Corgi closed top Tram to open top...

deeslexia

For several reasons, little happened in respect of Tram interest since 2013 except that I discovered one tram with broken uprights to the top deck.

I clipped these off and touched in the white.

I had also found that the construction of the open top/single deck and double deck trams differs, so it's difficult to create an open top version by using parts from an appropriate tram.

This accident is perfect for me as I just have to create some safety guards from fine netting or expanded metal.

I hope to have the second closed double deck tram motorised as it is a simple matter of two screws to swap open top to closed.

Unfortunately I shall have to sell some stuff to afford the motor !

dee

post-19753-0-09584200-1423225523.jpg

Here is the open top tram converted from closed double deck, in progress with a standard open top tram in comparison.

The seats and platforms  have been painted with the upper deck finished with black top rail.

Expanded metal has been cut to make a safety screen with 1st coat black.

The joint at each end of the tram will have panel with route number.

Unfortunately, the staircase on the white/red tram needs to be removed and painted brown or black , or prototypical  red with light grey steps.

In comparison with the toy like standard tram, I prefer the conversion from a double deck.

As the construction of the closed double deck trams differs from the open topper and the single deck, this can be reverted to closed top simply by using another tram top deck.

This will facilitate swapping from open top to closed top when, or if, I can afford to have one motorised !

Of course, there was never an LT tram in this guise,but it fits in less obviously with OO ancillaries and buses. 

post-19753-0-62248000-1423747466.jpg

Here is an aside from the open top tram-a conversion from a Southampton single deck to London Transport.

This demands total drilling out and stripping.

I just wanted to steal the roof for an enclosed LT single deck tram upon the lower deck of the damaged LT enclosed double deck.

As luck would have it,the fixings are quite different requiring lugs to which the top deck is usually screwed, to be cut off so that the roof lies flat.

So, no going back.

Pics of this one later.

However, I was left with the open front Southampton in red without roof.

I made the new roof from thick card, 2 layers with an extension for the route board and number.

I painted just the sides and windows plus seats,motor bogies etc, leaving the overall red.

Oversize transfers and a strip of black insulating tape covers the poor paint join.

The roof from the broken double deck finishes off the conversion.

it's a bit rough and ready but I like it 'cos it echoes the handmade and painted trams I admired in the past.

Ironically, I prefer the card roof to the correct one, and now like the open front trams. 

Another Southampton enclosed, open front, double deck tram bought cheaply for spares/parts is also being converted in a similar manner, increasing my LT fleet.

I may even cut apart the upper deck for another roof and open top surround, which would fit any fully enclosed double deck tram.

dee

post-19753-0-77940300-1424474201.jpg

post-19753-0-57667300-1424474218.jpg

post-19753-0-58226500-1424474299.jpg

Still work in progress as the roof is not stuck down, but hometown 'East Acton' my fantasy fleet is growing.

In fact East Acton with a small roundabout, was a terminus for no 7 school bus in the late 50s/60s.

The closed front tram is of course unique  and fantasy, although LCC did run some open front single deckers and rather than scrap the roofless tram, I fabricated a roof and partially repainted it as previously described.

The problem is that I actually prefer the card roof to the correct one, so maybe I did not need to dismantle an innocent Southampton single decker.

No matter, the partial repaint adds to the fleet! 

Photos could be better-my work space is a bit dark !!

dee

Frankly, I intend to chase inexpensive trams purely to dee'member and LT them. 

post-19753-0-16476400-1424558491.jpg

post-19753-0-14145900-1424558507.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I favoured the fully enclosed Corgi tram because the open front tram with fully enclosed top just looked unbalanced/wrong.

With a Southampton open front tram and top from a nicotine stained ex-ebay purchase, I created an open balcony car - and it's great !

Somehow it's more delicate and less bulky than the standard model.

I just cut out & filed the windows front and back , with card screens to the seating area . It's rough and ready with suspect hand painting, but I quite like it this way as it's reminiscent of scratch built trams.

There is actually a near prototype for this as shown at the LT Museum in London.

Hopefully, I will buy an LT open front tram and create the conversion with neater doors/windows to the upper deck.

dee

post-19753-0-77439900-1425661025.jpg

post-19753-0-95540100-1425661072.jpg

post-19753-0-74112000-1425661089.jpg

I photocopied the backgrounds @200% from a Corgi tram issue.

The  standard Corgi is just too shiny, but the rebuilds fit in perfectly sans colour!

The open front and double decker in monochrome reminds me of those many black and white photos !

I am thinking a small diorama with a couple of grey shades/Black and white trams like a moving monochrome film... 

post-19753-0-40292700-1425928246.jpg

post-19753-0-73485300-1425928262.jpg

Archived