And Now for Something Completely Different

colmflanagan

Colm all i can say is WOW just WOW !!!! Your skills are amazing!

The ferry in the video did you make it? its awesome ! Is it Caledonian Princess? Have you seen the duke of Lancaster which is sadly rusting away in north wales i saw i when i was a kid However its the only surviver I think should be rescued and restored or at least visualy restored to its br colour scheme! Sorry I'm rambling on now

All the best Phil

Colm has used two Black Beetle drives for No 28 to give plenty of traction and smooth running without traction tyres, plus all wheel pickup. The Lima Class 20 only drives four wheels, but they are fitted with traction tyres at the expense of pickups, so it only picks up power on four wheels, which is not the best solution for smooth running. The 1A-A1 wheel arrangement is immaterial as two driven wheels instead of four in a model requires twice as much weight for hauling a given load. Besides many RTR locomotives have less wheels powered than the prototype, and who ever heard of a full sized loco fitted with traction tyres. Model railways is all about compromise.

I only used one powered BB because I didn't see any reason why I needed to pay an extra 50 quid-there's ulster-scots blood in me! - to pull more vehicles than 28 would actually have done, at speed anyway - she was used for shunting latterly and presumably could manage an "enterprise" rake which could have been 7-8 bogie coaches, but of course at much lower speed. i did wire up the pickups on the dummy for continuity, but a second powered bogie would improve traction of course, which might be advisable if my 28 is to run on "Bleach Green" with its 1 in 50 gradients!

Colm

Colm all i can say is WOW just WOW !!!! Your skills are amazing!

The ferry in the video did you make it? its awesome ! Is it Caledonian Princess? Have you seen the duke of Lancaster which is sadly rusting away in north wales i saw i when i was a kid However its the only surviver I think should be rescued and restored or at least visualy restored to its br colour scheme! Sorry I'm rambling on now

All the best Phil

Hi Phil No, I didn't build the ferry, those skills are beyond mine. Though it is indeed Caledonian Princess - you can find more about her on the thread in this group "Coleraine Stranraer & Donaghadee railway", my home layout, and there is a build thread in the scratchbuilding forum, by the builder, Carl Fisher. I travelled on the Duke of Lancaster a month before the Heysham Belfast service ceased. There's something very sad about old ships 9and trains!) left to rot...but restoration or preservation would be ruinously expensive now.

Isn't only one bogie powered? I was thinking of a similar arrangement to the Lima class 20 which has one bogie powered via a gear tower and a flexible drive to the bogie at the nose end. The locomotive that I'm considering is the 1932 BTH Bo-Bo locomotive built for Fords Dagenham factory, this is only 4 or 5 feet longer than number 28 and has similar space constraints. Incidentally number 28 was 1A-A1 so only 2 driven axles is prototypical.

Interestingly some info regarding 28 came to light a while ago, which is that four traction motors were considered at the building stage of 28, but was not proceeded with. probably with the relatively low horsepower installed they didn't think it necessary - a bit like me on the model, I suppose. But, it's sad that Harland's dropped railway work after the war because I think they might have been on a winner with a 28 Mk2, with a more powerful engine (800-1000bhp) and Bo-Bo arrangement - the perfect mixed traffic loco for Irish railways at the time, as the GMs were to be years later, and Harlands might have sold them to BR as well!

Archived