Worcestershire Parkway Station - Now Open

2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Yes, there's a few trains in the December timetable which run non stop from Oxford to Paddington, they'll probably just about dip under the 2 hours.

And the service is becoming hourly; A far cry from the dreadful years of decline in the 1970s and 80s, when much of the line was singled, and BR later tried to withdraw through trains to London entirely.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes down to 7 trains a day in the 1971 - 2 timetable,  powered (I use that term loosely!)  by the excerable Class 31s the ER discarded....

Followed by attempts to route services via Cheltenham - and even on a loop via Bham for one year.

Mind you, to get to London sooner then moving the start point a few miles nearer to the destination has to be a winner!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Yes down to 7 trains a day in the 1971 - 2 timetable,  powered (I use that term loosely!)  by the excerable Class 31s the ER discarded....

Followed by attempts to route services via Cheltenham - and even on a loop via Bham for one year.

Mind you, to get to London sooner then moving the start point a few miles nearer to the destination has to be a winner!

And the journey will be even quicker once London Old Oak Common opens !

• Funny 2

I should correct myself - the non stop trains are 3 down trains in the evening (which take less than 2 hours to Worcester Parkway), every fast train on the Oxford line in the up direction stops at Reading.

Normally down trains mostly take just over 2 hours to WP, up trains are mostly scheduled 2:02 or 2:03 for WP to PAD, but there's a few that do it in 1:50-something (the 0643 from Shrub Hill gets in at 0840, so that's under 2 hours without having to build a platform in a field to achieve it)

(Why is the 3 letter code for Worcestershire Parkway censored?)

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

(Why is the 3 letter code for Worcestershire Parkway censored?)

A disrespectful term for Italians? You have to be of a certain age to remember its use.

David

The Cardiff Nottingham service is often a 2 car 170 and there are usually people standing from Cheltenham so Worcester passengers will find getting a seat difficult. I travelled in both directions on Tuesday and there were no running-in-boards.  At present the timekeeping of the Cardiff Nottingham trains is good so it will be interesting to see the impact of the extra stop.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/news/article/1973/countys_first_new_station_in_100_years_will_open_early_next_year

According to local gen it looks like 26th January is the big day 

Anyone for a brass band? Was looking for the Railway Children original on Youtube but as its Worcestershire perhaps this is more appropriate...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Oh dear - somebody has not been looking at the right timetables.  A quick look at Real Time Trains shows that stops at Worcestershire Parkway are already timed in on the OWW so there is no timetabling reason why opening for trains to London (and Shrub Hill etc) need be delayed until May - it is simply a matter of turning them into advertised stops, which is hardly the most exacting task in the world.

The automatic displays on the Cardiff Nottingham Cross Country trains have been advising passengers that the "next stop will be Worcestershire Parkway" since some time in December. Fortunately nobody believed this as the trains roared through at around 90 mph. I did try to travel on one of these trains on Tuesday 28th but it was cancelled and instead my route to Brum was via Reading. Arrived 2 hours late. Signal failure at Aschurch.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, John-Miles said:

The automatic displays on the Cardiff Nottingham Cross Country trains have been advising passengers that the "next stop will be Worcestershire Parkway" since some time in December. Fortunately nobody believed this as the trains roared through at around 90 mph. I did try to travel on one of these trains on Tuesday 28th but it was cancelled and instead my route to Brum was via Reading. Arrived 2 hours late. Signal failure at Aschurch.

Sounds like a Reggie Perrin sort of journey! Take a letter Joan....

http://www.leonardrossiter.com/reginaldperrin/Train.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Oh dear - somebody has not been looking at the right timetables.  A quick look at Real Time Trains shows that stops at Worcestershire Parkway are already timed in on the OWW so there is no timetabling reason why opening for trains to London (and Shrub Hill etc) need be delayed until May - it is simply a matter of turning them into advertised stops, which is hardly the most exacting task in the world.

Suspect the continual obfuscation masks much buck passing in the background Mike...

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Realtime Trains seems to think its 16th too! The Trainline doesnt acknowledge any date yet...

Where does it say that?

It's still showing "Service stop unadvertised" on the Cotswold line as it has for some time.

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, lmsforever said:

What a saga the councillors need to be retrained in how to serve the voters they should be ashamed of themselves for how long it has taken to build and open this important station.

That's quite a revelation.

I didn't know WCC were into station building, no wonder my Council Tax is so high......:jester:

I shall contact my councillor immediately and instruct them to leave such projects to Network Rail, whose job it is to get such things done.:yes:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Where does it say that?

It's still showing "Service stop unadvertised" on the Cotswold line as it has for some time.

XC trains to Gloucester start appearing on that date last time I looked.....

• Informative/Useful 1