Blue Riband Mk1s

Flying Pig

• RMweb Premium

My InterCity BG van has just spent an evening on the workbench getting a little makeover:

post-6910-0-33146700-1456688926_thumb.jpg

The red stripe was masked off and repainted light blue (I could have used the Fox Transfers lining but quite frankly having used lots of them on just the one Mk 2 coach, I have given up on them as a major pain in the neck!!) plus suitable numbers and ScotRail fleet names from Railtec.

I also carefully scrubbed off the orange cant rail lines from the ends as the photo of one of these in a Platform 5 Combined Volume shows them as not being there, just on the coach side guttering.  Of course I only did one end of the coach initially, the other end I had not realised I had missed until I looked at this picture, error duly corrected!!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The blue and grey Mk1 Corridor Composites are now arriving.  Anyone able to tell me the number and bogies on it please?  Trying to justify one in the West Highlands.....

• RMweb Premium

A few more thoughts on close-coupling Farish sleepers with Dapol short NEMCOUPS-- I've found using a Dapol short MAGNETIC coupler on a buffet car within the rake to be beneficial in negotiating Peco small radius points. This also applies to sleepers next to the Nightcap Bar fitted with buckeyes.

• RMweb Premium

Got one now, can confirm the number being the pre-renumbering M16153 which if my mathematics is correct later became 7153 and has Commonwealth bogies.  As I want to renumber it to Scottish allocated 7201 I am changing the bogies to BR1 of which fortunately I have a spare set in stock.

• 1 month later...

Hallo,

just seen a photo of the InterCity liveried MK1 FK on the RailsofSheffiield website

Can it really be the case that BachFar have forgotten the yellow 1st class stripe? Or did they actually run without the stripe? Motorail versions had the stripe...........

Just asking

es grüßt

pc

• RMweb Premium

The '1's are missing from the doors as well...

Hopefully more soon to be discounted coaches for cut and shut projects.  Lost count of how many cheap as chips blue and grey Restaurant Opens I have had for bogie and parts donors so far!!!

My InterCity BG van has just spent an evening on the workbench getting a little makeover:

attachicon.gifScotRailBG1.jpg

The red stripe was masked off and repainted light blue (I could have used the Fox Transfers lining but quite frankly having used lots of them on just the one Mk 2 coach, I have given up on them as a major pain in the neck!!) plus suitable numbers and ScotRail fleet names from Railtec.

I also carefully scrubbed off the orange cant rail lines from the ends as the photo of one of these in a Platform 5 Combined Volume shows them as not being there, just on the coach side guttering.  Of course I only did one end of the coach initially, the other end I had not realised I had missed until I looked at this picture, error duly corrected!!

I would buy one of those! 

If interested, send me a PM if we can do a deal 

That would sit on my layout next to a Mercig / Wickness 47/7 nicely

The '1's are missing from the doors as well...

Hopefully more soon to be discounted coaches for cut and shut projects.  Lost count of how many cheap as chips blue and grey Restaurant Opens I have had for bogie and parts donors so far!!!

re the '1's: true, I was sitting in the SBahn this morning and my inner voice told me exactly the same and I asked myself why I forgot to write that down! I have eMailed BachFar asking if this is a genuine mistake. Must say I am very surprised that this type of livery error got past QA 

es grüßt

pc

• RMweb Premium

I have been thumbing through Platform 5 books and found a picture of a blue and grey FK, next to it clear as day with number visible is the right hand end of FK 13314 in Intercity livery and it has yellow stripe and '1' on the door.  Was there ever such a thing as an Intercity liveried declassified FK?

Was there ever such a thing as an Intercity liveried declassified FK?

Yes, the Mark 1 FK used on the Euston - Stirling motorail service 

Sadly I disposed of those photos a long time ago 

These coaches had some details removed to avoid confusion, as it was a single "upgraded" class for all passengers 

I saw these coaches numerous times at Carlisle and noted how they transformed, before the service was withdrawn 

Equally, as this was such a small number of coaches quite often there would be a spare occasionally, and once was a Mark 2F FO and just before the service was withdrawn was just two Mark 3A/B FO

Interesting to read about the declassified FK on the Motorail Services. I have only see photos/YouTube clips of "classified" ones, with the Motorail added next to the InterCity, the 1 and the stripe. 

Maybe the running number chosen was one of those declassified versions

Anyway thanks for the info, a case of "providing we can find one photo/clip then our model is correct - basta"

es grüßt

pc

Hallo,

I wrote to Bachmann enquiring about the livery applpication and the reply admits that the omition of the yellow stripe was a mistake, but seems I need better glasses, the FKs did run without 1s on the doors, photo evidence proves that! So 00 gauge is probably incorrect.

es grüßt

pc 

edit with a photo link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5669297949/in/album-72157626607644398/

Edited by Padishar Creel

I also just had one of the Intercity FKs arrive from a pre-order (together with an NSE 101, which is lovely). Given the higher cost of these newer batches of Mk1s, I'm quite tempted to return it. On the other hand, my normal instinct would be to mask and spray on the yellow stripe. And if I go to that effort, also probably renumber.

Did any of the Intercity FKs get swallow style italic branding? (Although the "InterCityMotorail" branding is quite interesting too...)

Justin

• RMweb Premium

I have thus far only found First Open's with the Swallow style branding plus a RMB and I believe at least one BSK.  No FK's so far but I will keep looking.

Here's my FK corrected with Fox Transfers.

The yellow line needed to be cut down in width by about 30% to fit the model.

The previous Bachfarish IC offering some years ago also had a similar mistake. The Second class coaches had a red cantrail stripe as used on catering vehichles. Agian I had to use Fox Transfers Buff lining to correct those.

Alan.

post-23554-0-58396400-1462705944_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Here's my FK corrected with Fox Transfers.

The yellow line needed to be cut down in width by about 30% to fit the model.

The previous Bachfarish IC offering some years ago also had a similar mistake. The Second class coaches had a red cantrail stripe as used on catering vehichles. Agian I had to use Fox Transfers Buff lining to correct those.

Alan.

Hi Alan, if it helps and if you're doing more, then a choice of the two packs below may mean that you don't have to trim down the yellow 1st class lining:

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=yellow+1st+class

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alan, if it helps and if you're doing more, then a choice of the two packs below may mean that you don't have to trim down the yellow 1st class lining:

http://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=yellow+1st+class

I think you've put the wrong link in there; it took me to some 4mm scale stripes.