LSWR Coaches - info wanted please

Please don't regard this as a winge, but I have over 600 pages of information in front of me. The implication of your request is that someone puts his or her life on hold to read through this information and summarise it for your delectation. Don't think you will find anyone that stupid. So I'm going to rephrase your request to - "Could anyone tell me where I can find out about what coaches were in use on the LSWR - around 1910 -1915 ish"

The answer is there are three books by Gordon Weddell:

LSWR Carriages volume one - Wild Swan - ISBN 1 874103 08 9

LSWR Carriages in the 20th Century - OPC - ISBN 0 86093 555 8

LSWR Carriages volume 3 Non Passenger Carriage Stock - Kestrel - ISBN 0 95448 595 5

Suggest you beg, borrow (inter library service) or steal.

Bill

Hi Bill

Thanks for the reply

I have the last one but have not yet found either of the first two for sale at a sensible price

I would like to apoligise to anyone who was considering giving me a little help and now feels that doing so would make them "stupid"

Please note the above said tongue in cheek

Edited by ThePurplePrimer

• RMweb Premium

The first volume can be had for under £40; there's one on amazon at £30; if it came out now you'd pay that for it. Vol 2 is very hard to find, with frequent searching I found one at under £100. Bill's right, there's a lot of information. Perhaps you could refine your search (eg all bogie carriages, or are you also after 4-6 wheelers?). 

I'll type up a summary of types but it will take a while.

Possibly helpful links:  http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/lswr_coach_project.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/camperdown/sets/72157629334241977/

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/srcoaching

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Pete

Thanks for the reply

I am in the middle of having another look online for the books

Thanks for the offer a summary but if it is too much of a job please dont put yourself out.

To be honest I didnt realise it would be such a big and complicated subject

But thats ok as it sounds like it will be interesting when I do find the books

Rob, if you do want a copy of the LSWR carriage books I think our club has some of the volumes for sale at reasonable prices as part of an estate - the chap who is dealing with that is currently away but I believe I'll see him on Sunday if you wish me to enquire?

I terms of kits have a look at the Roxey range of etched kits http://roxeymouldings.co.uk/category/74/4mm-scale-coach-kits/

Jon

• Like 1

Thanks Jon

PM incoming

Regrettably the member doing the estate has seen the prices these are advertised on the interweb and actually believes that they are worth this much - I disagree, I'm quite convinced this started as a fat fingers extra '0' which everyone else has believed to be the true worth, marked theirs the same and all wonder why they don't sell....

Sorry,

J

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

I have Vol 1 of the set, but I've never seen a  vol 2 listed or mentioned anywhere ... I recall there were publishing problems 20+ years ago which delayed it ... did it actually get published?

Thanks, David

• RMweb Premium

It was indeed published; I have a copy. I have no idea why, but the print run may have been quite short, as it's very hard to come by and the few sellers on Amazon etc tend to list it at well over £100 or even silly money (e.g. £399). I got one for slightly less by dint of repeated searches until one came up, funnily enough at a bookseller quite local to me; he drove round with it!

Pete

Could anyone tell me something about what coaches were in use on the LSWR - around 1910 -1915 ish

The other thing that might help reduce the quantity of data required - Is this for a specific area on the LSWR, as the coaches used on say secondary lines in Dorset or Cornwall, will be a bit limited in types, compared to those working out of Waterloo.

Pleased to hear you've found a Volume (or two) of Weddell's Coaches...  I hadn't realised how £££'s they are worth now, especially as I have Vol's 1 & 2. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

LSWR 17 was evidently clerestory. See : https://www.flickr.com/photos/kimctomcat/14103517130/in/pool-2031425@N22

Can anyone advise more on this one? 

If not, I'll research it at the NRM

This is covered in some detail in Gordon Weddell's first volume.

No 17 was built in 1884, one of six first class saloons. It is actually a bogie coach, 47ft 6in long, not a six wheeler as captioned, and had a normal roof. In 1887 it was reconstructed as a Royal Saloon, to replace an earlier 6 wheeled one, receiving the clerestory roof in the process. In 1913 it was altered again to become a less regal picnic saloon, and withdrawn from service in 1931. It was then bought by a young man for £70 and transported, initially by rail to Chichester from Selhurst, and then by road to West Chiltington, where it was placed on sleepers, where it remained until 1989, when it was due to be demolished. Although offered to the Bluebell Railway, they rejected it, but it was rescued, as the Flickr photo shows, but Gordon doesn't, unfortunately continue the story. I am sure I have seen an update, probably in one of the steam magazines, but I cannot recall where.

• RMweb Premium

This is covered in some detail in Gordon Weddell's first volume.

No 17 was built in 1884, one of six first class saloons. It is actually a bogie coach, 47ft 6in long, not a six wheeler as captioned, and had a normal roof. In 1887 it was reconstructed as a Royal Saloon, to replace an earlier 6 wheeled one, receiving the clerestory roof in the process. In 1913 it was altered again to become a less regal picnic saloon, and withdrawn from service in 1931. It was then bought by a young man for £70 and transported, initially by rail to Chichester from Selhurst, and then by road to West Chiltington, where it was placed on sleepers, where it remained until 1989, when it was due to be demolished. Although offered to the Bluebell Railway, they rejected it, but it was rescued, as the Flickr photo shows, but Gordon doesn't, unfortunately continue the story. I am sure I have seen an update, probably in one of the steam magazines, but I cannot recall where.

I'm not 100% sure (I'm not a Southern fan, so wouldn't like to show too much ignorance!), but I think this vehicle appears in Model Railway Constructor 1973 June page 219. Certainly there is mention of some conversions to Royal Saloons, of which No. 20 became a kitchen brake.

• 1 year later...

No 17 was built in 1884, one of six first class saloons. It is actually a bogie coach, 47ft 6in long, not a six wheeler as captioned, and had a normal roof. In 1887 it was reconstructed as a Royal Saloon, to replace an earlier 6 wheeled one, receiving the clerestory roof in the process. In 1913 it was altered again to become a less regal picnic saloon, and withdrawn from service in 1931. It was then bought by a young man for £70 and transported, initially by rail to Chichester from Selhurst, and then by road to West Chiltington, where it was placed on sleepers, where it remained until 1989, when it was due to be demolished. Although offered to the Bluebell Railway, they rejected it, but it was rescued...

Well we certainly know the answer to that question now... thanks to Peter Snow (Great Rail Restorations Ep4 of 5, Channel 4, 27 June 2018).