LSWR Liveries - could you talk me through them ?

Could anyone talk me through the livery options for the LSWR please

I am interested in general terms and not for a specific item of stock at this point.

I see there were various greens and browns for locos and a salmon colour for coaches with either brown or black - is that right ?

Would all goods stock have been brown ? What about brake vans ?

Also what colours would have been used on buildings and lamps etc ?

Locos - Adams converted from umber to pea green, Drummond chose a darker green (he called it tartan green) and Urie went for sage green; which was initially chosen by the SR before it was brightened into olive green.

Coaches -  Adams converted from teak or scumble to the salmon & brown livery.  Electric stock was painted green; which was taken up by SR for all carriage stock.

Wagons - brown, brake vans with venetian red ends; adopted by the SR.

There has been an LSWR building thread recently.  Remember that left hand twist lamps were painted differently from right hand twist lamps.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

You can buy the old Livery Register from the HMRS new for two pounds plus postage; or used from Amazon for 4.99 plus postage! There is also an addendum which costs 1.00 from the HMRS (and I suspect no extra postage)

The new book is much more comprehensive and has specially prepared colour swatches for 17 of the most commonly used colours, and covers only the LSWR not the SR as well.

Jonathan David

Edit: 17 rather than 13, my typo

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies

I was so excited to know there was a book I bought a second hand copy about 2 hours before I found out about the new one from the above post.

Ooops

I think I might have to give my piggybank another rattle soon

I've been similarly caught out by certain hardbacks that were reprinted in softback under amended titles with different cover photos.

That's the trouble with this internet lark, it makes it so easy to make snap purchasing decisions before becoming aware that something might have changed.

John

Archived