Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Authentic BR loco coal?

Trofimow

• RMweb Gold

While taking the varmint  walkies along the Flitch Way the other day, I picked these up from the weeds beside the old track bed.

post-16170-0-86525000-1423490895.png

Is it authentic BR? Who knows, it must have been there a long time if it is, but how else did it get there?

Anyhow, there's enough here to fill all my tenders and mineral wagons...

It stands a chance of being BR,  but I should think you would need a few tons to fill a tender and around 10 to fill a 16 tonner.

Bit more to go yet I'd say. :jester:

Andy

• RMweb Gold

It stands a chance of being BR,  but I should think you would need a few tons to fill a tender and around 10 to fill a 16 tonner.

Bit more to go yet I'd say. :jester:

Andy

I think there will be enough for my 16 tonners...

post-16170-0-08851300-1423496478_thumb.png

You might have a point about tenders though... :scratchhead:

post-16170-0-91118900-1423496518_thumb.png

Many years ago I paid a visit to Hunstanton, parking the car on the site of the old loco shed. The surface of the car park was just levelled ground (nowadays it is a tarmac park). As I got out of the car I noticed 2 or 3 lumps of coal buried in the surface. Must have been genuine loco coal? I'm still using it to fill my model tenders.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I sieve mine from from our loco coal pile. As it's destined for the loco, then yes, it's loco coal (dust). Just right for either 2mm or 4mm. I collared a large bag of the stuff a few years back, enough for about 1,000 wagons. Our local club have taken a large portion of it, much to Mrs Smith's relief.....

Ian

Did it fall or was it thrown?  My grandfather (who started as a cleaner on the Great Eastern and retired as a driver a month before I was born) was, so I'm told, quick a good shyer when it came to stunning lineside rabbits with lumps of coal.  Aforesaid rabbits would be destined for a stew.  (I doubt that he was alone in this practice).

• RMweb Gold

Did it fall or was it thrown?  My grandfather (who started as a cleaner on the Great Eastern and retired as a driver a month before I was born) was, so I'm told, quick a good shyer when it came to stunning lineside rabbits with lumps of coal.  Aforesaid rabbits would be destined for a stew.  (I doubt that he was alone in this practice).

That's entirely possible - rabbit holes abound along this section. Oh for a time machine to go back and watch!

Many years ago I paid a visit to Hunstanton, parking the car on the site of the old loco shed. The surface of the car park was just levelled ground (nowadays it is a tarmac park). As I got out of the car I noticed 2 or 3 lumps of coal buried in the surface. Must have been genuine loco coal? I'm still using it to fill my model tenders.

I can see you never went to Cleethorpes in it's heyday. The whole of the high tide line was marked by a string of small pieces of coal, and of course the sea was the colour of Humber mud.

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of coal lying around of you look for it.  Whether it was locomotive coal or spilled from payload might depend on its situation.  A few months ago I was wading through the stuff in what used to be New Bank at Toton and is now treated as a public path / trail-bike racing area whether or not permission has actually been given.  

My 16 tonners have a block of foam filling most of the wagon and are topped with Woodland coal.  Filling the wagon with the stuff would be unnecessarily costly.  But if you pick it up for free ......... 

A lot of my coal was found (some years ago now)  in the gutters hereabouts after having been dropped by the coal merchant during delivery.

It appears, in these parts at least, that this source has dried up somewhat.

It never ceases to amaze me though, just how much useful modelling material can be found just lying around the publc highway.

Andy

Hi All,

Out of interest, a little dismantling work on the tender slated for the No. 4709 project was carried out on request by one of my Pendennis Castle guys last year and while doing so, he found two large lumps of the compressed coal ovoids tucked up in the loco to tender drag box end. Having agreed about how remarkable it was that it was still there, we realised that they may be a quite unusual survivors so we took it to the museum and asked if they had any. To cut a long story short, they have now been accepted into the Great Western Trust's collection! Two of the more unusual items in there but they do tell an important story...

All the best,

Castle

Not loco coal, but in the mid 1980's, we went scavenging a couple of bunkers to see if there was any welsh left in them (they were in Ontario, at the time...).  Unfortunately, there wasn't any leftovers, as the coal we were getting at shows was more like black rock than coal !

(it hasn't changed that much, but our firing style and boiler arrangements have...)

James

I walk my four legged friend in the remnants of the old Kingmoor MPD. Since 1999, the site of the old Type 1 coaler and the former ash pit have been providing me with suitable material to fill tenders and wagons. The real deal! :-)

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago I found a large lump of coal alongside the old Stainmore route near Belah. I have just used part of it to coal up a couple of models of BR Standards based in the area. Chris.

• RMweb Premium

Late 70's, derailment somewhere in the North of Scotland, 150 tons or more of coal spilt. Wagons cleared & line reoopened, but debris left for later.

Gang sent out a day or two later, to discover no coal.

All cleared up and disposed of by the locals. How many 4mm tenders & 126 tonners would that lot have filled?

Regards

Ian

PS Abbreviated tale told to me in my youth

Here's my little story about loco coal.

I live in a village by the track, sadly now gone, where we had a pick up goods two or three times per week. One of the signalmen from the local station lived across the track from us and now and then the pick up goods loco stopped by his field separated from the track by a stone wall. The fireman got up on the tender and proceeded to select large lumps of coal [and they really were large] which he threw over the wall. I bet Jack never had to buy coal!

As a kid I sometimes uncoupled all the wagons in the siding, just a few normally, and delighted in seeing the goods set off with just one wagon. One day they backed up and coupled the next one and set off with two, only then did they check the others. I thought it was hilarious, I guess I was 10 or 11 then. I remember being fascinated by the wagon builders plates, Gloucester wagon co. etc., there were a lot of ex-PO wagons in those days.

Edward

Archived