3D printing in clear transparent plastic?

Hello folks,

Just wanted to know if it is possible to 3D print in 100% clear transparent plastic. Whilst making windows out of clear plastikard is most effective it however is very hard for curved surfaces and very small windows. So please do let me know if 3D printing is possible for such things.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff.

PS: Any other solutions also are gladly welcome.

Have not heard of anything. It was mentioned in the Fourdees model info that the glazing was not completely clear.

If you are heating up clear plastic it does not stay clear. I am thinking it is a bit like the stuff used in those hot glue guns.

If somone finds a material that does set completely clear then it will be very popular.

I have dabbled in recycling, and the plastic used in some see through containers like plastic bottles are a definite no no for home recycling. We all know the type of fumes we get from out plastic solvent glues. You have to be careful with those, but you might not get a second chance with what is in the clear plastic bottles.

Given that many of the 3D printing machines for home use are open air ones, the plastic being used would have to be 100% safe.

I would really like to be able to design glazing for some models, as it would not be that difficult to design it once the main body had been designed.

I checked out the info about transparent detail plastic last year and thought it was not completely transparent. The picture on this item looks OK but I would prefer to see a proper photo. Shapeways have been putting in improvements(?) to website and materials. If it as good as it suggests, then ideal for coach windows.

Wish I could remember the type of plastic used. But remember watching my cousin making cockpit covers for RC aeroplanes. He would make a die of the profile he wanted to mould take a sheet of this particular plastic (which was clear) warm it up and then bring it down on to the die/mould.

I remember him saying that it's biggest drawback was that it wasn't as optically clear as glass but was certainly clear enough to pick out the truncated pilot who was placed in the RC plane. He did also remark that because of the size of the moulds (about 3 or 4 inches) you didn't always get it right first time. But 'm guessing OO scale the success rate might be higher.

At a guess I'd say it must have been a similar plastic material to that used in thermo forming packaging, but I couldn't say what. My cousin did seem to get some good results out of it though.

Wish I could remember the type of plastic used. But remember watching my cousin making cockpit covers for RC aeroplanes. He would make a die of the profile he wanted to mould take a sheet of this particular plastic (which was clear) warm it up and then bring it down on to the die/mould.

I remember him saying that it's biggest drawback was that it wasn't as optically clear as glass but was certainly clear enough to pick out the truncated pilot who was placed in the RC plane. He did also remark that because of the size of the moulds (about 3 or 4 inches) you didn't always get it right first time. But 'm guessing OO scale the success rate might be higher.

At a guess I'd say it must have been a similar plastic material to that used in thermo forming packaging, but I couldn't say what. My cousin did seem to get some good results out of it though.

You might have some luck using this method with some of the pre-formed plastic trays used for 'ripe and ready' fruit in the supermarket; from what I've seen after they've been through the dishwasher, they soften at about 40 degrees, and remain transparent. The moulding trick's been around for yonks- I remember it often being featured in the original Airfix magazine, back in the late 1960s.

Hello folks,

Just wanted to know if it is possible to 3D print in 100% clear transparent plastic. Whilst making windows out of clear plastikard is most effective it however is very hard for curved surfaces and very small windows. So please do let me know if 3D printing is possible for such things.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff.

PS: Any other solutions also are gladly welcome.

HI Guys I found this post and thought I just reply to see if I could help out here.

I have some experience with 3D printing and in particular with 3D printing fully transparent materials.

I work with a company that does this and quite frankly is the only one in the world that can do this without the need to post processing.

Now before you say I am spamming you please look at this website (www.luxexcel.com) or google it, and let me know if you find this interesting to see if it could work for you projects.

Just drop me line if you find it interesting/ would like to see if it can work.

I checked out the info about transparent detail plastic last year and thought it was not completely transparent. The picture on this item looks OK but I would prefer to see a proper photo. Shapeways have been putting in improvements(?) to website and materials. If it as good as it suggests, then ideal for coach windows.

Shapeways isn't just about 3D printing, I believe they do metal items by printing in some form of wax which is then used in lost-wax casting, could this clear plastic be a similar case? 

HI Guys I found this post and thought I just reply to see if I could help out here.

