, and using style details from similar diagram done for Glenfinnan RM

The-WHL-Project-M1-Mallaig-Stn.-u.d.-Rev.4-rot-compress.pdf

Mallaig-RSC-M5-Rev.1-rot-compress.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I know its a long time since anyone posted in this thread but found a useful blog with lots of photos of Mallaig Station etc from the 30s onwards all in one place:

http://merailway.livejournal.com/703.html

EDIT: my father built an "O" scale model of the rationalised Mallaig, which was on the North West exhibition circuit in the 90's, based on 1980s operation; my contribution was a heavily reworked Lima Class 33 converted to a 27 using MMP parts and stretched motor bogie!

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Could anyone provide me with a drawing of the Mallaig Station building?

Thank you

Markus

There is a 1905 architectural plan at 1:48 scale (RHP 16725) listed in the National Archives of Scotland ... it's already been digitised so should be straightforward to get a copy. Contact the NAS via their enquiry form explaining that you cannot easily travel to Edinburgh and asking for confirmation that RHP 16725 includes elevations as well as just the building plan, and for a price for a digital copy. Or maybe someone else on RMWeb already has one.

cheers

Graham

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Today I received the USB stick with the drawings from Mallaig Station. But I was a bit disappointed because, there are only drawing from the ground and first floor, and drawings from the sides of a second building, but not from the main building.

But From the floor drawings I could make a footprint of the building, and the height could be made by judging the height.

Markus

• 5 weeks later...

Question if I may for the Collective regarding Mallaig signalling.

Before they were removed, the platform Starter signals were "main aspect" only with no "Shunt Ahead" arms. As most trains required propelling back beyond these signals for run round movements, were they cleared for the movement, or was Signaller's permission given to pass them at danger for this? And was there a "Shunt Limit" board or marker for such movements?

Many thanks,

Martyn.

There was a section signal (lever 9) 236 yards from the signalbox towards Morar, shortly before where the fish sidings used to be (the platform starters were 128 yards the other side of the box). I don't remember from visits there in the 1970s whether the platform starters were cleared for movements out of the platform up to the section signal, but I would be surprised if not. It was not uncommon to have two or three locomotives at Mallaig and other sidings were all signal protected where they joined the main line (except the fish van sidings which required the section tablet to unlock the ground frame). There is no shunt limit board beyond the section signal on signalbox diagram copies I've seen.

I had a quick look for photos and found one of D6116 on 19 September 1967 in the process of drawing out the observation car from the rear of a train which had arrived in No 1 platform (the main one which ran on to the harbour sidings), prior to turning on the turntable and re-attachment to the rear of the train for the journey back to Fort William. The loco is accelerating out of the platform and the starter (lever 15) is cleared for the movement. 

regards

Graham

Thanks Graham, I had a feeling the Starter signal would be cleared but the photos I have seen during run round moves show the signal at danger but the coaching stock having been propelled partly beyond the signal, which was presumably returned to danger when the movement stopped.

Cheers again,

Martyn.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello,

it's me again. On your plans there seems to be a short platform opposit of the Bayplatform tracks. Is these correct and are there any photos of it?

Markus

I think you mean the cattle dock (which later had some oil tanks placed on it).

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

A question regarding the origins of the Mallaig signal box shown below in 1984 with a photo from Flickr. It is not typical West Highland design, can anyone advise whose design it is and, most importantly to save me hours of scratch building heartache, does anyone make a model based on or close to this design? 

Mallaig Signal Box. Aug'84.

• RMweb Premium

Mentioned on this page: https://glenfinnanstationmuseum.co.uk/facilities/signal-box/

"The signal box was built by the Railway Signal Company, to control the signals and points in the Glenfinnan station area. It was one of 13 boxes of this design which were built in 1900-01 for the Fort William to Mallaig, and Spean Bridge to Fort Augustus railways."

Also at: https://www.signalbox.org/gallery/sc/banavie.php

"In contrast to the small boxes built on the West Highland line in 1894 (see Arrochar & Tarbet), the 1901 extension from Fort William to Mallaig was provided with more conventional signal boxes, although again they bore no resemblance to boxes found elsewhere on the North British system.

The contract was let to the Railway Signal Company, and the boxes were basically to their standard design (see Hoylake) but with a hipped roof which had an unusually large overhang. The frames in the boxes were built by RSC but were to Stevens' design, which was the standard frame of the NB."

Edited by keefer
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, young37215 said:

A question regarding the origins of the Mallaig signal box shown below in 1984 with a photo from Flickr. It is not typical West Highland design, can anyone advise whose design it is and, most importantly to save me hours of scratch building heartache, does anyone make a model based on or close to this design? 

Mallaig Signal Box. Aug'84.

I am not aware of any suitable kit but given the interest in the WHR extension it might be a viable project.

A signalbox is not the most difficult thing to scratchbuild. The only difficult bits that I can see on that one is the stairs and the corbels. You can probably find suitable bits for those from York Modelmaking.

6 hours ago, keefer said:

Also a signalbox diagram at the museum: https://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N02/6192120839

Thanks for posting that, as it is largely the track plan I used on Crinan. I had wondered if any Track Circuits were provided; it appears the only one (T4508, the blue section on the diagram) was linked with the FPL's and presumably had an indicator when occupied?

The 2 lever Ground Frame I'm guessing had one lever for the points and one for a FPL on the platform line (I suspect that is what the black symbol on that point indicates, other FPL's being shown as yellow).

Edited by Signaller69
Slight text alteration.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, i think that 'cross' is the usual symbol for a FPL.

Any idea what the 2 symbols are, next to the GF symbol?

20200401_132149.jpg.8f131c276965e5518e93619bc00e8a85.jpg

Is the top one a Loudaphone/speaker or similar for speaking to the signalman?

Edited by keefer