CAF to build new LHCS for Caledonian Sleeper

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

you tell them to get the train, purchase a ticket and reclaim it from Serco, problem solved.

You might be gullible enough to believe that line but I ain't.

its the kind of lined i’d expect for a £9.99 ryanair ticket.

Did include the name, direct phone number and address to send your claim to ?

What happens if your travelling without a credit card yourself ?

This should be a none event, even WCRC manage to get people home when a steam railtour fails in the middle of nowhere on a route it might only travel every blue moon.

VS and CS are side by side every day... Preston even provides VS staff for the CS service when it stops... the first london is 1R07 from Lancaster, and stables overnight in Preston p6 right next to where this played out, and departed ecs to Lancaster as 5R07 as soon as CS arrived... that 390 was no way full from Lancaster on a Saturday am.. I've taken it myself. CS often will allow ticket holders to take CS to London from Preston.

My only guess is VS CS relations are becoming strained.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Which is precisely why it should all be set up in advance by agreements with other operators.  When things go whatsits upwards all that then needs to happen is  your Control to talk to their Control and Robert is your mother's brother.

Now the interesting question is obviously whether or not, apart from having an agreement in place, Serco have actually got a Control of some sort. (who issued their Operating Licence I wonder?)

Mike, when part of Scotrail their Control in Glasgow (co-located with NR Control) managed the Sleeper service, and I witnessed how difficult it could be for them to deal with disruption, expecially when trains were out of Scotland (although we did try to assist by liaising with LNW Route Control if possible). Once Serco took over operational control passed to GB Railfreight in Peterborough, which instantly made liaison between NR Control(s) and their Control much more complicated; There is really no substitute for being able to discuss issues face-to-face and exchange ideas. Plus of course all the experience and knowledge built up in Scotrail Control was immediately lost.

The Sleeper performance recently has been dire, and the introduction of the new stock, which should have been a showpiece for rail, an embarassment. However, in Serco's defence, the BBC article says that they did request ticket acceptance, but it was initially declined due to service disruption, before being agreed later. What actually happened; Were passengers actually told to buy another ticket, or were they given the option of waiting for road transport (very slow) or waiting for ticket acceptance later ? We don't know. And of course anyone with a non-TOC specific ticket could have boarded another Operator's trains anyway.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2019 at 00:20, russ p said:

Serco is a horrible company,  I've had a lot of spells in NHS hospitals everything was fine apart from food and cleaning  both of which were done by serco,.

One incident was the cleaner was wiping the floor then he went to wipe my phone with the same cloth! 

I went into a rant then realised the cleaner was having an assessment by some idiot serco manager,  my bed and phone were cleaned by a NHS member of staff  but serco should not be there.  They cut corners,  treat staff badly  so if it goes bust bring it on and the shareholders lose money... hard luck

You can't say that about Serco. The CEO is the grandson of Winston Churchill, and has lots of friends in lots of high places. He went to Eton don't you know, and has an OBE. Surely those qualifications alone make him the ideal candidate for gaining lucrative government contracts on a 'jobs for the boys' basis? 

Criticism of these pillars of the community should be unheard of. I do hope you don't get a visit from the black helicopter. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

You might be gullible enough to believe that line but I ain't.

its the kind of lined i’d expect for a £9.99 ryanair ticket.

Did include the name, direct phone number and address to send your claim to ?

What happens if your travelling without a credit card yourself ?

This should be a none event, even WCRC manage to get people home when a steam railtour fails in the middle of nowhere on a route it might only travel every blue moon.

VS and CS are side by side every day... Preston even provides VS staff for the CS service when it stops... the first london is 1R07 from Lancaster, and stables overnight in Preston p6 right next to where this played out, and departed ecs to Lancaster as 5R07 as soon as CS arrived... that 390 was no way full from Lancaster on a Saturday am.. I've taken it myself. CS often will allow ticket holders to take CS to London from Preston.

My only guess is VS CS relations are becoming strained.

I've never said it's right but faced with a situation at 5:20 where Serco have a trainload of passengers, Virgin have a train but for whatever reason cannot just accept the passengers and perhaps some of the passengers on the Serco train need to be in London at the expected arrival time (perhaps on way to Heathrow for example or to a Eurostar) the Serco Train manager without authority or permission to do otherwise made a suggestion to those people who urgently needed to get the train to London that they pay and reclaim whilst he sorts out the mess he was in at Preston.

Don't label me gullible, I've been around long enough to know we're all calling something here without being in full possession of all the facts so lets not start insulting one another.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 months later...

Not a good Friday night for the sleeper. If I have it right, the southbound lowland service from Edinburgh was cancelled and its passengers were transferred to the southbound highlander on its call at Edinburgh in the small hours. Then, the following, which impacted on the northbound Edinburgh service as its loco was needed for rescue duties.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C75081/2020-01-31/detailed

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Mark_A said:

Not a good Friday night for the sleeper. If I have it right, the southbound lowland service from Edinburgh was cancelled and its passengers were transferred to the southbound highlander on its call at Edinburgh in the small hours. Then, the following, which impacted on the northbound Edinburgh service as its loco was needed for rescue duties.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C75081/2020-01-31/detailed

I also hear that 92020 failed and was rescued by 92023. The train was then running at least six hours late earlier on. 

1M16 (the Up Highlander) arrived at Euston 395 minutes late......at 1422 vice 0747 !

My Scotrail service into Glasgow this morning, due in at 0828, was delayed slightly at Eglinton St by 1S26 (the Down Lowlander); Only around an hour late but running with the full train (ie Glasgow and Edinburgh portions) to Central, so therefore had to cross over to Platform 11 vice the usual 1.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, caradoc said:

1M16 (the Up Highlander) arrived at Euston 395 minutes late......at 1422 vice 0747 !

My Scotrail service into Glasgow this morning, due in at 0828, was delayed slightly at Eglinton St by 1S26 (the Down Lowlander); Only around an hour late but running with the full train (ie Glasgow and Edinburgh portions) to Central, so therefore had to cross over to Platform 11 vice the usual 1.

Wow, that's incredibly late for the arrival of the up highlander. What as the issue with the down lowlander? Was it due to issues with the loco/s or was this something to do with the up highlander running so late?

Thanks in advance. 

3 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Wow, that's incredibly late for the arrival of the up highlander. What as the issue with the down lowlander? Was it due to issues with the loco/s or was this something to do with the up highlander running so late?

Thanks in advance. 

I take it that the loco booked to work the Edinburgh portion (1B26) from Carstairs was the one used to assist 1M16; Probably the Driver too.

• Thanks 1