Hornby to move offices from Margate to Sandwich

Graham_Muz

I swear, the next time I hear (or read) the phrase "not fit for purpose", I will use some very NAUGHTY words!  I suppose downsizing your premises and realising your assets through property sales is a good idea from an accountants point of view, but it does smack of giving up on a proud heritage.  It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Visitor Centre.

Sandwich, eh.  A very nice place but, dare I say it, even more remote than Margate?  I know everything is done on t'internet nowadays, but by the map, you've got to get there through either Dover or Canterbury, though as Hornby are not making or warehousing as a core business operation anymore it doesn't really matter.

• RMweb Premium

Well at least now all railway modellers can have a Beer & and a Sandwich, all we need now is Bachmann to move to Bakewell

Just a bit of fun.....

Terry

• RMweb Gold
ELTEL, on 10 Feb 2015 - 10:30, said:

all we need now is Bachmann to move to Bakewell

Cue Kenneth Horne on his Round The Horne radio show about 50 years ago:

"On Monday I got my teeth into a nice Bakewell Tart. On Tuesday I left Bakewell and ....."

• RMweb Gold

Seems a sensible thing to do.

Given all the things that Hornby don't do themselves any more, they must be rattling around in premises far larger than they need at Margate.

Also, having read posts about it being unsafe to extract some old tooling, parts of the old building are evidently unsound.

John

I swear, the next time I hear (or read) the phrase "not fit for purpose", I will use some very NAUGHTY words! I suppose downsizing your premises and realising your assets through property sales is a good idea from an accountants point of view, but it does smack of giving up on a proud heritage. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Visitor Centre.

Their current premises at Westwood are too big and as John mentioned need a lot of work doing on them. Actually part of the factory is being used by the team restoring the Dreamland heritage roller coaster. There was talk of them moving the visitor centre to Margate to take advantage of proximity of the Turner centre and the redeveloped Dreamland. There's certainly some useable real estate handy. However when I mentioned this to the visitor centre's manager it was denied but I don't put much credence to that as it would be a logical move.

even more remote than Margate?

Ah No... dual carriageway virtually to the front door plus this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-31072917

though personally far less happy with this particular development but that's another issue.

Stu

Seems a sensible thing to do.

Given all the things that Hornby don't do themselves any more, they must be rattling around in premises far larger than they need at Margate.

Also, having read posts about it being unsafe to extract some old tooling, parts of the old building are evidently unsound.

John

The current building is stuffed with asbestos and there are warning signs all over the old factory about the roof being unsafe, so we can assume that it would be very expensive to put right. That said, I'm sure the office frontage is listed, so would be more difficult to demolish for redevelopment (although when has that been allowed to stand in the way of 'progress'?). I've asked Hornby for confirmation of what will happen to the Visitor Centre. Clearly it could be a big loss for Margate though, which needs all the help it can get to attract visitors.

• RMweb Gold

I'm not entirely sure why we tend to look on a company's use of a longstanding site as being critical to its future?  True the names 'Hornby' (nee Triang) and Margate might, in some respects, be synonymous - but the reality for many of us of a certain age is that the name Hornby is far more synonymous with Liverpool than a faded seaside town in the bottom right hand corner of the country.  And as anyone who has tried to put modern IT into old buildings will know there is an awful lot to be said for getting out of them and going somewhere which is better suited to the needs of present day business management and equipment.  

Let's look on the bright side - at least they're not shifting everything out of the country, and in modern commuting terms we are only looking at a fairly short distance between the old out of town site and the new out of town site.

I swear, the next time I hear (or read) the phrase "not fit for purpose", I will use some very NAUGHTY words!  I suppose downsizing your premises and realising your assets through property sales is a good idea from an accountants point of view, but it does smack of giving up on a proud heritage.  It'll be interesting to see what they do with the Visitor Centre.

Sandwich, eh.  A very nice place but, dare I say it, even more remote than Margate?  I know everything is done on t'internet nowadays, but by the map, you've got to get there through either Dover or Canterbury, though as Hornby are not making or warehousing as a core business operation anymore it doesn't really matter.

