'A' Class with Supertrain MKll's

wiggy1

Great video Wiggy.  Your layout looks fabulous.  The scale length trains and long platforms look so right.  How do the new MM ST coaches look close up now that you have a rake?  After reading so much about them over on IRM it was difficult to see the woods from the trees.  The colour seems the same as the later IR/IE (i.e. perhaps a little too much yellow and not enough red).  What decoder/chassis do you have in your A class?  It seems a nice runner.

Great video Wiggy.  Your layout looks fabulous.  The scale length trains and long platforms look so right.  How do the new MM ST coaches look close up now that you have a rake?  After reading so much about them over on IRM it was difficult to see the woods from the trees.  The colour seems the same as the later IR/IE (i.e. perhaps a little too much yellow and not enough red).  What decoder/chassis do you have in your A class?  It seems a nice runner.

Hi NoelG,

The ST coaches are a bit of a disappointment and that is only my opinion, I don't want to start a rant on here but I'll say to anyone go and look for yourself and make your own minds up and then decide if you are going to buy them or not.

It depends on how critical you want to be with them, don't know whats been said on IRM or other sites.

The 'A' class is RTR from Silverfox and it did have a Lima chassis and motor as I have had it for several years and I think that it was the only option at the time.

When Silverfox started to use the Hornby DCC ready Deltic chassis I asked John at Silverfox if he could rechassis all (9) my 'A'class locos so they all have Hornby Deltic DCC chassis under them now.

I use a TCS decoder in them (8 pin direct) but at first they did not run very well and could not pull the skin of a rice pudding (as they say in the UK) but I have now added a load of weight in them (each used to weigh 250grams) and now at 500 grams they run much smother and can haul much more as you can see in the video.

All 9 can easily haul 14 bogie shale wagons which I'll be doing a video of later.

I do believe that John at silverfox now adds extra weight as standard.

Regards,

Wiggy.

Thanks Wiggy.

I recently received my first SF A '001' class from John.  Very pleased with it and hope to buy more.  Its on a Hornby Class 55 and weighs a ton.  I plan to put a Lenz silver decoder in it.  Is your TSC coder a direct fitting 8 pin onto the Hornby chassis PCB, or does it use a wiring harness and 8 pin plug at end of it?  Also have you tried fitting lights to any of your A classes?  I wonder if there are lighting kits available complete with resisters for other BR outline diesels that might do for the SF.

Good night

Noel

Thanks Wiggy.

I recently received my first SF A '001' class from John.  Very pleased with it and hope to buy more.  Its on a Hornby Class 55 and weighs a ton.  I plan to put a Lenz silver decoder in it.  Is your TSC coder a direct fitting 8 pin onto the Hornby chassis PCB, or does it use a wiring harness and 8 pin plug at end of it?  Also have you tried fitting lights to any of your A classes?  I wonder if there are lighting kits available complete with resisters for other BR outline diesels that might do for the SF.

Good night

Noel

Hi Noel,

Yes, John has but more weight in them makes them a lot better runner as well as pulling power.

My Decoder is 8 pin direct fitting as there is not to much room in there.

Re lights, funny enough I've just received a lighting kit from 'Studio Scale Models' for one of my 'A' class as I was thinking of putting lights in one.

It comes with very small wired LED's and resisters and some fibre optic tubing.

Not started to do this yet, first impressions is it looks a bit fiddly but not having tried it yet I don't know.

Wiggy.

Thanks Wiggy.  Is that the 8 led + 2 led kit for €15 on their web site (i.e. pic of an A class)?  What is the fibre optic for - headlamps or running lights?  Please let me know how you get on, especially how you wire the lights to the decoder.  I presume the wiring will go to the loco's PCB (i.e. Hornby board) rather than to the decoder pins as it is a plug in. Noel

Thanks Wiggy.  Is that the 8 led + 2 led kit for €15 on their web site (i.e. pic of an A class)?  What is the fibre optic for - headlamps or running lights?  Please let me know how you get on, especially how you wire the lights to the decoder.  I presume the wiring will go to the loco's PCB (i.e. Hornby board) rather than to the decoder pins as it is a plug in. Noel

Hi Noel,

Yes thats the one but only 8 LED's.

There is fibre optic for all lights, larger for the Head lamps.

Any questions on the kit best ask Des.