I have some experience with 3D printing and in particular with 3D printing fully transparent materials.

I work with a company that does this and quite frankly is the only one in the world that can do this without the need to post processing.

Now before you say I am spamming you please look at this website (www.luxexcel.com) or google it, and let me know if you find this interesting to see if it could work for you projects.

Just drop me line if you find it interesting/ would like to see if it can work.

I'll PM you when I am free

with reference to Shapeways, they have a lot of info on each of the materials they offer. I had thought the transparent material was actually printed. Would have to have a search around their website, as I had thought I had read something about it not being completely transparent. Maybe they are now using the moulding method. Doesn't matter to me as that would be fine for the type of items I would want it for.  I would like to try it out and see if it works to create flush glazing for some of the models I have designed.

Now a days there are quite some companies that offer a 3d printing services with "more or less") transparent materials.

I am saying "more or less" because, really !!, Luxexcel (www.luxexcel.com) is the only company that offers true transparent 3D printing without the need of post processing!

Other services that offer 3D printing are:

www.Shapeways.com

www.i.materialise.com

www.sculpteo.com

www.ponoko.com

There are quite a few more but these are the best know. Shapeways already has quite some models trains in its gallery 

If anyone is interested in exploring our transparent printing again just drop me a line  pp.cornelissen@luxexcel.com

Cheers

Peter Paul

• RMweb Gold

The Shapeways text says that it is translucent not transparent. For truck indicators, that would not matter. Might be OK for us in the smaller scales.

with reference to Shapeways, they have a lot of info on each of the materials they offer. I had thought the transparent material was actually printed. Would have to have a search around their website, as I had thought I had read something about it not being completely transparent. Maybe they are now using the moulding method. Doesn't matter to me as that would be fine for the type of items I would want it for.  I would like to try it out and see if it works to create flush glazing for some of the models I have designed.

Transparent Detail in action:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71752-sydney-waratah-a-set-in-n-scale/?p=1160609

Mitch

• RMweb Gold

I think that level of transparency is fine in N and probably for TT as well. Not convinced for larger scales.

Like the model although not familiar with the prototype.

interesting about the oversize issue. I wonder if this might be a problem at the Shapeways end, as there have been some problems in the past. If  it is something that can not be fixed at their end, then it is not difficult to add a scaling instruction at end of my design code anyway.

The Shapeways text says that it is translucent not transparent. For truck indicators, that would not matter. Might be OK for us in the smaller scales.

Most of the translucency comes from the surface finish. To get the clearest piece, both sides would would have to be sanded very smooth and then covered with a clear gloss varnish.

I've printed items in FUD from shapeways, then sprayed acrylic gloss on it. That makes it transparent but sometimes the spray can cloud up - so watch that you don't spray too much. I've got photos at this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/71752-sydney-waratah-a-set-in-n-scale/&do=findComment&comment=1042659

Edit: hah! that's what I get for speed reading....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have created a small overview to compare and show what I mean when talking about transparent 3D printed plastic.

The left (Printoptical) is what we call transparent. 2nd from the left is SLA from I-materialise and the other two are from Shapeways.

(Here you can find some more info about it: https://www.luxexcel.com/3d-printing/transparent-3d-printing/)

Let me know what you think of it.

Luxexcel-Transparent-combo-2-1024x711.jp

I have not heard from anybody of you but I am quite willing to do test if someone has a file we can use....?

Peter Paul

Hi I have created a small overview to compare and show what I mean when talking about transparent 3D printed plastic.

The left (Printoptical) is what we call transparent. 2nd from the left is SLA from I-materialise and the other two are from Shapeways.

(Here you can find some more info about it: https://www.luxexcel.com/3d-printing/transparent-3d-printing/)

Luxexcel-Transparent-combo-2-1024x711.jp

I have not heard from anybody of you but I am quite willing to do test if someone has a file we can use....?

Peter Paul

The image isn't showing up....

(Here you can find some more info about it: https://www.luxexcel.com/3d-printing/transparent-3d-printing/)[/size]

Peter Paul

Very impressive - I might just have the thing for you to try as a sample - I'll send you a pm.

Archived