Not true. M2/A2 and then the A256. No need to go through either Canterbury or Dover

There's no mention in this story or the Trading Statement about the Visitor Centre but I will ask next time I speak to anyone.

Hi All,

Whilst the comments on this story are interesting there is one thing above all else that should be mentioned.

Should this turn out to be true then this really will be the end of an era.

I'm sure that many Members of RMWeb will, like me, have started out in this hobby with red boxes proclaming 'Westwood, Margate, Kent' and to think that this is now to come to an end really does seem like nothing will ever be the same again.

Yes our friends of the red box have gone through many changes of fortune over the last sixty years or so but 'Westwood' has remained constant.

Lets raise a glass to the old place - it served us well did it not.

The end of an era indeed.

Regards

Hi All,

Whilst the comments on this story are interesting there is one thing above all else that should be mentioned.

Should this turn out to be true then this really will be the end of an era.

I'm sure that many Members of RMWeb will, like me, have started out in this hobby with red boxes proclaming 'Westwood, Margate, Kent' and to think that this is now to come to an end really does seem like nothing will ever be the same again.

Yes our friends of the red box have gone through many changes of fortune over the last sixty years or so but 'Westwood' has remained constant.

Lets raise a glass to the old place - it served us well did it not.

The end of an era indeed.

Regards

Hi,

Glad to see you are still active. I've sent you a couple of PMs which you may have missed. Would you be so kind as to look them out and respond, please?

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi,

Glad to see you are still active. I've sent you a couple of PMs which you may have missed. Would you be so kind as to look them out and respond, please?

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I've just had a look right through my PM list and cannot see anything either under your name or unanswered at all.

Please PM me again asap to check that all messages are getting through and to repeat whatever was in them.

Many thanks,

Regards

Edit to correct typo.

There are some on here which remember blue & white and red & white striped boxes which emanated from Liverpool which in my humble opinion were a far better product in its day than the stuff from Margate.

Yes yes, and the planet's been going downhill ever since. but hardly relevant to the topic.

:crickey !, must be feeling tetchy today.......

Gather there will be some financial benefits to the move due to Discovery Park's status.  As for the current building, built '54, and whether it's listed or not no one locally seems to know the answer but could easily be urban myth.

Stu

Hi Paul,

I've just had a look right through my PM list and cannot see anything either under your name or unanswered at all.

Please PM me again asap to check that all messages are getting through and to repeat whatever was in them.

Many thanks,

Regards

Edit to correct typo.

Thanks for getting back so promptly.

I do beg your pardon. A case of mistaken identity.

I've been trying to get a response from 'Weatherman' who is an entirely different person. I am sorry to have troubled you.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks for getting back so promptly.

I do beg your pardon. A case of mistaken identity.

I've been trying to get a response from 'Weatherman' who is an entirely different person. I am sorry to have troubled you.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

No problem at all and no appology needed.

You would be trying to contact an exhibition demonstrator from the south coast i'm guessing -name of Tom.

Depending on what you are after I might be able to offer some info in private -please PM if it might help you.

Regards

Hi,

The old Triang factory at Westwood occupies a particular place in the social history of the country as it was home to one of the major toy ranges that did much to shape the future of many people.

As its not listed perhaps the time has come to start a campaign to get it so - or at the very least the iconic frontage if nothing else.

Regards

I suppose downsizing your premises and realising your assets through property sales is a good idea

Have you seen property prices in Margate recently? They are not going to get much.

Sandwich, eh. A very nice place but, dare I say it, even more remote than Margate?

But at least it doesn't get the sort of write-up that Margate town centre does!

I was involved in fitting out the buildings.

Cost a small fortune and they were only used  for a few years.

Got to be better than the Margate site and with certain grants available looks to me to be a smart move.

It does give me some increased confidence that Hornby are looking to the future.

Bernard

Re post 4 above, and any other comments about how far away the new site is, I live in Kent and am down in the Thanet area a lot, and the new location on the former Pfizers site on the edge of Sandwich is less than 5 minutes off the end of the Thanet Way (A299 and A253). If your coming from anywhere else in Kent or from that direction, it's quicker to get to (because of Thanet's traffic) than the old Westwood site.

Archived