Not decided how I'll wire these yet, may be going for a decoder on a harness with a 8 pin plug on it, then cut the wires for the lights as I have to get a 4 or 6 function decoder to work them, not looked into it yet.

Don't hold your breath on this as it's not top of my priority list.

I'm sure I've seen some 'A' class's with lights fitted, I'm sure someone will come along on here with a photo or to.

Wiggy.

Here is a C class with lights fitted. Same fitting method would apply to an A class, one of which I have under construction at the moment.

Standard LEDs have been used. For each end, a 5mm white for the headlights, two 3mm whites for the white running lights, and two 3mm reds for the rear lights.

The LEDs are fitted into boxes made from black plasticard, with the red and white in a single box separated by black plasticard. The black plasticard ensures there is no light leakage. 

The dummy lights in the body are drilled out to the size of the optic fibre, 1mm for the running lights, and 2mm for each headlight. The plasticard boxes are fitted inside the body using adhesive, ensuring they line up with the drilled holes. The holes are then extended through the plasticard, and suitable lengths of optic fibre are cut and pushed into the holes all the way into the boxes. I found it was advisable to leave the bottom of the boxes off until the optic fibre had been installed, so that any fine tuning with the position of the optic fibre could take place.  The LEDs were wired to the loco circuit board via resistors and a multiplug to enable the body and chassis to be totally separated if required. Once satisfied with the lighting, the bottom of the boxes can be fitted

The white running lights, and the red rear lights are switched on and off together, but the headlights can be switched on and off independently, but only when the running lights are on. When the running lights are switched off, everything goes off.

post-13499-0-89380800-1423606368_thumb.jpg

Here is a C class with lights fitted. Same fitting method would apply to an A class, one of which I have under construction at the moment.

Hi David,

That 'C' class looks good with the lights on.

I've noticed that the 'views' on the thread have increased since the lighting questions have started so I assume a few are interested in putting lights into their 'A' and 'C' classes.

Is there any chance of a few photos inside of the loco on how you did this?

I know you have explained it as above but may be a new thread on how to do this if you would be so kind.

I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested, I know I would.

Or maybe a fitting service lol.       :yes:

Regards,

Wiggy.

Got my figures wrong about the size of the LEDS. The size I quoted were used on an MIR 071 loco. The sizes used on the C class were 3mm white for the headlights, and 1.8mm whites and reds for the running lights. The resistors are mounted on a piece of PCB up in the roof at one end, and feed the lights at the other end via the wires running along the roof which are secured to the roof with small dabs of superglue at regular intervals. The bottom of the plasticard boxes have yet to be fitted, and the optic fibres have yet to be installed for the running lights.

post-13499-0-48087200-1423841807_thumb.jpg

Got my figures wrong about the size of the LEDS. The size I quoted were used on an MIR 071 loco. The sizes used on the C class were 3mm white for the headlights, and 1.8mm whites and reds for the running lights. The resistors are mounted on a piece of PCB up in the roof at one end, and feed the lights at the other end via the wires running along the roof which are secured to the roof with small dabs of superglue at regular intervals. The bottom of the plasticard boxes have yet to be fitted, and the optic fibres have yet to be installed for the running lights.

Hi David,

Nice bit of installation there nice and tidy.

What chassis are you using?

Are the LED's just normal 3mm and 1.8mm or lighthouse or high intensity LED's?

I take it you then use the fibre optic from the LED through the front bodywork?

Then just wire it up to a harnessed decoder?

Thanks,

Wiggy.

The LEDs are high intensity, but not lighthouse. The fibre optic is trimmed to length, the ends filed flat and then pushed through the pre drilled holes until flush on the outside. They were removed while the body was being painted. The LEDs are wired into the loco circuit board which is fitted with a 21 pin sound decoder.

The chassis is scratchbuilt out of brass angle and plasticard. It is only four wheel drive, which is a Hornby Class 20 drive bogie driven by a Bachmann double flywheel motor. It was to have been a double bogie drive, but I could not fit a flywheel motor in. I do have plans to build a new all brass chassis with Bachmann Class 150 drive bogies, as I now have a shorter motor unit.   

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Wiggy.

I recently received my first SF A '001' class from John.  Very pleased with it and hope to buy more. 

I cannot agree with your view on the SF A being a good representation of an iconic prototype. The older Q kits model has the look captured very well, the SF model is quite wrong in a few areas

Archived