Mallaig Stn

Corrour

• 1 month later...
On 17/04/2017 at 22:38, stovepipe said:

Transhipment of fish and goods, and in earlier times coal and perhaps cattle.

13943197082_a9abf281eb_b.jpgMallaig. by Keith Long, on Flickr

I really should have kept up with this thread.

Coal was loaded directly from rail wagons into fishing vessel bunkers via a chute.  (source: My late father-in-law)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/01/2019 at 09:20, McRuss said:

Hello,

it's me again. On your plans there seems to be a short platform opposit of the Bayplatform tracks. Is these correct and are there any photos of it?

Markus

Here's one ^_^

Used now for storage of PW and S&T materials, and in March this year as a work site (with temporary portacabin buildings) for the replacement of platform 2's copings and surface.

Taken today (Friday 8th May), just as the run of glorious sunny weather seems to have broken.

IMG_20200508_103327[1].jpg

I'll try and get one from the other side when I take the dog out later this afternoon.

Cheers

David

Edit2: Don't know why that has come in as a link...

Edited by DavidBird
Dog walking
  • Like 2

Hi Markus, I know what you are describing and I think it is a short dock, separate from the area with the oil tanks and only able to take 2-3 4 wheel wagons.

The best picture I can find is attached but is too poor to make out the end of the siding clearly.

I'll keep looking,

Jim759989534_MallaigwithClass27s.jpg.d43c20552a2f3dd42670e1e31f03c178.jpg

Markus, if you look back to page 1 of this post, on 14th Feb Jamie attached 3 photos which all show the area in question as it was in the mid 70s. Unfortunately what they illustrate is that the dock has been taken out of use and has been bulldozed, probably for extra parking.  

Regards

Jim

• 3 months later...
On 11/05/2020 at 17:16, Jim49 said:

what they illustrate is that the dock has been taken out of use and has been bulldozed, probably for extra parking.  

Most remiss of me, not taking my own advice and not keeping up with this thread.

The end-dock is definitely still there, even with traces of the loading-gauge post.  However there has been material of some sort filled in  where the short length of track serving the dock was, and ash from the steam locos is still dumped there.  It is certaintly not used for extra parking, well not for public use anyway, although it is used as storage for PW materials.  Under where the large heap of ballast is, and the weeds, are the remains of the stanchions for the cattle pens.

On 10/05/2020 at 17:53, McRuss said:

Hello David,

thank you for the picture. But in the plans there seems to be a platform at the stationbuilding end.

Markus

On 11/05/2020 at 17:16, Jim49 said:

Markus, if you look back to page 1 of this post, on 14th Feb Jamie attached 3 photos which all show the area in question as it was in the mid 70s. Unfortunately what they illustrate is that the dock has been taken out of use and has been bulldozed, probably for extra parking.  

Regards

Jim

Many apologies, I've been misreading your posts.  I believe there was indeed a short platform at the far end of the loading dock siding, with a row of huts (small warehouses) where the approach to the Heritage Centre is now.  There must be a reasonable photo out there somewhere, as it was gone way before my time, but I do remember seeing a photo of these huts.

This photo shows the row of huts, but no sign of any platform, it would be behind the red Simpson's tanker.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5395139

And this one is just inconclusive.  There is something between the yellow van and the brakevan, but it is indistict.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=97407&search=Mallaig&category_id=64&page=1

Edited by DavidBird
Add link
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/09/2020 at 16:15, DavidBird said:

Ok, here's a couple more photos of the cattle dock area.  The 1st is a general view, whilst the 2nd is a close-up of the end, which shows the base of the loading gauge still in place.

IMG_20200901_155757.jpg

IMG_20200901_155931.jpg

Haven't checked in with this thread for a while. So glad I did as these photos are really useful for myself so thanks for posting David 

I've still not located that photo I mentioned before.

There is this one on display in the Mallaig Heritage Centre, which shows indistinctly the end of the building in question.

It also shows a good view of the building at the Up end of the cattle dock.

IMG_20200903_145224.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

• 3 months later...