Far North Highlands of Scotland

Apologies to the Admin if in the incorrect section.

I have two question regarding my layout "Tigh Charrann".

1. Would a Class 27 be an occassional sight on the Kyle Line? I have looked at lots of photos of the line in the period, and can't seem to see on.

2. Would the following bridge be suitable for use in the Highlands of Scotland?

http://www.stocktonmodeller.co.uk/detail.aspx?id=3400&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=PriceComp&utm_term=Froogle&utm_content=None&utm_campaign=PriceComp1

Sorry only link I could find, as there isn't a good photo of it on my Blog.

If unsuitable, what would be more suitable as a scenic break?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

1. Would a Class 27 be an occassional sight on the Kyle Line? I have looked at lots of photos of the line in the period, and can't seem to see one.

So far I've not seen any evidence of 27s on the Kyle line - up until 1975-ish it was mainly 24/1s with a few 26s, after 1975 it was 26s until the 37s started arriving in the 80s. The 27s weren't fitted with headlights which (I believe) would have pretty much excluded them from use on the Kyle and Far North lines.

Andy B)

I think it's fair to say that the chances of a 27 on the Kyle line are vanishingly small. It's certainly not advisable if you're aiming at a prototypical feel. Type 2s in Scotland do seem to have had quite well-defined home-turf; when the NBLs were about this was probably very wise too - diagramming them where they could be kept an eye on wink.gif

Thanks guys, my current fleet comprises of 3 x 37s (2 x BR Blue and 1 x LL with Westie) and 1 x 27 at the moment. I do want to get the protypical feel of the Kyle Line in the mid 80s. However I do require a DMU for the branchline, which class could I get away with?

I can feel some exchanges going on this weekend.

Thanks guys, my current fleet comprises of 3 x 37s (2 x BR Blue and 1 x LL with Westie) and 1 x 27 at the moment. I do want to get the protypical feel of the Kyle Line in the mid 80s. However I do require a DMU for the branchline, which class could I get away with?

Again, I haven't seen evidence of DMUs on the kyle line until the 156s arrived. However, using units that made it as far as inverness, possibilities would be :

• Class 101
  • Class 120 - used on the Inverness-Aberdeen lines (see here : http://railcar.co.uk/his120-129/120abis.htm)
  • Class 122 Bubble car
  • Class 107 - probably lost as they ran mainly in the central belt but modellers license may apply :D

The 101 is available from Hornby, the 122 can be converted from a Hornby/Lima 121 and the 120 can be built from a DC Kits kit or converted from a Lima 117 using the craftsman kit. Something approximating a 107 can be had by renumbering a Bachmann 108 (the version with the headcode boxes).

Andy B)

So far as the bridge is concerned - probably! We have bridges of just about every sort, metal, stone, humpbacked, flat - I don't think there is a generic one - but someone will probably prove me wrong. In fact there is one the opposite way to the Hornby one (road under, rail over) just beside the Evanton junction on the A9

Thanks for that Andy.

I think in that case, a Single coach train may be in order for the branch to Shieldaig. I was looking at the New Bachmann Cravens Unit, but I think a single BSK loco hauled may have to serve the branch then. I do want my layout fairly prototypical.

Way back when Rail magazine was called Rail Enthusiast, there used to be a section that reported the various happenings Region by Region. I recall trawling through several year's worth to see if I could justify a Class 27 on my proposed Far North layout (yes, it is still proposed !). There were at least two reports of Class 27s reaching Wick !

So, the answer is yes, you can run a Class 27. To maintain realism, though, this should only be occasionally and you will obviously need several times more Class 26s.

Hallo

I had a the same dilemma with class 26's going to Mallaig, however I was lucky that some photos were available to prove the event.

With so many class 27 ending up on Inverness depot, I can't see that they didn't venture as far as the Kyle, hopefully someone will produce the photographic evidence to prove it. Somewhere on the old forum, and I think on my Glenuig thread, is a similar debate about class 40's getting to the west coast, this happened at least twice, excluding the tours.

Gary

Hi all

I posted on a scottish forum for help with this here are results so far hope this helps

27008 Dingwall to Achnasheen on top of 37035 on the 0655 INV-KYL on 06 Sep

1984. The 27 was removed at ACH to work a ballast train and had worked from

INV.

27005/041 INV-Lairg and back on Sunday 04 Aug 1985. Out on the 0805

INV-Lairg and back on the 1110 from Lairg.

27065 on the Thurso branch on 13 Sep 1985. (37035 INV-Georgemas and back in

order to get 13 miles of 27!)

try the link below for a pic

http://alan-lea.fotopic.net/p7413755.html

rgds

Dave

Just to add to various posts above, 27s did sometimes work to both Kyle and the Far North, but only after IS gained an allocation (notionally for the Aberdeens, once the 126 units had moved on). I wouldnt like to say how often but I'd wager it was more common than 26s up the WHL were. Obviously by then 37s were becoming the norm anyway, but IIRC there was a pic in a 'Motive Power Monthly' of a pair on a Far North train

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen a photo of a 27 on the Kyle Line, but only one. You want a stag on your 37, not a West Highland Rat Dog!

Rick

Archived