The Loco Shed, Besse o'th Barn, North Manchester

muddys-blues

Hello, I know this shop has had a few mentions in other threads such as shops near Bury, or near Manchester, near Bolton etc etc, but I thought it deserves it own thread, this shop can be found at

48 Bury Old Rd, Whitefield, (Prestwich Border), Manchester M45 6TL

0161 772 0103

It is a great traditional model shop, caters for the modeller in most needs, all the latest release in various gauges, plenty of sundry items such as adhesives, paints, scenic items etc

They also sell second hand stock and offer a fair part exchange service, and for those of you who may not know, the shop is run by "slim" Jim, the really cheery guy from Modelfair when it traded from Urmston in M/CR, so this is a friendly and well run business, if you are after that long post rarity or gem you have been after give Jim or his friendly band of knowledgable assistants a call, they are always happy to help.

And just to add the usual disclaimer, I am just a happy regular customer of theirs, way back in the Modelfair days.

Give them a visit you will not be disappointed.

Craig "exiled Shaker man now living in a far flung corner of North Wales"

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with the above, 

Great service, occasionally with Jim dashing between customers as a small business in a small shop it's not practical to have more members of staff all the time. 

It's a bit of an aladin's cave and occasionally you might need to ask where an item is / if they have it as you might not be able to see it! 

Always welcoming and willing to order items for customers if he doesn't have it in stock, including second hand items on the occasion that I've got some cash tucked away my wife doesn't know about :P 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Updating to 2019...

Jim and The Locoshed are still going strong, aided and abetted by a team of knowledgeable assistants - Chris, Paul, Rob being the usual suspects! Jim also takes a stall out to exhibitions and toy fairs.

A brew and a biscuit is usually on offer, and there is often a clubhouse feeling in the shop - fellow customers are always happy to chat, share their knowledge or even wield a soldering iron on your behalf! Staff and some customers are also gold mines of prototype information, too!

Great service, and Jim will often be open to negotiation! Second hand items galore (and for someone like me always an opportunity to sort stock out into something resembling a logical order!). Loco chipping, repairs etc.

Stock mainly OO, but a selection of HO, O gauge and even some G gauge in the shop. Plastic kits including ships and vehicles as well as railway related items and buildings. Well stocked for resin buildings and as mentioned earlier carries most of the necessaries for a railway modeller.

All in all a "traditional" model railway shop. No connections, simply a satisfied customer. Recommended!

NB closed Sundays and Mondays

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added days the shop is closed
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/08/2019 at 20:03, ianmacc said:

Great shop that I wish was nearer....

Hi Ianmacc

I am certain I will get bombed for saying this when so many modellers do not have a local model shop, but sometimes I think The LocoShed is a little too near for the health of my wallet! :laugh_mini2:

Steve S

Just noticed...

The title is incorrect -- the shop is somewhere called Besses o'th Barn. This is  the name of the nearest tram stop on the Metrolink tram system, and also the name of one of the oldest and most famous Brass Bands in the UK - Besses o'th Barn Brass Band!

Local history lesson over -- the shop is well worth a visit too!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Just noticed...

The title is incorrect -- the shop is somewhere called Besses o'th Barn. This is  the name of the nearest tram stop on the Metrolink tram system, and also the name of one of the oldest and most famous Brass Bands in the UK - Besses o'th Barn Brass Band!

Local history lesson over -- the shop is well worth a visit too!

Besses o'th' Barn in full :P 

Exiled native.

The shop is on the wrong side of the m60 to be in Besse's oth barn more like Prestwich as the address is Bury Old Road! 

Should now as my late mother was brought up in Prestwich just down the road from where the shop is! 

Edited by johnd

• 7 months later...

Jim is still running a mail order service, and is available to speak to on the phone for enquiries during limited opening hours.  For latest news during the Covid-19 shutdown, visit the website www.thelocoshedmcr.co.uk

Steve S

• Informative/Useful 1