Taunton 2015 - cake poll

Captain Kernow

Let them eat cake  

42 members have voted

1. 1. During the afternoon at Members' day there's an opportunity to indulge in some fine cakes; what would you like?

• I'm coming to Taunton and I'd like a slice of Chocolate & Guiness cake (popular last year)
    • I'm coming to Taunton and I'd like a slice of Date & Walnut cake (essential for Jerry Clifford)
    • I'm coming to Taunton and I'd like a slice of Ginger Cake (won't be tampered with by the Captain, doesn't like ginger)
    • I'm coming to Taunton and I'd like a slice of Gluten-free sponge cake
    • I'm coming to Taunton and I'd like a slice of Lemon & caramel cake
    • I'm coming to Taunton and I'd like a slice of New York cheese cake (may or may not be one of the Captain's favourites)

• RMweb Gold

OK folks, at Andy Y's request, here is a separate thread for the cake poll!

The choices are:

- Chocolate & Guiness cake (popular last year)

- Date & Walnut cake (essential for Jerry Clifford)

- Ginger Cake (won't be tampered with by the Captain, doesn't like ginger)

- Gluten-free sponge cake

- Lemon & caramel cake

- New York cheese cake (may or may not be one of the Captain's favourites)

I can neither confirm nor deny that the experimental laboratory construction of one of the above (which could involve an ingredient consisting of a dark and delicious liquid) may or may not commence shortly, according to CTMK, a leading member of the Committee for Public Cakery.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

When the poll is set up can there be an option for all of the above as after few years of attending the event I can confirm that all cake based products as top quality and very very nice.

Not that I'm meant to have any anymore...

Cheers

Simon

Ps not affiliation to the catering dept apart from bottle washer

• RMweb Gold

If CK would like to 'BACS' me the funds, I could purchase saffron cake(s) on Saturday from our local Warrens bakery....  :jester:

Not the best in the world, but maybe our Kenow based members could oblige instead?

If I could put this as sensitively as I can - the cake baking ladies will be putting a lot of effort into their home baking for this event, and we would plan to have sufficient cake for the normal levels of consumption that these events generate.

As such, we really would appreciate it if visitors did not bring any additional cakes etc., without checking with me by PM first, otherwise it dilutes the hard work that the ladies will be putting in.

We will, however, investigate recipes for home-made saffron cakes, if that is of interest.

Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Now this is the kind of vote I can feel engaged with, in contrast to the current* choices at Westminster....

* should that be currant (bun)?

Oh No! I've mentioned tea! What type of tea are we having?

Ian

If you are a Star Trek NG fan, the only possible answer is "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot..."

I haven't voted, since at this point I am not planning to attend and therefore could not answer the question accurately. Honestly I'd like to but all going well I will be in the Antipodes slightly before that time and probably can't arrange enough time off work without unpleasant consequences.

I was amused by the topic of "cake poll". It, combined with the end of April, the West Country and a recent thread somehow made me think of "May Pole" and I certainly hope that no Morris dancing is required with a "cake poll".

Ginger cake does sound nice.

• RMweb Gold

I think there needs to be a record of 'who-ate-what' on the day, then we can check votes against pies!

Do you know what? I think we've just found you your job for the day Nick - Assistant Deputy Chief Food Monitor!

Please bring your own clipboard! :jester:

I certainly hope that no Morris dancing is required with a "cake poll".

Shame on you.

Morris dancing is an great English tradition and should be strongly supported and used more to express the English nationality. For example it should be danced by the England rugby team as a response to the Kiwi haka before a match.

Jol

Edited for incorrect English!

• RMweb Gold

Shame on you.

Morris dancing is an great English tradition and should be strongly supported and used more to express the English nationality. For example it be danced by the England rugby team as a response to the Kiwi haka before a match.

Taunton, being in Somerset, is in the heart of England and I'd be very happy if some morris dancers were to ask permission to give us a twirl in the car park.

Morris dancing (both the type with handkerchiefs and sticks or Morris cars) is strictly forbidden inside the hall, it's in the terms and conditions..... honest..!

Archived